PDA

View Full Version : MAK 1 Star is now sold, new MAK or Yoder YS640?

Groundhog66
08-04-2016, 06:09 PM
I listed my MAK 1 Star for sale last night, and it sold within the hour. I'm contemplating on upgrading to the new MAK 1Star, it is bigger and better, but I'm also considering a Yoder. I have a local dealer that I can get a Yoder YS640 for $1600 out the door. Can any Yoder owners list some likes and dislikes, it will definitely help me make up my mind.

TomRaz
08-04-2016, 07:59 PM
I would go for the MAK 2 Star General

Groundhog66
08-04-2016, 08:40 PM
I would go for the MAK 2 Star General

For me, there is really no reason to upgrade, the new 1 Star has the same cooking surface I believe. You can buy the YS640 w/Competition cart, for less money than the 2 Star.

BIGLEGGA
08-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Comp cart is a must if you will be moving it around much at all, added benefit of the cart is the nice stainless shelves. Adjustable damper is nice to have to be able to create different temp zones, but there are no markings to tell you where to set it for even heat. The thing is built like a tank so no real worries about durability.

More specific questions would be easier to answer, anything in particular you are worried about with the Yoder?

Groundhog66
08-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Comp cart is a must if you will be moving it around much at all, added benefit of the cart is the nice stainless shelves. Adjustable damper is nice to have to be able to create different temp zones, but there are no markings to tell you where to set it for even heat. The thing is built like a tank so no real worries about durability.

More specific questions would be easier to answer, anything in particular you are worried about with the Yoder?

I won't be moving it much, but the comp cart sure would be nice when I have to. My worry is that it's too dang heavy to hoist into the back of a truck, it'll need to be trailered everywhere.

No specific questions really, just getting a feel for how folks are liking them, and what their beefs are (if any).

TheDeuce
08-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Here is BigLegga's comp cart next to my Battle Box for reference. The Yoder is built like a tank for sure.

http://i65.tinypic.com/295edj4.jpg

mattmountz94
08-05-2016, 06:00 AM
Love my yoder. Wasn't happy with fuel consumption on bbq delight but since changing to lumberjack that has changed.

I wish i had the comp cart but couldn't see spending that extra money. The basic wheels do suck. I have transported it though twice now without issues. We just use 2 wooden ramps to push it into the truck and to roll down to get out. Just have to make sure you are on concrete or blacktop. Doesn't move it grass or stones.

I would upgrade to the stainless shelf's and the 2 new piece deflector plate.

Hillbilly BBQ
08-05-2016, 08:27 AM
The deflector plate is the downside, get the new one where you can access the fire pot.

Groundhog66
08-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Love my yoder. Wasn't happy with fuel consumption on bbq delight but since changing to lumberjack that has changed.

I wish i had the comp cart but couldn't see spending that extra money. The basic wheels do suck. I have transported it though twice now without issues. We just use 2 wooden ramps to push it into the truck and to roll down to get out. Just have to make sure you are on concrete or blacktop. Doesn't move it grass or stones.

I would upgrade to the stainless shelf's and the 2 new piece deflector plate.

The place I'm going to look, has a couple with black comp carts...gonna be hard to say no. By the time you add the SS shelves, it's only like another $400 or so to just get the comp cart, and that includes the SS shelves. I know it's a bit of overkill for the most part, but not having to worry about moving it around is a huge plus.

What about weight, I'm assuming it's too heavy to lift into the bed of a pickup?

The 2 piece diffuser looks like a nice mod, is it purely for fire pit access, or does it serve another purpose?

I've never worked with a damper like the Yoder before, does it function well?

mattmountz94
08-05-2016, 11:48 AM
The place I'm going to look, has a couple with black comp carts...gonna be hard to say no. By the time you add the SS shelves, it's only like another $400 or so to just get the comp cart, and that includes the SS shelves. I know it's a bit of overkill for the most part, but not having to worry about moving it around is a huge plus.

What about weight, I'm assuming it's too heavy to lift into the bed of a pickup?

The 2 piece diffuser looks like a nice mod, is it purely for fire pit access, or does it serve another purpose?

I've never worked with a damper like the Yoder before, does it function well?

Yea i wish i would of looked into it more for $400.00 i would of upgraded to the comp cart.

For weight its heavy. Maybe with 4 big men you could lift it into a truck but i don't know. Finding somewhere to grab would be an issue as well. The ramps work great and just throw them in truck when driving.

The 1 piece deflector is heavy and in order to remove it you must remove all the grates which is a pain. I don't use mine to grill but if you wanted to reverse sear you would literally have to remove all the food and grates to be able to achieve hi temps. With the 2 piece you could just remove the door and go, leaving all the grates inside. Same with cleanup.

I have had great success with the dampener getting temps even from side to side. When i first got it i did some testing and then scratched the handle at different marks so i knew where to have it set for even temps side to side.

KevinJ
08-05-2016, 12:02 PM
YS640 with comp cart weighs 418 pounds, Beast. The 2 piece diffuser is designed for direct grilling with the use of grill grates, the bonus is you have easier access for cleanup.

Smoked Ranger
08-05-2016, 12:19 PM
I currently have a MAK 1 star (1 year old as of July 3rd 2015) and a Yoder YS 640 Comp Cart. Yoder with the diffuser plate door WITHOUT A DOUBT. not that it cooks better, the are comparable, but the versatility and quantity of food you can cook pushes it over the edge. In my opinion there is no question. I love my MAK but can do a lot more with the Yoder.

edit:
Funny this topic should come up today. Just for comparisons sack. About once every 6 months I do a HOT burn of my grills just to sort of clean em up and burn off excess stuff, etc., last weekend I cooked 4 briskets on my Yoder and 4 pork butts on the MAK and had not done that burn in about 6 months or so and thought it was time so I am doing that as we speak. I always crank em up as high as they will go for about 30-45 minutes. They were about done as i was writing this post. The grills are side by side, in Oklahoma, about 90 degrees temp right now - Results:

MAK = 465
YODER = 600

Lots of different options with results like that, if that factors into your decisions or not.

Groundhog66
08-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Great feedback guys, much appreciated!

I have a feeling I'll have regret, if I don't go all out and get the comp cart. Like I said, I won't be transporting it much at this point in time, but when I do, it'll be SO much easier.

KevinJ
08-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Tim you'll be glad you got the cart plus it has the SS shelves, I think the split diffuser is a must get as well. Can't wait to see your first cook on it :thumb:

Groundhog66
08-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Tim you'll be glad you got the cart plus it has the SS shelves, I think the split diffuser is a must get as well. Can't wait to see your first cook on it :thumb:

I'm almost wondering if it'll be too dang big for the patio, too many other cookers back there right now.

KevinJ
08-05-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm almost wondering if it'll be too dang big for the patio, too many other cookers back there right now.It would be too big for mine that's why I was interested in the MAK, small footprint but still can cook up a lot of food.

Groundhog66
08-05-2016, 06:29 PM
It would be too big for mine that's why I was interested in the MAK, small footprint but still can cook up a lot of food.

Have you looked at the Yoder YS480?

jeffturnerjr
08-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Just my two cents...I would take the 640 over the MAk. I love that comp cart

mattmountz94
08-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm almost wondering if it'll be too dang big for the patio, too many other cookers back there right now.

Build a bigger patio:caked:

Groundhog66
08-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Build a bigger patio:caked:

Oh jeez, don't temp me with great ideas. :laugh:

KevinJ
08-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Have you looked at the Yoder YS480?

YS480 with comp cart $2013, YS640 with comp cart $2045, 480 is 53" wide and the 640 is 61", the 640 is a no brainier. I could store it in the garage with the gasser and roll it out back to cook. Just sold my wife on letting me get a BWS G2 Chubby that I'm going to mount on a 30" x 36" SS table and she's worried about it taking up to much patio space :shock:

Can't blame her we're working with a 15' x 10' patio and I don't have much more room in the backyard, poor dogs haves to have somewhere to take care of business.

The new MAK 1 star is 40" wide without side shelf.

Groundhog66
08-05-2016, 09:30 PM
YS480 with comp cart $2013, YS640 with comp cart $2045, 480 is 53" wide and the 640 is 61", the 640 is a no brainier. I could store it in the garage with the gasser and roll it out back to cook. Just sold my wife on letting me get a BWS G2 Chubby that I'm going to mount on a 30" x 36" SS table and she's worried about it taking up to much patio space :shock:

Can't blame her we're working with a 15' x 10' patio and I don't have much more room in the backyard, poor dogs haves to have somewhere to take care of business.

The new MAK 1 star is 40" wide without side shelf.

That's a great price, more expensive out here.

KevinJ
08-05-2016, 09:45 PM
That's a great price, more expensive out here.
Just going by the suggested MSRP on the Yoder's website, the closest Yoder dealer to me is in MS, just over a 215 miles drive and their pricing is consistent with Yoders website.

Groundhog66
08-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Just going by the suggested MSRP on the Yoder's website, the closest Yoder dealer to me is in MS, just over 215 miles drive and their pricing is consistent with Yoders website.

Ah yeah, I think they typically charge shipping on top of that price...at least they do out here (+250 ish).

KevinJ
08-05-2016, 09:59 PM
If they're going to make you or myself for that matter eat the shipping I'd rather order direct and save on the sales tax. I'm not sure if the dealer in MS will add that to the cost but I'll give them a call and let you know.

chrischandler71
08-05-2016, 10:40 PM
I paid 270.00 for shipping from Yoder to Georgia. I don't think I could have driven there and back for that. Also, you are correct I saved the 7% sales tax. I love my YS 640 with cart. I can't imagine moving this thing with out the cart!

TomRaz
08-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Groundhog since I own a MAK 2 Star General and a Yoder 640 on a comp cart hopefully I can give you some valuable feedback

You are correct the MAK 1 Star and MAK 2 Star grills are very similar in cooking surface sizes

The MAK 2 Star is all stainless steel except for the cart section. The Yoder 640 is very heavy duty steel which is great.

The paint on the Yoder tends to flake off and can be repaired with a can of their touch up paint and some easy to follow instructions on their website. But this will be an ongoing issue, it just depends how often you want to perform the touch up work. This does not cause any issues in how the grill performs, this is just cosmetics

The Yoder 640 has a very good controller but I believe the MAK Pellet Boss is the best controller in the industry, 3 probe inputs and wifi options are really nice.

The new igniter the MAK grills offers is the best in the industry. On the Yoder 640 they have made the igniter easy to get to and change if it needs to be replaced.

The flame zone covers on the MAK are easy to work wth, the new two piece diffuser works very nice but it is still on optional part as far as I know at this time.

The Yoder 640 is my go too grill/smoker because of its ability to cook more than the MAK 2 Star.

The way the two grills/smokers seem to handle pellet burning is very different. The MAK seems to generate more visible smoke where the Yoder is more of a stick burner with the thin blue smoke coming out all the time.

The Yoder seems to consume way more pellets in a cook than the MAK

The are both great products from great american companies and they both have great customer support.

Depending if you have a local Yoder dealer that delivers or not may introduce shipping charges that may need to be considered.

So consider yourself lucky you really can't make a bad choice with either one

Groundhog66
08-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Good info, Tom...thank you.

The paint issue is really a bummer, how can they not get that right?

Charcoal_Addict
08-06-2016, 07:09 PM
I'll be getting a MAK 1 Star next year. Most people don't need or can fit a comp cart in most average city lots. Newer Neighbor's have really shrunk the size of most people's yards.

The Pellet Boss will hands down thomp the controller on a Yoder. Get a Kamado for your high heat cooks. Pellet cookers can be push for high temp, a Kamado like the Kamado Joe will absolutely destroy any pellet cooker for cooks over 400 F. I don't understand why anyone would waste money trying to perform sears on a Pellet cooker.

Even a cheap Weber kettle is a better choice for high temp cooks.

Smoked Ranger
08-06-2016, 07:30 PM
With the new heat diffuser plate with access door (removed), direct grill grats installed (the amount of heat these things suck up and hold is incredible), I can get that Yoder YS 640 well above 600 and sear the S*** outta whatever I need to. Not the MAK, 400 is pushing it on that bad boy.

The pellet boss is a fine controller but I do not think it thumps the Yoder's by any means, in fact the Yoder has greater temp control (higher and lower end), which in itself is a pretty sizable advantage. The three temp ports are nice but a huge jump in price to use remotely, but it is a nice feature. As far as build quality, no comparison but in full disclosure for 95% of people both are overkill as far as build quality goes so that is a non factor.

BTW i operate a MAK 1 star and Yoder YS 640 side by side, a couple times a week. They are both FINE units but that Yoder is WAY more versatile and searing is not a problem at all.

And if space is an issue the Yoder won't take up much more meaningful space than a MAK and a Kamado / Kettle especially when you factor in the separation required when you are cooking on the two.

TomRaz
08-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Groundhog I am not sure what the issue is but it can be easily fixed and they even sent me a can of touch up paint

If you think you need a larger grill/smoker then go with a Yoder 640

Groundhog66
08-07-2016, 05:07 PM
So I went down to my local dealer yesterday, cash in hand, but came home empty handed. The YS640 is just too darn big, for the hole I'm trying to fill. Nice cooker for sure, and I love the comp cart, but took a pass.

I'm replacing my MAK 1 Star, and the original plan was to just upgrade to the new model. Since I have other large cookers already, the 640 was definitely overkill. My current options are a Backwoods Party G2, XL & L BGE, so the need for a pellet cooker as large as the 640 is definitely not needed. I MAY consider the 480, it's really all I need to be honest, but it's looking like I may just go with my gut, and grab another MAK 1 Star.