PDA

View Full Version : Battle Box vs.

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Is there anything close in size, and price that is better? I was looking at a Pint, but after I got to the end the money was too much for my talent level. I think with the BB I will keep my wants smaller, and my needs what they need to be. I was over 3K with wants, and needs.

Does anyone know if Chad still makes carts or will he make a cart for a BB, and is it more cost effective then buying the add ons he has. One more question would it be better to go smaller, and get more toys or go bigger, and get a cookie cutter.

I think I started dreaming, and it just ruined what needs to happen in true day to day reality of my smoking world.

I know everyone says go one size bigger, but for what I "need" I think the BB is or will be perfect. Most the time I will be lucky to cook for 10 people at most. Most time far less then that 3 to 5. I figured if I cook for a larger group I will just get the kettle rolling as well.

I wouldn't be against used, but very few in my neck of the woods come up for sale. I'm looking for insulated vertical, and that is pretty much what I want.

IamMadMan
06-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Yes Chad can make a cart for anything........

When searching to purchase my smoker, I found I had to separate my needs from my wants in order to select my smoker. Sometimes we just want too much and some of the choices are things that we'll probably never use.

smokinit
06-20-2016, 04:35 PM
I can help you out with what ever you need pm me

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Yes Chad can make a cart for anything........

When searching to purchase my smoker, I found I had to separate my needs from my wants in order to select my smoker. Sometimes we just want too much and some of the choices are things that we'll probably never use.

I think I just got caught up in all of it, and had to take a step back, and be realistic about things. I think you see people getting multiple smokers, and huge ones with everything you can get, and it sucks you in. I doubt what I can spend will allow all my wants, and even some needs, but a line needs to be drawn.

This will be my first dedicated smoker, and I'm not one that can do this multiple times so I want the first choice to be a good one. I want the most bang for the buck so I have to ask tons of questions to know what's what.

I've always been kind of a mid level guy. I don't buy the so called best, but I don't reach for the cheapest item either.

Would I be better off getting a battle box with some bling vs a cookie cutter pint? I can use either for the amount of people I will cook for. The size only comes into what I can do vs what I can't.

In other words not sure if I can hang meat in either very well. I would love to make my own sausage etc. I just can't afford a huge smoker. Or should I say my hmmm "banker" won't let me afford a huge smoker. I know a beast would allow that. I would just have a huge smoker for little cooks most the time. So I want to be realistic about it.

Just looking for people that know way more than me to help.

smokinit
06-20-2016, 04:44 PM
I have used and sold them since there inception lets chat I can walk you through all you questions abd needs

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 04:54 PM
I have used and sold them since there inception lets chat I can walk you through all you questions abd needs

Thanks, but I emailed Chad directly. I will see what he has to offer. I live in Iowa so shipping will be there for sure. Do you have any used that are in real good shape?

smokinit
06-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Sorry dont take trade ins guys sell them get more out right for them

Untraceable
06-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Size is king, rather have a cookie cutter pint than a BB.

Width is huge with these as well, rather have a cubed box than a pint/down east beast

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Size is king, rather have a cookie cutter pint than a BB.

Width is huge with these as well, rather have a cubed box than a pint/down east beast

Size is only king if you need it or should I say use it. Not sure I would, and if I get the options I want I think I would be happier? I truly am trying to figure this out. I just think if I get a cookie cutter I will miss out on things I can't get after I order one. So IYO size is the end all be all?

saseekutz
06-20-2016, 06:28 PM
I was in your shoes this past fall. I oogled over the battle box for quite some time but went with the cookie-cutter pint and I'm glad I made my decision. There have been more occasions I've been glad to have the extra room versus occasions I wish I had extra add ons. With shelling out that much dough for a cooker make sure you get want you want. For me space was the best luxury.

Westx
06-20-2016, 06:42 PM
I just got a pint for Father's day. Got it from St Louis BBQ. Basic unit with extra rack, 8 inch caster and a pick stick. Drop in water pan and heat diverter. It also had 2 probe ports already. With shipping cost me $2550. I didn't need the table or the bars as the four handles work great. Just moved it to my new porch today. I saw on the Facebook page Chad has a BB for sale with some cosmetic damage and seems to be a great deal.

Also I think you could hang sausage on the pint for sure.

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 07:01 PM
I was in your shoes this past fall. I oogled over the battle box for quite some time but went with the cookie-cutter pint and I'm glad I made my decision. There have been more occasions I've been glad to have the extra room versus occasions I wish I had extra add ons. With shelling out that much dough for a cooker make sure you get want you want. For me space was the best luxury.

This is the break down Chad gave me when I asked.

Battle Box Slide Out 6 pork butts, 10 racks of ribs, or two packer briskets.

Pint Slide Out, 10 pork butts, 14 racks of ribs, 4 briskets

I agree with you, and that is why I'm looking at both options. I started looking at the battle box then thought I may need more room because I had this idea I may cook for a large crowd once in a blue moon. I doubt that will ever happen, and I doubt I will very often load the battle box if what Chad said is accurate, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be. I will also always have brats burgers and or dogs among other foods if we ever do get bigger crowds. I can also cook pulled pork early, and do ribs the day of. I doubt I will ever need more than what a box can put out. That's just my feeling on it.

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 07:18 PM
I just got a pint for Father's day. Got it from St Louis BBQ. Basic unit with extra rack, 8 inch caster and a pick stick. Drop in water pan and heat diverter. It also had 2 probe ports already. With shipping cost me $2550. I didn't need the table or the bars as the four handles work great. Just moved it to my new porch today. I saw on the Facebook page Chad has a BB for sale with some cosmetic damage and seems to be a great deal.

Also I think you could hang sausage on the pint for sure.

I was looking at the LSG, and Pint among others, but after I got it all put together most would be well past 3K, and I'm not that good at Q :sad:.

I was shocked when I added it all up with shipping. It started out at $1800, and almost doubled in price by the time I put the pencil down. I then had to look deep, and ask do I really need all that. So now I'm looking at a box, and how much I will save, and if I just have to save more for a Pint or get a DEB cookie cutter. That is pretty much the issue with each step. If I get a loaded box vs a plain pint or a loaded pint vs a plain DEB. So I pulled back the reins, and am looking at the box, and getting answers I need.

IamMadMan
06-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Smokinit was instrumental in helping me sort out what I needed vs what I wanted.

Here is a thread I posted when i decided on my Humphrey's Down East Beast,

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160242

Bigbears BBQ
06-20-2016, 07:22 PM
You seem like you know the answer and you want reassurance, go with what your gut is telling you.

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 07:32 PM
You seem like you know the answer and you want reassurance, go with what your gut is telling you.

LOL I thought that last year, and here I am again not sure. I'm amazed at how much some people have, and here I am trying to get just one smoker. Maybe that is why I'm having a hard time of it. I know I have to choose right the first time.

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Smokinit was instrumental in helping me sort out what I needed vs what I wanted.

Here is a thread I posted when i decided on my Humphrey's Down East Beast,

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160242

Not to get personal, but did you buy from him vs going straight through Chad? I don't want a person doing all my leg work then pull the rug out not saying that's what you did. I have emailed Chad so I just didn't want to lead anyone on. Do you get a better price going through outside distributors vs Chad?

Westx
06-20-2016, 07:43 PM
I was looking at the LSG, and Pint among others, but after I got it all put together most would be well past 3K, and I'm not that good at Q :sad:.

I was shocked when I added it all up with shipping. It started out at $1800, and almost doubled in price by the time I put the pencil down. I then had to look deep, and ask do I really need all that. So now I'm looking at a box, and how much I will save, and if I just have to save more for a Pint or get a DEB cookie cutter. That is pretty much the issue with each step. If I get a loaded box vs a plain pint or a loaded pint vs a plain DEB. So I pulled back the reins, and am looking at the box, and getting answers I need.

I had my mind made up on an LSG but the more I thought about it and what I want to do which is to be able to haul it to family reunions and such the weight difference made my final choice easy. I have a very bad back and just went through 6 weeks of PT for it and there is no way I could see moving the heavy LSG off my porch then trying to load it on my trailer. With my first two cooks I am more than satisfied with my pint.

Westx
06-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Not to get personal, but did you buy from him vs going straight through Chad? I don't want a person doing all my leg work then pull the rug out not saying that's what you did. I have emailed Chad so I just didn't want to lead anyone on. Do you get a better price going through outside distributors vs Chad?

The price for me buying through St Louis BBQ was the as if I had ordered through Chad but the shipping was much cheaper.

Burnt to a T
06-20-2016, 08:16 PM
The price for me buying through St Louis BBQ was the as if I had ordered through Chad but the shipping was much cheaper.

They only have one Pint and one battle box with slide out pan in stock, and no info on either.

Westx
06-20-2016, 08:29 PM
They only have one Pint and one battle box with slide out pan in stock, and no info on either.

Give them a call. Don't trust the Web site. Louis told me I got the last pint they had and wouldn't have anymore for 5-6 weeks. Also talk to Smokenit (Kevin) and I think you can get a good deal through him.