PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a flank steak....

Doug Crann
07-22-2016, 04:16 PM

All 12 pounds of it...any suggestions on how to carve this thing up?

DerHusker
07-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Flank steak makes great Carne Asada and here's what I'd do with it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227505

If Carne isn't to your liking then searing it to a nice medium rare and then cutting across the grain into thin steaks what be good.

Teleking
07-22-2016, 05:23 PM
12 pounds!!!! I think there is more than 1 in there or I don't want to visit the farm raising dinosaurs.

DerHusker
07-22-2016, 05:30 PM
12 pounds!!!! I think there is more than 1 in there or I don't want to visit the farm raising dinosaurs.
I think your correct. The one in my link was 2.375 lbs. and was a fairly standard size.

Teleking
07-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Pound them out and stuff and roll and tie into a roast. Watch the grain as its opposite of what you expect.

THoey1963
07-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I think the only carving you will be doing is opening the package and finding five pieces of meat in there...

al_pastor
07-22-2016, 06:39 PM
I dunno, i researched how much the flank section weighs and 12 lbs seemed ok. I was surprised. It sure looks like one piece in the photo. OP let us know what you find.

kdub5
07-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Nice deal, I was stationed in Guam and flank steak is a staple of Chammoro BBQ. Google Chamorro marinade and just follow the recipe. Basically it's soy, vinegar onions and garlic. U will thank me. Cook like a steak and cut against the grain. U are welcome brother.

Smokie185
07-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Flank steak makes great Carne Asada and here's what I'd do with it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227505

If Carne isn't to your liking then searing it to a nice medium rare and then cutting across the grain into thin steaks what be good.

That thread looks good. I usually just marinate mine in Dale's sauce for a bit and then grill over high heat until rare to medium rare. Then slice thinly across the grain.

As a side note, I remember when flank steak was used for London Broil.

mrp116
07-23-2016, 12:21 AM
Marinade in half teriyaki and half honey for 48 hours flipping every 12. Grill to med rare, slice very thin.

cueball21
07-23-2016, 12:29 AM
I marinade them overnight in a concoction that includes soy, Worcestershire, A1, Italian salad dressing, white pepper, black pepper, garlic salt (or garlic powder and salt if out). I also squeeze the juice of half a lemon in it sometimes.

I lightly draw my boning knife to make a cross hatch on both sides then drop it in the marinade in a zip lock and into the fridge. I have left it for 48 hours and it was still good.

I cook it on a hot charcoal fire on my Weber with coals banked to one side and flank steak in the center of the grill. About 4 minutes a side gets me real close real quick. I try to take it off at 125-130 on the Thermopop. I put it on the cutting board, cover with foil or paper then lay a dish towel over it and let it recover its juices for about 10-15 minutes.

I slice it with chef knife at about a 30* angle to the cutting board. I try to get strips 1/4" thick.

My SIL loves it. We call it London Broil, but it's really a take off on true LB.

guero_gordo
07-23-2016, 02:06 AM
Ziploc bag with Veri Veri Teriyaki marinade for about 2h, then grill like a steak and slice across the grain into strips.
I'm going to try Chanmoro style next time.

My aunt used to do the same thing but with the cheapest store-brand Italian dressing she could find. Came out great.