PDA

View Full Version : A new pit... the M48

travismagee
07-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Hey fellow brethren.

We are just finishing up our latest pit called the M48. I just wanted to throw this little teaser out there with a little info on it.

http://themefiendlab.com/hosting/images/MGrills/img3251.jpg

The M48 is based off of our M1 design except is 48" wide. It's a fully adjustable grill and wood/charcoal smoker in a unique reverse airflow design. What makes this design unique is it has its own dedicated firebox that is housed inside the pit. The baffle over the firebox is fully welded in with a reverse airflow configuration. Due to the firebox being inside the cooking chamber, yet separated by the baffle... you get a nice even radiant heat coming from the firebox area instead of sticking outside of the grill. This allows a more consistent even heat throughout your pit. With the firebox inside, you get up to heat faster inside your cooking chamber and retains heat far longer. It also eliminates temperature swings. We also insulate the side walls of the firebox area. The M48 has the addition of a thermal insulated bottom below the firebox as well. The M1 and M48 are very efficient. Since the firebox is inside the pit, you can run a much larger basket. The M48 features a 24" firebox basket and does not take up any more room on the outside of your pit. This is a patent pending design of ours that is a bit unique. You can see in the photo the size difference between the M1's and the M48. The M1's in the photo do not have the counters on. Speaking of, the only thing to assemble on our grills are the counters.

http://themefiendlab.com/hosting/images/MGrills/img3260_2.jpg

Not only are these wonderful smokers, but we designed them to be just as great as a grill. Inside the pit you have a separate grate that will crank up for extremely hot searing and adjust down to the baffle for full instant heat control. The M48's grilling grate runs about half of the pit with 2 additional stationary grates on the right that can be used for more food placement or additional grilling space. These grates can slide in and out for different configurations. All of the grates are 1/4" 304 stainless steel. Every shiny piece of metal on the outside is solid stainless (handles, cranks, levers, nuts and bolts). We don't use any coated metals (chrome, nickel, or even low grade stainless).

http://themefiendlab.com/hosting/images/MGrills/img3254.jpg

So just wanted to throw this out there. I will share some more info and detail photos and videos very soon. The M48 will be on our website soon for purchase or just call or email for inquiries.

Btw, the M48 in the photo is actually reversed from our standard configuration. The firebox is on the right side of the pit with the hand crank for the adjustable grate on the left. This pit was built for a customer that needed his firebox this way due to placement at his house. Normally, the firebox will be on the left side with crank on the right.

Thanks guys.. happy grilling'!

mgrills.com

KORND4WG X
07-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Wow I love it. I'll be keeping my eye on this since I've been checking out the M1 for awhile now :thumb:

travismagee
07-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Thank you Kornd4wg. The M1 is perfect for the all in one cooker that does not take up a lot of space. Same concept, same stable temps, easy to cook on. This M48 is just the M1 on steroids. Its big.

Smokin' Greene
07-21-2016, 09:32 AM
That is beautiful!
What is the handle on the upper right corner?

travismagee
07-21-2016, 09:47 AM
That is the lever for the exhaust. I wanted to keep it streamlined with not having a large stack on it. There is a flap inside that is laser cut to fit the opening. You adjust the flap from the 1/2" stainless handle. It seals off perfectly.

Fwismoker
07-21-2016, 09:50 AM
I might me the only one but when I saw M 48 this popped in my head.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2100&tid=950&ct=2

BTW Nice looking pit. Dwfisk on here built a RF with a built in fire box.. pretty slick

travismagee
07-21-2016, 09:52 AM
haha.. I`m glad you caught the military reference. It's actually named after the M48 Patton tank. The M1 named after the M1 Abrams. Our B2 .. the B2 Bomber.

God Bless our military!

Fwismoker
07-21-2016, 09:59 AM
haha.. I`m glad you caught the military reference. It's actually named after the M48 Patton tank. The M1 named after the M1 Abrams. Our B2 .. the B2 Bomber.

God Bless our military!:thumb: Ah very cool! Yea that torpedo is ingrained in my head from serving on subs. Love seeing the Military references! God Bless our Military!

travismagee
07-21-2016, 10:02 AM
closer look at the vent.

http://themefiendlab.com/hosting/images/MGrills/img3269_1.jpg

If you notice the edges of our pits, you do not see any visible welds. I personally grind every outside surface after welding to have a nice/crisp smooth surface. For added measure we do weld the insides of our pits as well. Strong welds are a must, but the appearance is just as important. Of course it takes a lot of extra time, but its worth it.

tgstrang
07-21-2016, 10:19 AM
That is awesome! I need one.

KORND4WG X
07-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Thank you Kornd4wg. The M1 is perfect for the all in one cooker that does not take up a lot of space. Same concept, same stable temps, easy to cook on. This M48 is just the M1 on steroids. Its big.

Not your problem, but my dilemma is whether to thin the herd of add to it :decision:

Smith's Pig Pen
07-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Impressive! I like these

ichbin73
07-21-2016, 10:37 AM
So the door hinges in the back and opens almost completely off the top...? Sweet!
Nice pits.

thunderalley3
07-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Very nice!!
It is a pleasure to see someone who is a craftsman and still takes pride in their work,, Well done

Springram
07-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Very nice craftsmanship and looks like well designed too. Hope ya sell a million!

Bigr314
07-21-2016, 10:50 AM
Nice looking cooker.

travismagee
07-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Not your problem, but my dilemma is whether to thin the herd of add to it :decision:

Correct me if i`m wrong, but you are a Big Green Egg owner right?

I have sold many M1's to BGE owners. I have some testimonials on my site from one of them who have owned so many different grills the guy has spent a fortune on grills in his lifetime. Being a new grill company, it's been slow getting customers to speak about their experience with our grills. Most of them do not go to forums and talk bbq, but have been giving me their personal feedback. They all love their grills.

The M48 in the photo is going to a customer who is a previous BGE owner. I believe the M1 and M48 have their advantages and of course disadvantages. It just depends on your cooking style. The M1 will not hold heat all day long like a BGE. It's really not designed to. As a stick burner (I personally) want to add wood during my cook for good smoke penetration. I don't want it to smolder all day long or just hold heat like an oven. But I also don't want to manage a fire every 30 minutes to an hour and mess with vents all day. The M1 easily gets up to smoking temps and if you start with charcoal to get the temp up and add a log of wood once you do, you can go 4-5 hours on a basket. I've had a couple of customers get 6 hours on a basket. Once that first basket initially burns down, I only add wood for the remaining cook. Then its typical to throw a stick or two every couple of hours. I never have to touch the vents. Its just a matter of opening the firebox door and throwing a log in. done. Its easy and no baby sitting. When I want the best flavor, I add just a little charcoal to get a hot bed going and strictly use wood throughout my smoke. There is a difference in flavor and quality of bark. Some might argue with that, but i`m a firm believer.

The grilling portion is excellent. It's always better to have the option of creating cooking zones on your grill. Offset the fire if needed. I LOVE being able to adjust the grate and get hot coals right up to the food for a good sear and then instantly bring the fire down to finish the cook. You cant do that on a ceramic cooker.

Another difference with the M1 and M48 that is unique is you can use that adjustable charcoal grate as a secondary smoking rack and position it wherever you like. So you can almost double up your smoking real estate without having to purchase any additional accessories. Add our top shelf extension and then have triple levels for smoking or double your grilling. That is awesome on such a small foot print pit.

Other than those 2 main differences, the build quality is fantastic. It's seriously built to last and completely made in Texas.

So it all boils down to a matter of preference and cooking style.

travismagee
07-21-2016, 11:01 AM
So the door hinges in the back and opens almost completely off the top...? Sweet!
Nice pits.

yes, So it's completely out of your way when putting your food inside. I designed this one to be a large single lid (instead of two) because I did not want anything obstructing the user if he/she was to lay a whole hog in there.

GrassFed
07-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Very nice. Looks well constructed and thought out.

KORND4WG X
07-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Correct me if i`m wrong, but you are a Big Green Egg owner right?.

Correct, among others :shock: I'm actually too embarrassed to list what I have, although the M1/48 would fill a teeny tiny gap in my arsenal :grin:

I have sold many M1's to BGE owners. I have some testimonials on my site from one of them who have owned so many different grills the guy has spent a fortune on grills in his lifetime. Being a new grill company, it's been slow getting customers to speak about their experience with our grills. Most of them do not go to forums and talk bbq, but have been giving me their personal feedback. They all love their grills.

The M48 in the photo is going to a customer who is a previous BGE owner. I believe the M1 and M48 have their advantages and of course disadvantages. It just depends on your cooking style. The M1 will not hold heat all day long like a BGE. It's really not designed to. As a stick burner (I personally) want to add wood during my cook for good smoke penetration. I don't want it to smolder all day long or just hold heat like an oven. But I also don't want to manage a fire every 30 minutes to an hour and mess with vents all day. The M1 easily gets up to smoking temps and if you start with charcoal to get the temp up and add a log of wood once you do, you can go 4-5 hours on a basket. I've had a couple of customers get 6 hours on a basket. Once that first basket initially burns down, I only add wood for the remaining cook. Then its typical to throw a stick or two every couple of hours. I never have to touch the vents. Its just a matter of opening the firebox door and throwing a log in. done. Its easy and no baby sitting. When I want the best flavor, I add just a little charcoal to get a hot bed going and strictly use wood throughout my smoke. There is a difference in flavor and quality of bark. Some might argue with that, but i`m a firm believer.

The grilling portion is excellent. It's always better to have the option of creating cooking zones on your grill. Offset the fire if needed. I LOVE being able to adjust the grate and get hot coals right up to the food for a good sear and then instantly bring the fire down to finish the cook. You cant do that on a ceramic cooker.

Another difference with the M1 and M48 that is unique is you can use that adjustable charcoal grate as a secondary smoking rack and position it wherever you like. So you can almost double up your smoking real estate without having to purchase any additional accessories. Add our top shelf extension and then have triple levels for smoking or double your grilling. That is awesome on such a small foot print pit.

Other than those 2 main differences, the build quality is fantastic. It's seriously built to last and completely made in Texas.

So it all boils down to a matter of preference and cooking style.

Thanks for the detailed info - I've watched all the M1 YouTube videos multiple times and looking forward to see the M48 in action :thumb:

KevinJ
07-21-2016, 12:29 PM
God Bless our military!+1

I've watched all the videos on the M1 you have on youtube as well, very cool Pit well thought out and different from anything else on the market, I wish you much success.

sbramm
07-21-2016, 01:45 PM
sweet looking unit.

quick question, is there a grease drain? looked at the website and didn't see one.

lkissell
07-21-2016, 02:02 PM
A quick question. If you are using the M48 as a grill, does the food have direct access to the coals? I'm trying to determine if the heat deflector always sits between the grill grate and the coals.

I hope my question makes sense!

Thanks.

travismagee
07-21-2016, 02:54 PM
A quick question. If you are using the M48 as a grill, does the food have direct access to the coals? I'm trying to determine if the heat deflector always sits between the grill grate and the coals.

I hope my question makes sense!

Thanks.

The grilling grate inside the pit has direct access to the food grates. So there is nothing separating it just like any other grill. If you look in the photo, the bottom grate on the left is the grate that can be used for grilling. This portion of the grate is fully adjustable by the hand crank on the front of the grill. The baffle is right under this grate (at its lowest position) which separates the firebox from the main cooking chamber.

http://themefiendlab.com/hosting/images/MGrills/img3254.jpg

travismagee
07-21-2016, 03:03 PM
sweet looking unit.

quick question, is there a grease drain? looked at the website and didn't see one.

This particular one doesn't. We can add one in if a customer prefers. For typical backyard smoking, I prefer to just place an aluminum pan as a water/grease tray. There is plenty of room on the baffle to add large pans. I`ll even cover the baffle with aluminum foil to make clean out very easy and change it out after every couple of cooks. That's just something I have always done and it's worked out great for me. If a customer was going to do a ton of cooking, I can see putting one in. So it's an option.

RGriffeath
08-09-2016, 12:55 PM
I really like the design of these smokers. Will MGrills be making another smoker larger than the M1, but smaller than the M48? I am also wondering whether a BBQ Guru port might be a future modification to the M1? Thanks a bunch!

travismagee
08-11-2016, 11:04 AM
I just shot this little walk around video of the M48 yesterday before we crate this one up for the customer. This one is headed to California.

One noticeable thing on this grill is we built the firebox on the right side with the hand crank on the left. The customer wanted it this way due to his patio layout. We also put bigger casters on it to make it roll a bit easier over rougher terrain as he plans to move this thing around from the backyard to his front from time to time.

I really like this cooker. It comes with a hefty price tag of $5500, but with all of the work put into the M48 and its endless possibilities.. its really a great price if you need a larger version of our M1. I`ll eventually come out with a 34" or so version, but we are very busy at the moment getting ready for the State Fair of Texas so it won't be until next year.

The M48 will be on my website very soon. Its available for purchase now so if anyone decides to pull the trigger, just send me an email.

Btw, The M48 has 2 port holes on each side for using a BBQ Guru or any temp probe. On the M1, we just run the temp probe out of the vent opening on the lid.

https://youtu.be/esy73x-fwtM