PDA

View Full Version : newbie

Busanate
08-01-2016, 04:18 PM
hello everyone i am new and just wanted to say that i look forward to learning all i can and sharing all i learn about smoking low and slow at this time i have yet to have smoked anything as i said i am a neon green newbie..lol my dad is helping me build my first smoker and hope to have it up and ready to smoke by the next weekend... Any suggestions on what i should try first..???

jeffturnerjr
08-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Welcome Busanate!! Hope you find as much enjoyment in smoking as we all do!
Trying smoking something easy on your first go around just to get the feel of it. My suggestions:
1.) Fatty (Jimmy Dean Sausage Roll)
2.) Chicken Thighs
3.) Baby Back Ribs

SmittyJonz
08-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Pork Butt.

cholloway
08-01-2016, 04:27 PM
^^^^^+++++^^^^^

Busanate
08-01-2016, 04:28 PM
hey thanks for the welcome mat :-D i was thinking about ribs what do you suggest as a rub? how long do you generally smoke them for.?

jeffturnerjr
08-01-2016, 04:33 PM
hey thanks for the welcome mat :-D i was thinking about ribs what do you suggest as a rub? how long do you generally smoke them for.?

Personally, I like a simple seasoning such as salt pepper garlic and brown sugar.
You could also test out some rubs from the supermarket just to see what you like and don't like! Baby Rack Ribs can be done anywhere from 3-4 hours at a temp of 250-275. Try it out and see what you like! If they are too chewy, just change one thing...cook them a little longer. Too done... Cook them a little less next time. It's all about trial and error!

Busanate
08-01-2016, 04:39 PM
perfect..thanks jeffturnerjr i appreciate the help and i will let you know how they turn out..

Big-Joe
08-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Pepper stout beef is also not to hard of a cook and its o so good

TowneSA
08-01-2016, 04:52 PM
It's addictive for sure. Once you start you'll find an excuse to put just about anything on a smoker.

Bob C Cue
08-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Welcome! You will find that the Brethren are very helpful folks. In fact, we offer a unique service for new members. Since we know that your first few cooks may have some issues and you will be wanting tips to improve, we encourage you to vacuum seal your cooked meats, freeze for a day or two, pack well in plenty of dry ice, and ship to our homes via FedEx SameDay®. We will then sample your cooks and provide you our constructive feedback.

We offer this service free of charge and even let you pick up the shipping cost. We can only do this because we have so many members, which allows us to pass the savings on to you! So as not to forget, act before midnight tonight.

Feel free to IM any member to take advantage of this amazing offer.

And again, welcome! :-D

Springram
08-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Welcome! I never go a day without logging on to this site. All wonderful people who are willing to help you. Hope to see you often on the site.

Baloo
08-01-2016, 04:57 PM
It would be nice to know the ingredients to yer favourite rubs and sauces too. The choice in Europe isn't anywhere near what ye have in the U S of A.

jeffturnerjr
08-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Welcome! You will find that the Brethren are very helpful folks. In fact, we offer a unique service for new members. Since we know that your first few cooks may have some issues and you will be wanting tips to improve, we encourage you to vacuum seal your cooked meats, freeze for a day or two, pack well in plenty of dry ice, and ship to our homes via FedEx SameDay®. We will then sample your cooks and provide you our constructive feedback.

We offer this service free of charge and even let you pick up the shipping cost. We can only do this because we have so many members, which allows us to pass the savings on to you! So as not to forget, act before midnight tonight.

Feel free to IM any member to take advantage of this amazing offer.

And again, welcome! :-D

This also applies to your smoker. Send it to us and we will test your rig. free sercice on our part but you pay for shipping of course...

Busanate
08-01-2016, 05:01 PM
suuuuure...no problem :wink:

BillN
08-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Az. Pork butt, chicken leg quarters and/or a fatty are great starter cooks. By the time you finish seasoning your cooker throw on some chicken leg quarters and you will be eating with in a couple of hours, throw a fatty on an hour in and you will be good to go. Make sure to post pics.

Steve S
08-01-2016, 06:00 PM

I prefer making my own rubs. The spices involved are cheap, and it is easy to adjust the recipe for your own tastes. There are countless very good rub recipes available online. The one I used for pork is called Memphis Magic Dust, which is excellent. Takes 5 mins to whip up a batch and saves a ton of money.

Pork butt is definitely very forgiving for a first smoke. Even if you dont get it quite right, it still tastes great.

Bigr314
08-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Welcome. You are at he right place for all of your info that you will ever need. Throw some chicken on. It does not take long to cook.

4ever3
08-01-2016, 06:45 PM
"neon green newbie" :laugh::laugh:

That's a good one !

Two things as mentioned earlier, (1) do a pork butt first, the most forgiving hunk of meat there is, you can under cook it but you really can't over cook it and (2) you've come to the right corner of the interweb, there is several life times of information to be had here, be humble and ask questions as you go.

Busanate
08-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice..truly..I appreciate it and I will be posting pics of my smoker and cooks I can't wait to get started I'm addicted to smoking already and I haven't smoked anything yet..:laugh:

aks801
08-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Welcome!

By finding the Brethren site you have already drastically shortened your learning curve.

You have been given some great suggestions for a first cook. I'd like to echo the port butt: so easy to do and you will be astonished about how good your first product turned out. Toss on a few fatties (you don't even have to stuff them: wrap the sausage chub in bacon, sprinkle on some rub, and they'll be ready in a few hours) for fun.

And remember: post pics. LOTS of pics. Of anything, really.

Smokie185
08-01-2016, 07:26 PM
It would be nice to know the ingredients to yer favourite rubs and sauces too. The choice in Europe isn't anywhere near what ye have in the U S of A.

I keep coming back to this one.

Ollie's KC Rub

yield Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients

1 cup sugar ( I use Sugar in the Raw )

1/2 cup salt ( Kosher )

2 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons red pepper

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon ground celery

Ron_L
08-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Welocme to the asylum!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14685)! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

cowgirl
08-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the forum!

SmittyJonz
08-01-2016, 09:00 PM
RUBS:

All things Pork - PlowBoys YardBird

Brisket and Chuckies - Black Ops or Adkins Western Style

kathicooks
08-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Welcome neighbor! Ok, so maybe a couple hours away isn't exactly right next door, but its always good to see other mid-Atlantic members of the brethren.
Have fun, read a lot, ask questions, and cook great food. I second the idea of a pork butt. Really hard to screw up, and everyone loves pulled pork.

SmokinJohn
08-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Welcome from the other coast!

The order listed is good. Fatty to season your smoker, thighs to test your Thermapen (and you should buy the British Racing Green model; it's the fastest). butts and rubs to test the length of your fire.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Some things will not turn out well. Others will. Take notes. Study your mistakes, and fix them.

I offer an in-home tasting service. You fly me out to visit, and I will taste anything you made (as long as it is cooked). There isn't much I haven't eaten (And I just added sweetbreads and stomach to that list), so you won't go wrong. No fugu, though...

Right on Q
08-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the site! I've learned so much from this forum

I bought a smoking cookbook (Smoking with Myron Mixon) when I first started out and followed some recipes in there until I got the hang of it.

Search around for Chris Lilly's Championship pork rub and injection (use Kosher salt in the rub or it'll be way too salty). Or search for Myron Mixon's basic bbq rub and hog injection. These are some good basic rubs that should get you started.

Good luck and post pics!

Dr. Trout Bum
08-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Welcome.

Ditto on the pork butt....most forgiving cut of meat to learn the basics on.

Busanate
08-02-2016, 06:13 PM
i appreciate all the advice thanks again for all the help guys (and girls) my dad turned me on to the brethren and as usual was absolutely correct about the friendliness and how helpful everyone is truly cant thank everyone enough for all the help...keep it coming i welcome all the advice i can get :grin::grin: