PDA

View Full Version : Smoking the day before?

ChrisH
05-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Howdy!

I have been voluntold to smoke for a buddy's family Memorial Day party on Sunday. I have to leave town early Sunday morning for work, and am cooking overnight Friday for a different buddy's different party that is Saturday.

The Sunday party people have no problem reheating the BBQ, that was their plan anyway before I agreed to help out. In total I am doing too LARGE butts, one for each party, and 3 good sized briskets - 1 for Saturday and 2 for Sunday. I am not worried about the Saturday food, as we will hold it in a cooler until the party.

For the Sunday party, I am looking for suggestions as to reheating - it should be fool proof as I will not be there. We do have access to 3 sous vide circulators and Buddy A is proficient in their use. I am toying with the idea of holding some or all of the meat once done at 150F sous vide.

With regards to the Butt, pre-pull or post-pull?

Any tips gratefully received...

IamMadMan
05-24-2016, 11:03 PM
A vac-sealer would be great if you have one.

Cook everything at once, cool and hold for a couple hours, then pull and put into vac-seal bags. Then put the bags on ice and then vac-seal them and refrigerate.

To reheat, just bring a pot of water to boil, turn the burner off, and drop in the bag. After 15 minutes the meat is at a safe serving temperature. Three pounds will loosely fill a half-size hotel pan.

Other than that just pull and put in an aluminum pan with some apple juice, cover tightly, and when ready gently reheat on the grill.

martyleach
05-24-2016, 11:14 PM
Dave Bart, who is a BBQ guy and a caterer pulls the pork when cool enough to handle. Into a plastic bag for the night. The next day it goes into a foil pan, covered and heated in the smoker until warm.

m-fine
05-25-2016, 07:56 AM
I would not hold in the sous vide all the way until Sunday, but you can definitely use it to reheat.

NickTheGreat
05-25-2016, 08:27 AM
I like to pull and then vac seal. I've boiled that to reheat, but for a larger quantity, I've used a roaster, but an oven or grill should work too.

ChrisH
05-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!