PDA

View Full Version : Two Briskets Cooking Faster Than One - Can It Be?

big_weight
05-28-2016, 03:30 AM
This is my first time cooking two briskets on my Vision Kamado. It is stuffed with briskets.

I am cooking at 225 with a water pan. Started out with one 14# and one 12#, each Costco Prime. I put one on the standard height rack, then put another rack on top, and put on the second brisket. Unfortunately, no gap between the point on the bottom brisket.

I have cooked 4 single briskets this year, and have put them in the cooler to hold after 14 - 15 hours. Been moist and tasty.

Have been wrapping (butcher paper) at internal temp of 160 - 170, depending on when I woke up to check, which has meant wrapping after 8 - 10 hours.

Just checked after 6.5 hours, and IT on both briskets is 175. The points probe pretty tender, so I wrapped them. Not due to eat for another 10.5 hours. At this rate, will be holding them in cooler for at least 6 hours, even with allowing for an hour rest on the counter before slicing.

I know each brisket is different, but I am shocked. I figured two would take at least as long to cook as one, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

What, if anything, did I miss?

MakeItHappenBBQ
05-28-2016, 04:05 AM
Going through the same thing myself actually... Brisket currently 170 after about 4 hours... I'm going to give it a little bit before I wrap..only difference between us is you have two briskets and I have 1 brisket and 1 butt on currently... 170 came mighty quick tho IMO

ebijack
05-28-2016, 05:28 AM
Every piece of meat is different. But your top rack will cook at a higher temp then the main grate. Just rotate the briskets half way into the cook or when required. Putting the larger brisket on the main grate to start with will also help. Time should be around the same for 1 or 2 briskets.

Doog
05-28-2016, 06:25 AM
Wrapping your briskets is going to push them through the stall faster. They should be fine resting for 6 hours.
Also did you trim your briskets? If so you probably lost a couple pounds.

pjtexas1
05-28-2016, 07:49 AM
More meat would only use more fuel. Times should be the same but with briskets you never know. When I cook several there will always be a quick one and a stubborn one.

Springram
05-28-2016, 08:42 AM
I hate stubborn briskets. Just hate them.

big_weight
05-28-2016, 11:27 AM
Make It Happen - Glad you joined me with similar experience.

EBIJack - Strange but the larger one on the main grate finished quicker. I finished small one off in the over.

Doog - Yes, I did trim. Thanks for info on rest. Put larger to rest at 630, smaller one at 730. Will pull out at 1130-1145 to serve at 1230.

PJTexas and Springram - Thanks for comments on stubborn one.

I now have Kamado loaded with 1 rack of full spareribs, 2 racks of St. Louie, and 2 racks of baby backs.

Finally, I am at a crossroad - either quit feeding so many people, or get a bigger cooker! Love the versatilty of the Kamado, but hate taking it apart to add more "smoke" wood when changing meats, such as after brisket, but before ribs.

With a bigger cooker, I could still quit feeding so many people and have more for the wife and me. I may try to sell her on that idea.

Thanks for the feedback.