PDA

View Full Version : Yoder 640 drip question

cpw
08-02-2016, 05:26 PM
As you may know, I bought the YS640 that Nugetsius was selling here, and I have a question regarding dripping down the front.

If I'm cooking I'll get runs of grease dripping down the front of the smoker from under the lid. He had ran a bead of RTV around the lid to help combat this, but I think it only minimized it (and now the RTV is pulling off from the lid). The issue is that the grease is getting in between the smoker and cart and causing rust. I bought a can of the touch up paint, but before I go through the trouble of repainting, I'd like to make sure to stop the drips.

If I put a nomex gasket along the bottom lip, would that stop the drips, or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for any help!

Chad

Norwood
08-02-2016, 06:20 PM
I have used foil in the front on my 640. Just Fold down it where the lid opens go past were it dips n between the smoker and cart.

thunderalley3
08-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Chad,
I bought a YS 640 last year and I have about 20 cooks on it and I dont seem to have a drip issue. I am wondering if they changed something on the door? I am in a cast on my leg right now and my cooker is in my trailer but I will get over and take a look at it in the next few days to double check and see what it looks like for sure, for some reason I think there is flat stock on the door? I will look and let you know as soon as I can.
Also give them a call, Joey is a great contact there, or go to their discussion board and ask, most of the guys from the plant frequent the board and you will get some great responses I am sure. Also ask joey about what version your controller is, Joey sent me an update and mine runs spot on now, within +-5 degrees in a 4 hour test. Mine was built 1 year ago and needed updating.
If you like yours half as much as I like mine you will love it. I am looking for another, or a YS1500

cpw
08-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Chad,
I bought a YS 640 last year and I have about 20 cooks on it and I dont seem to have a drip issue. I am wondering if they changed something on the door? I am in a cast on my leg right now and my cooker is in my trailer but I will get over and take a look at it in the next few days to double check and see what it looks like for sure, for some reason I think there is flat stock on the door? I will look and let you know as soon as I can.
Also give them a call, Joey is a great contact there, or go to their discussion board and ask, most of the guys from the plant frequent the board and you will get some great responses I am sure. Also ask joey about what version your controller is, Joey sent me an update and mine runs spot on now, within +-5 degrees in a 4 hour test. Mine was built 1 year ago and needed updating.
If you like yours half as much as I like mine you will love it. I am looking for another, or a YS1500

Thanks for any pics you can get. Mine is from 2013, so it's quite possible they changed the kid design to eliminate the drips.

I did post on the yoder forum as well. Hopefully some one will be able to help.

cpw
08-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Just got off the phone with Joey, he suggested running a bead of high temp silicone along the drip rail inside the door. Since it's not a continuous weld grease can run between the welds and down the front. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

thanks for the help!

mattmountz94
08-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Just got off the phone with Joey, he suggested running a bead of high temp silicone along the drip rail inside the door. Since it's not a continuous weld grease can run between the welds and down the front. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

thanks for the help!

I have done this it helps a tad. I still have drips all over the front and mine was built Feb of this year

SDAR
08-04-2016, 11:04 AM
I've got a 2014 model and mine does the same thing. I have used foil to stop it. It takes away from the looks of the 640 if you are wanting to show it off while cooking...like I often do in outdoor kitchen/bar, but it will keep it clean.

cpw
08-04-2016, 01:08 PM
I've got a 2014 model and mine does the same thing. I have used foil to stop it. It takes away from the looks of the 640 if you are wanting to show it off while cooking...like I often do in outdoor kitchen/bar, but it will keep it clean.

I don't mind taking away the looks, I was just hoping for a more permanent solution.

thunderalley3
08-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Chad,
I am glad joey was able to help out, he loves to talk smokers.
Did you need to upgrade your software??

cpw
08-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Chad,
I am glad joey was able to help out, he loves to talk smokers.
Did you need to upgrade your software??

Doh! forgot to ask. I think I'm at the latest version my model year though. I'll have to double check this weekend.

thunderalley3
08-04-2016, 03:26 PM
I think the latest revision was about a year ago, I cant remember the number now but what a difference it made in temp control.
I have a cast on my lower leg from surgery 6 weeks ago and I have another 6-8 weeks to go yet before walking so slow getting to my stuff here.
We will be in Jacksonville in November again this year, I am hoping you will be also. I will get with you so we can chat, I have met you once before but it will be great to be face to face for a change.
Lewis