PDA

View Full Version : Serious eats sous vide brisket

Apoznan
08-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Can't find if this was posted, but interesting read. (I like to pretend he doesn't mention liquid smoke)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

fjaggie07
08-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Whichever way you choose to finish your brisket, you can rest assured that it will be as moist as the moistest brisket you've ever had, and, unless you live within half a day's drive of Interstate 35 in central Texas, orders of magnitude better than what you'll find at a restaurant. The best part? Consistent, repeatable results time after time, whether you use flat- or point-cut brisket.

Well I do live within 4 hours of Lockhart, Luling, Lexington, Taylor and Austin, Tx. After reading through it, I honest to god don't think you can obtain the same breakdown through sous vide as a well done low and slow brisket, trimmed well and with the correct amount of smoke applied.

That being said, since I am a big sous vide fan I am willing to give this a shot. :)

Hillbilly BBQ
08-02-2016, 09:31 AM
All this time, and we just needed pink salt to get the smoke ring.....wasted all this money on a smoker!

bathmatt
08-03-2016, 10:19 AM
I actually do finish my briskets in S.V. and have had great results. I smoke until 155, then into the bath for 24 more hours, then hot gas grill. I know this isn't a pure way to get a brisket done but I like the results and I can leave the house and not worry if I miss the exact doneness. I still prefer, slightly, a butcher paper wrapped brisket, but this is not bad.

Enrico Brandizzi
08-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks for sharing!
I don't want to give up with my trials, but........

WareZdaBeef
08-03-2016, 03:20 PM
I smoke hot and fast till i get a nice bark (165F ) then instead of using foil as a crutch, I just SV at 165F for 16 hours or so. Breaks down the fats without drying out. Plus no need to tend to it. As long as the bark sets good, you dont lose it in the bag. It might soften up a bit, but a quick throw on the grill brings it right back.

Dr. Trout Bum
08-03-2016, 03:48 PM
I smoke hot and fast till i get a nice bark (165F ) then instead of using foil as a crutch, I just SV at 165F for 16 hours or so. Breaks down the fats without drying out. Plus no need to tend to it. As long as the bark sets good, you dont lose it in the bag. It might soften up a bit, but a quick throw on the grill brings it right back.

How quick?

Norm
08-03-2016, 03:59 PM
I did just the opposite of the above. I SV'd it at 165°s for 24 hours and then finished it on the egg. Turned out ok but nothing to get excited about. I think I'll try it the other way as that sounds like a better idea.

WareZdaBeef
08-03-2016, 04:02 PM
How quick?

How quick to crisp up the bark on the grill? A few min per side.

Bperkins01
08-03-2016, 04:03 PM
I use Sous Vide to reheat the brisket. 1.5 hours at 170 has worked great for me..
I've had some come out of the bag better than they went in..

Untraceable
08-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Sous vide is an incredible cooking method when done right. Im shocked at how awesome and how bad some of my cooks have been. Conventional rules are out the window. I really need to start a note book to track cooks.

I have no doubt a HF cook->sous vide->finish on the grill could be amazing. getting the water temp and time right are the big variables

thunderalley3
08-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Just a little off topic but on the same idea, the most incredible corned beef I ever ate I did in the sous vide. Dump the liquid from the bag into a sous vide safe bag, add contents of the seasoning pack, add meat, vac seal and cook,, the best I ever had.

SmokyWoodturner
08-04-2016, 07:22 AM
Hey Thunderalley3 your Corned Beef sounds great. would you share your time and temp with us??

scp
08-06-2016, 08:23 AM

I have a small flat in the bath right now using this method...will report back.

jeffturnerjr
08-06-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm quite shocked at how many people have a SV... Anyone remember what it was like to just cook bbq over fire?

Dr. Trout Bum
08-06-2016, 12:04 PM
How quick to crisp up the bark on the grill? A few min per side.

Thanks! And what temp do you set your SV for?