PDA

View Full Version : Brisket cook going on now, need quick advice

socalsmoker
05-29-2016, 02:13 PM
It's been about 13 hours at 225 so far and I'm still a novice brisket smoker. Only my second time.

I separated the point and flat at about 170 degrees.

My problem right now is that the flat has multiple temperature readings depending on where the probe is. Some parts are near 190 while other parts do not pass the knife thru butter test and remain at 170.

I'm worried i'm going to overcook the parts of the flat that are done while i wait for the uncooked portion to get up to temp and tenderize. I think it's my fault because I didn't trim the fat before cooking and the part that is having a hard time getting up to temp has a huge fat cap on top.

Do you have any advice on what I can do at this stage? Cut the flat to salvage the finshed parts or just wait till the center (thick part) is done?

pjtexas1
05-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Wrap

PatAttack
05-29-2016, 02:16 PM
I have to ask. Why did you separate it?

I would have left it whole. Wait until the thickest part of the flat probes like warm butter.

You should be fine with the point when it probes tender. Are you wrapping any of them?

socalsmoker
05-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Just wrapped it, I separated early because something I read on the Internet, realized I should have just left it alone

3Cases
05-29-2016, 05:25 PM
It'll be ok. It will even out whilst in the wrap. I assume the part of the flat where the point was attached is the lower temp?

SmokinJohn
05-30-2016, 09:52 PM
So, what happened?

For future reference, the Internet is not a good source for cooking brisket. This forum is.

Rockinar
05-30-2016, 09:56 PM
Cutting the point off is a sin. In Texas we hang folks for doing that. In Ottowa, they probably separate the point from the flat and recommend others do too.

As mentioned "the internet" is a bad source of info. So is YouTube.

Texan79423
05-31-2016, 06:52 AM
13 hours and not done. I would bet good money you have been opening the pit and messing with the brisket too much. As they say " if your looking your not cooking".

Wrap the thing up and close the lid. At that 225 or so you will experience a longer stall. Invest in a maverick 733 probe then sit back and have a beer and watch the maverick.

It is a unwritten law in Q that you have to mess up 20 briskets before you get the first one right. This is suppose to be fun and enjoyable. So Relax it done when its done. Search for Blu Dawgs method on here as well.

SmokinJohn
05-31-2016, 10:29 AM
...It is a unwritten law in Q that you have to mess up 20 briskets before you get the first one right. This is suppose to be fun and enjoyable. So Relax it done when its done. Search for Blu Dawgs method on here as well.

So *that's* my problem. I need to mess up 5 more....I think I'm getting better....

http://www.currymadness.com/images/15thbrisket.jpg