PDA

View Full Version : WSM and drippings question.

KC Smoke
06-22-2016, 06:15 PM
I always run my 22 with the water pan wrapped in foil. Last cook, a butt & brisket, rendered a lot of fat that ended up breaking through the foil and in to the pan. No biggie just a pain to clean. So I'm thinking I want to run with an 18" clay saucer wrapped in foil instead. Considering I poured out a full 12 ozs of grease do I have a major grease fire concern?

KevinJ
06-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Replaced the water pan in my WSM with a clay saucer, double wrapped it in HD foil and put another piece on top of that that just folds over the edges of the saucer. When it's time to clean up I just pull that top piece and replace it, I don't even have to remove the saucer todo it.

Jason TQ
06-22-2016, 06:26 PM
I run a double layer of wide heavy duty foil down into the bottom lining the pan and never really had an issue with stuff breaking through. And then when you need to clear normally I just peel off one layer after a few cooks. Is you foiled pan taut over the top?

Ag76
06-22-2016, 06:27 PM
I have had the grease catch on fire in the water pan. Not good. Have never used the clay saucer. If it ever happens to you, shut off all of the air vents and that will take care of it. Do not even think about pouring water on it, or you are f'ed.

krex1010
06-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Double up on the wide foil as mentioned for the water pan....I don't think you'll have a problem with the clay saucer, I often run my wsm with nothing between the meat and the coals, the grease dripping off the saucer shouldn't be any different than what I'm doing.

Happy Hapgood
06-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Put a foil pan on the lower shelf a and catch them good drippin's.

cheez59
06-22-2016, 07:05 PM
I ran all three of my WSM's with nothing between the fire and the food but air for a long time. Butts, ribs, chicken, meatloaf, brisket etc. and lots of it. I made the best BBQ of my life. The fat dripping just vaporized and added good flavor to the meat. Just my two cents.

KC Smoke
06-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback y'all. Yes I've always had the foil taut across the water pan. It sounds like there's part of my issue. I'll try the foil two or three layers thick in to the bottom of the pan. I'm hoping for the grease to vaporize mostly. I was thinking that the saucer would act like a hot skillet and just sizzle all that flavor into the air. Thanks again.

Un-Sane
06-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Brilliant, why haven't I done this? I dread the cleanup after a smoke session.

yakdung
06-23-2016, 09:28 AM
I have never had an issue since I switch to super strength aluminum foil. Great stuff.

THoey1963
06-23-2016, 09:32 AM
For my WSM when I had it, I wrapped the pan in foil, wrapped the terra cotta planter base in foil and set it inside, and then threw a cheap aluminum turkey pan on top to catch most of the drippings. Never had an issue...