PDA

View Full Version : Ribs and Rubs

Boxmaster
07-04-2016, 02:46 PM
I was wondering what the group thought about applying rubs and when and the reasoning. Out of habit, I've always put rub on late in the evening before the cook and rubbed it in some (membrane removed). Some I know sprinkle on the rub a few hours before and some rub a few hours before and others right before the cook. Saw someone on Tv today said if u apply rub too early and with force, it messed up the smoke penetration. Thoughts and opinions please.
Smoking some ribs for my birthday on the 14th.

thanks in advance

Westx
07-04-2016, 03:08 PM
I like to rub about 2 hrs before and let it set in the fridge.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
07-04-2016, 03:10 PM
I apply the rub right as the pit is warming up.

KevinJ
07-04-2016, 03:27 PM
I apply rub an hour or two before going in the smoker.

longhair75
07-04-2016, 03:35 PM
My best results have come when I start my fire and then go inside to prep the ribs while the pit is coming up to temp.

dadsr4
07-04-2016, 04:19 PM
My rule is, rubs while the kettle is starting. marinades the day before. Seems to work for me .

Okie Sawbones
07-04-2016, 04:32 PM
I put my rub on right after I finish boiling the ribs. Ain't they beauties?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/Randybuckner/2_zpstbmxueji.jpg

Seriously, ribs are thin and don't need a lot of time for the salt to work on the protein molecules. I prep the ribs, put on the rub, then get the pit going. Once to temp, on go the ribs.

keeperofsecrets
07-04-2016, 04:40 PM
I generally prep everything the evening before including the rub. I'm sure it would be fine applying rub right before putting them in the pit, but, like dadsr4, I am a creature of habit.

dadsr4
07-04-2016, 05:01 PM
I generally prep everything the evening before including the rub. I'm sure it would be fine applying rub right before putting them in the pit, but, like dadsr4, I am a creature of habit.
I like to remain flexible, but the nice thing about setting arbitrary rules is that, when you mess up, you can at least know where the clusterfark started.

COS
07-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Never thought I would read a post here with someone boiling ribs.

Towen7
07-04-2016, 06:07 PM
I apply the rub while the pit is heating up. I try to be sure it's on there about an hour before the meat meets the smoke.

dadsr4
07-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Never thought I would read a post here with someone boiling ribs.
Does a dutch oven count? This is the only way I cook any pork outside of my kettle since I read it. It's one of the the only reasons I trim anything off of whole spares before cooking them.
Sauerkraut & Pork
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94740
I normally only would cook this sort of of dish in the winter, but it's on my list while my wife is out of town, as she doesn't like sauerkraut.

Panupat
07-04-2016, 07:22 PM
I trim and salt my ribs over night. Then after I fire up my grill I apply rub with no salt and wait until my grill got up to temp, usually 15-20 minutes

Trunks
07-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Does a dutch oven count? This is the only way I cook any pork outside of my kettle since I read it. It's one of the the only reasons I trim anything off of whole spares before cooking them.
Sauerkraut & Pork
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94740
I normally only would cook this sort of of dish in the winter, but it's on my list while my wife is out of town, as she doesn't like sauerkraut.

Very Interesting dish! I will for sure try this come fall

dummy que
07-04-2016, 08:12 PM

Seriously, ribs are thin and don't need a lot of time for the salt to work on the protein molecules. I prep the ribs, put on the rub, then get the pit going. Once to temp, on go the ribs.

please no more boiled ribs thought i was going to farken puke i put my rub on and go start the lang and wait for it to come up to temp

lantern
07-04-2016, 08:22 PM
I always apply my rub as the pit is coming up to temp. Gives the rub plenty of time to set and if for some reason I want it heavier it'll take a second dusting right as they go on.

I generally dislike overnight rubs on ribs unless there's little to no sugar or salt. Since the ribs are so thin they take seasoning fairly easily and long periods with salt, sugar or both can leave them hammy to MY tastes. But, I know a lot of folk that really enjoy that so what evvvv smoke'em if ya got'em.:mrgreen:

BamaQue
07-05-2016, 07:40 AM
I trim and salt my ribs over night. Then after I fire up my grill I apply rub with no salt and wait until my grill got up to temp, usually 15-20 minutes

Bingo!^^

pmad
07-05-2016, 09:43 AM
I rub before making the fire so they sit at room temp about an hour
3 hours
1 hour foil
And then I reapply rub and go another hour (no foil)
I find reapplying helps with bark.

1buckie
07-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Just while the cooker is started & heating up......enough time for the concoction to melt in a bit.....the heat & pig juice does the rest....
(A more important consideration, for me, is counter-clockwise burn, for pork....this will not apply to all style cookers,but makes all the difference on a kettle)

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/1st%202013%20chicken/Fathers%20Day%202013/FathersDay2013004.jpg

Long as they look like this after awhile....

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/1st%202013%20chicken/Fathers%20Day%202013/FathersDay2013011.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/1st%202013%20chicken/Fathers%20Day%202013/FathersDay2013012.jpg

IamMadMan
07-05-2016, 06:43 PM
I used to apply the night before, and now it's a couple hours before starting the smoker. The change was not due to any reason only convenience for me. There is virtually no taste difference between letting them sit overnight, and a few hours before.

Never had a problem with smoke absorption or a smoke ring, both appear and taste the same.

dadsr4
07-05-2016, 06:48 PM
I used to apply the night before, and now it's a couple hours before starting the smoker. The change was not due to any reason only convenience for me. There is virtually no taste difference between letting them sit overnight, and a few hours before.

Never had a problem with smoke absorption or a smoke ring, both appear and taste the same.
To me, the big difference is if there is a lot of salt in the rub. If it's salty, the ribs get hammy setting overnight.
You can even find turkey leg recipes that depend on this to impart the "hammy" flavor.

bobthetomato
07-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Add another vote to as the pit is heating up. I have never noticed a lack of flavor.

jermoQ
07-05-2016, 09:37 PM

Is a rib supposed to look like that?? I could have swore that was some kind of fish at first glance. :fish:

dadymat
07-06-2016, 12:23 AM
:shock:

agensop
07-06-2016, 07:23 AM
night before, that way i have very little to clean while they are cooking, all have to do is take them from the bags and put them on and im good

ironmanerik
07-06-2016, 08:09 AM
I rub while cooker is heating up. When doing big cooks I'll rub and vacseal the night before just to cut down on the mess when people are around. One time I didn't cook all I had prepped it was a week before I got to them, there was no difference after being rubbed for a week.

THoey1963
07-06-2016, 12:11 PM
I usually do it the day of the smoke, and I do it in advance enough that the salt has time to pull some of the moisture out to soak into the rub. By the time I put them on, the rub looks wet. A couple of times I got into a hurry and rubbed and immediately put them on, and I didn't like the texture the rub made. More of a crust that flaked off than a bark.

alecksjaycubs
07-06-2016, 01:47 PM
(A more important consideration, for me, is counter-clockwise burn, for pork....this will not apply to all style cookers,but makes all the difference on a kettle)

I only do that if the ribs are from the right side of the pig.

dadsr4
07-06-2016, 03:28 PM
I only do that if the ribs are from the right side of the pig.
It's true. For example, with a slab of ribs like these, from the right side,
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/dadsr4/BBQ/spares_zps0319a520.jpg

you want the heat to spend most of it's time on the thicker portion of the ribs, so, in this case, counterclockwise starting just to the right of the sternum,would be correct.

Sea Rover
07-06-2016, 08:33 PM
I rub my ribs right before going into the smoker,not salty that way!

m-fine
07-06-2016, 10:31 PM
I rub first, then start the Lang. I wait about an hour to build a bed of coals and a stable fire situation, during which time the ribs are sitting out coming up to room temp.

Boxmaster
07-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Thanks to everyone that posted

Yendor
07-08-2016, 01:05 PM
I rub the night before, there is little salt in my rub so it doesn't get hammy. Never had a smoke penetration problem.

Don't change what you are doing if you like your results.

Enrico Brandizzi
07-08-2016, 01:51 PM
What I am focused on is the salt quantity. If the rub is salty then I prefer to rub 1 h before start cooking. If rub is low on salt maybe I double.
Anyway, ribs are thin ( the thicker part is always trimmed to ensure an even cook)