PDA

View Full Version : smoked wings

bubba27028
05-26-2016, 10:22 AM
cpl weeks ago my son and I were at a local eating establishment and they had smoked wings......ok....interesting....they were very good.

I am sure I am not going to be able to duplicate that recipe but I was thinking of smoking them and then doing a buffalo sauce?

anybody have and oh my these wings are amazing tips or ????

Cap'nPat
05-26-2016, 10:52 AM
I've smoked wings a couple times and served them with a White BBQ sauce, and I've been really happy with how they've turned out. I coat the wings in yellow mustard then add a dry rub. (you don't taste the mustard but it helps the rub stick to the meat. Cover and let sit for 45-min to 1hr while i heat up the smoker, Then I smoke them at around 250. Most recipes I've read say it should take around 3 hours, but in my experience it's taken a little longer to get them to temperature. The white BBQ sauce is great with the smoked chicken if you've never had it. This recipe is good but I added extra spice because I like a little more kick http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/white-barbecue-sauce-3.

Yendor
05-26-2016, 12:23 PM
I do a KISS method for smoking wings. Famous Dave's Chikn wing rub, onto the kettle offset cook with pecan chunks. smoke until done. Toss in sauce that's butter, Frank's and some more of the that Dave's rub to taste. Back onto the grill to firm up the sauce. Then it goes into my gizzard.

I brought about 3lbs to work yesterday, they lasted about 20 minutes as people had time to grab some.

Bigr314
05-26-2016, 12:31 PM
this is my go to smoked wings. Theses are easy and fantastic. Place your wings in a ziplock bag filled with Frank's Hot Wing sauce. Put them in the frig overnight. While your smoker is coming up to temp, take the wings out the frig. Put on a tray and season real good with your favorite rub. I smoke mine around 300. Skin is always crispy. No need for sauce.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-26-2016, 12:54 PM
this is my go to smoked wings. Theses are easy and fantastic. Place your wings in a ziplock bag filled with Frank's Hot Wing sauce. Put them in the frig overnight. While your smoker is coming up to temp, take the wings out the frig. Put on a tray and season real good with your favorite rub. I smoke mine around 300. Skin is always crispy. No need for sauce.

does the hot sauce add any heat ?

Big George's BBQ
05-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Pattiodaddio has some good wings on his blog and the sauce is pretty good too

yakdung
05-26-2016, 02:05 PM
I inject wings and let them marinade before I smoke.

Bigr314
05-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Yes it does,plus if your rub is hot like Habenero Death Dust,
it brings in another layer of heat.

quamdar
05-26-2016, 04:28 PM
I've used everything from my normal rub to just some generic Weber chicken seasoning. Never really had smoked wings turn out bad. One thing I'd suggest though is not saucing them and just dipping them. I have found a lot of people like them without sauce, myself included.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-27-2016, 08:13 AM
I am thinking of using this....

its a road side chicken recipe as a marinade for a few hours prior to smoking. they say not to use the oil if used as a marinade.

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

cant wait!

ShadowDriver
05-27-2016, 08:31 AM
May I make a suggestion?

1 part garlic powder, paprika, onion powder
1/2 part cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper
I prefer to use a Tbsp as a measure... with a bit extra left over in a bag for later use.

Coat your wings in some of this for a good couple of hours (more, if able) before smoking or grilling.

Smoke the wings over hickory (or your preferred wood) at 325F (or something 300F+ for good skin... otherwise, crisp them on the gasser after you're happy with their done-ness) until they hit 160-165Fish.

Mix up a batch of Franks/Texas Pete, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Worcestershire Sauce... to taste.

You're not looking for a hot tub effect... but just enough to coat the wings in a bowl when they come off the smoker/grill.

Give the wings a good toss in the sauce mixture. The smoked/grilled dry rub will seriously improve the flavor of the sauce as you toss the bird.

Hope this gives you another option / idea.

Hydrated
05-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Has anyone tried brining the wings first? I was just wondering if it's possible to maximize juicy and still get the crispy skin...

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-27-2016, 08:57 AM
May I make a suggestion?

1 part garlic powder, paprika, onion powder
1/2 part cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper
I prefer to use a Tbsp as a measure... with a bit extra left over in a bag for later use.

Coat your wings in some of this for a good couple of hours (more, if able) before smoking or grilling.

Smoke the wings over hickory (or your preferred wood) at 325F (or something 300F+ for good skin... otherwise, crisp them on the gasser after you're happy with their done-ness) until they hit 160-165Fish.

Mix up a batch of Franks/Texas Pete, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Worcestershire Sauce... to taste.

You're not looking for a hot tub effect... but just enough to coat the wings in a bowl when they come off the smoker/grill.

Give the wings a good toss in the sauce mixture. The smoked/grilled dry rub will seriously improve the flavor of the sauce as you toss the bird.

Hope this gives you another option / idea.

interesting mix. Looks tasty!

the bbq place by me does a really subtle sauce, you get some flavor but its not to overwhelming. the smoke is the main note.

Old Dave
05-27-2016, 09:11 AM
I like to bread my wings and then smoke them and apply my hot sauce near the end of the cook. The breading soaks up a lot more of the hot sauce which make the wings much better in my opinion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/Pellet%20Cookers/DSC02059.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/OldDave/Pellet%20Cookers/DSC02574.jpg

Dave

ShadowDriver
05-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Dave,

I'll be honest: I've never been a fan of breaded wings. That said, I'm really interested in how you do it and how that effects the final result. Apologies if I'm rather blunt on the subject.

Any chance you'll share your breading recipe with us?
You grill your wings after breading vs. frying them, no?

Appreciate the info... To each his own...

SmokerKing
05-27-2016, 09:46 AM
For home:
Dry rub the wings, smoke for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Place on a hot grill to crisp up, add sauce of choice.

I like the smoke wings that are then deep fat fried from the "Old Mans" dive bar in Broomfield, CO.

http://theoldmanbar.com/menu

Tom Sellecks Mustache
05-27-2016, 09:50 AM
If you've never tried it, SmoFried is the way to go. I get them in the smoke for 45 to an hour, then pull them and drop them in the fryer to order. After that its a quick toss in whatever sauce they want and you got yourself a damn fine wing.

Groundhog66
05-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Holy crow, that question definitely left me scratching my head...:loco:

Yendor
05-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Not everyone thinks Frank's adds heat, I can drink it like a beer, so I would say not really just some flavor. I add cayenne or other heat sources if I want to make it hot. YMMV

Groundhog66
05-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Not everyone thinks Frank's adds heat, I can drink it like a beer, so I would say not really just some flavor. I add cayenne or other heat sources if I want to make it hot. YMMV

I'd say you're one of very few, who doesn't think Franks Hot Sauce would add any heat whatsoever. Oh, and feel free to post your YouTube video of you chugging a 12 oz glass of Franks...I look forward to checking it out.

Old Dave
05-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Dave,

I'll be honest: I've never been a fan of breaded wings. That said, I'm really interested in how you do it and how that effects the final result. Apologies if I'm rather blunt on the subject.

Any chance you'll share your breading recipe with us?
You grill your wings after breading vs. frying them, no?

Appreciate the info... To each his own...

For about 20-25 wing pieces

1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional on this amount) Wimps might use a 1/2 teaspoon

I am a chili-head and often double the spices in this recipe if I am cooking the wings just for myself.

Prep the milk and egg wash and then the dry ingredients. Wings into the wash and then rolled in the dry coating. Fridge the wings for about 45 minutes for the coating to set.

Make up your favorite hot wing sauce for basting the wings. I am sure my mixture will be tooo hot for most folks but here it is.

1 cup Louisiana hot sauce
1/4 stick of melted butter
1/8 cup honey
1/8 cup rooster
2 TBL Tabasco
2 tsp ground cayenne pepper

I just grill the wings at about 300-325 degrees and apply a couple of coats of the hot sauce near the end of the cook.

bubba27028
06-02-2016, 06:35 PM
They tuned out good

SmokerKing
06-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Smoked with Mesquite for 1 1/2 hours, to the gasser to crisp and glazed with Franks and Daves Sweet and Saucy

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/1hackman/20160529_150944_zps2lixjo6g.jpg

shares
06-03-2016, 12:31 AM
There's no shortage or recipes here so I'll keep mine close.

Lets talk about whole wings vs party wings though. Whole wings have a huge advantage - that wing nib? It's you sauce dipping handle, and it tells you when your wing is done. When it tears easily, you're about done. Set the sauce and get the crowd ready.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-03-2016, 09:52 AM

the question was kinda of like adding mustard before rubbing or soaking chicken in butter milk prior to frying, neither adds flavor but has its purpose.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-03-2016, 09:54 AM
There's no shortage or recipes here so I'll keep mine close.

Lets talk about whole wings vs party wings though. Whole wings have a huge advantage - that wing nib? It's you sauce dipping handle, and it tells you when your wing is done. When it tears easily, you're about done. Set the sauce and get the crowd ready.

I break mine down for ease of eating. also if I leave them together the skin splits at the joint and ends up looking crappy.

Roo-B-Que
06-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Gettin Basted had great wing they cooked at one of their classes. The finishing sauce was 50/50 hot sauce and Yokos Teriyaki sauce. Very good.

Yendor
06-03-2016, 11:05 AM
I'd say you're one of very few, who doesn't think Franks Hot Sauce would add any heat whatsoever. Oh, and feel free to post your YouTube video of you chugging a 12 oz glass of Franks...I look forward to checking it out.
The vinegar gets me before the "heat". You must find ketchup spicy. Eating Trinidad scorpions will teach you where your tolerance level is.

Recently did some wings with a spicy teriyaki. We made teriyaki sauce (google it, there are many recipes and better than store bought) and added some chipolte pepper flakes for a little warmth. When it comes to wings I am a traditionalist, Buffalo sauce with Blue Cheese dressing. These little wings may have converted me. The reheated ones were not as good as fresh off the kettle though. We didn't firm up the sauce on the kettle, we warmed it up on the stove and tossed the wings in it.

Groundhog66
06-03-2016, 12:59 PM
The vinegar gets me before the "heat". You must find ketchup spicy. Eating Trinidad scorpions will teach you where your tolerance level is.

Why would my comment lead you to believe that I can't handle heat? I love heat, as long as it is balanced with the other flavors. I have no desire to eat scorpion peppers, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Yendor
06-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Why would my comment lead you to believe that I can't handle heat? I love heat, as long as it is balanced with the other flavors. I have no desire to eat scorpion peppers, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I guess what I tried to convey (like I originally said) not everyone's tolerence to heat is the same. To me Frank's is not spicy, I love that stuff and put the Sh.. on everything, but I don't think it is spicy. So as I pointed out before, someone asked if it added spice to the wings, if it were me, I would say meh, probably not. That vinegar tang though, that is nice to have.

Richard1233
06-03-2016, 01:56 PM
I smoke my wings all the time and they come out great. I've been wanting to try something that would crisp up the skin but haven't done it yet, i want to smoke the wings then deep fry them for a minute or 2 and then sauce them up.

Groundhog66
06-03-2016, 02:12 PM
I love me some wings, but I'll never understand why folks cook party wings...unless whole are not available anywhere.

pitboy
06-03-2016, 02:29 PM
I have never smoked wings before. But after reading ans seeing the results i can't wait to try them.

Yendor
06-03-2016, 03:42 PM
I love me some wings, but I'll never understand why folks cook party wings...unless whole are not available anywhere.
It's definitely harder for us to find whole wings. We do occasionally find them and buy them though, so much easier to deal with while cooking, but harder to sauce, IMO. I like to pull them off the grill into a large SS bowl, toss in sauce and put back onto the grill to firm it up and add another layer of sauce afterwards.

Pecan wood is the key to great wings. I love it on chicken.

Groundhog66
06-03-2016, 03:53 PM
It's definitely harder for us to find whole wings. We do occasionally find them and buy them though, so much easier to deal with while cooking, but harder to sauce, IMO. I like to pull them off the grill into a large SS bowl, toss in sauce and put back onto the grill to firm it up and add another layer of sauce afterwards.

Pecan wood is the key to great wings. I love it on chicken.

I typically just sauce them right on the grill, or with some sauces, I just toss afterwards...and dig in.

BillN
06-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Give me smoked beef ribs and wings and I will be your loyal friend forever. I guess that would be my achilles heel.