PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting the hang of my kettle

Van2977
07-09-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm new here and have recently gotten a 22.5 Weber kettle, and man
I am loving it. I've been lurking here reading trying to learn , grilling
And smoking running around because I wanted 300 and I keep hitting 400
But today I used the minion and boy them vent controls are working great
I've done whole chickens (don't know how to cut out back yet)
2" bone in chops and tomorrow it's ribs😀
I've made my own rubs and BBQ sauce now by watching here and YouTube and piecing together.
This site is great I really enjoy reading all the types of cooking people are doing

PatAttack
07-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forum and keep up the great work!

cowgirl
07-09-2016, 05:18 PM
What Pat said! ^^^ Welcome! :grin:

T.Mac
07-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Welcome, Van. Just get yourself a healthy set of kitchen shears to cut the backbone out of a whole chicken for butterflied/spatchcocked chicken. Then starting at the large cavity opening work your way up to the neck on each side of the spine, snipping the ribs as you go. The final step is to flip the chicken over so the now exposed chest cavity is facing down and use your hand to press down on the center of the bird until you hear the breastbone crack. At that point it'll lay flat on the grill, so it cooks faster and more evenly. You'll be surprised how easy it is once you've done it the first time.

DjPorkchop
07-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Welcome! You'll love it here I'm more than sure.

The kettle is an awesome cooker. I had issues with heat on mine to begin with but got the hang of it now and love it. Sounds like you are rocking out on yours! have fun and show us some goo food pron please!

Fwismoker
07-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Welcome, I've used a kettle for years and still never fully mastered it so no worries to you. It's sure fun to learn though!

Smoke on Badger Mountain
07-09-2016, 09:21 PM
I love my smokers past and present but if I could only have one cooker it would be a Weber kettle. And welcome to the group.

Smokie185
07-09-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm new here and have recently gotten a 22.5 Weber kettle, and man
I am loving it. I've been lurking here reading trying to learn , grilling
And smoking running around because I wanted 300 and I keep hitting 400
But today I used the minion and boy them vent controls are working great
I've done whole chickens (don't know how to cut out back yet)
2" bone in chops and tomorrow it's ribs😀
I've made my own rubs and BBQ sauce now by watching here and YouTube and piecing together.
This site is great I really enjoy reading all the types of cooking people are doing

Sounds great! I love my kettle. One upgrade I did was to buy these cast iron grates. They can really put a sear on a steak! If you get them, go ahead and get the tool for lifting the hot grates. This is handy...trust me.

http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/22-5-cast-iron-grate.html

HotdogTed
07-09-2016, 09:52 PM
I just picked up this custom welded heat diffuser for my 22.5 kettle. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm doing a 7 lb brisket flat tomorrow (couldn't find a packer anywhere). We'll see how it turns out!

I'm new to the forum so hopefully my pics attach!

HotdogTed
07-09-2016, 09:54 PM
Here is another pic

Titch
07-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Glad your using your kettle well mate,Sounds like your having fun

mbshop
07-10-2016, 12:10 AM
One trick I came up with long ago was to foil the uncovered part of the coal grate. This near eliminates cold air coming in and mixing with the hot air thus messing with the temps. Try it.