PDA

View Full Version : But yet another brisket question

dcimike125
05-24-2016, 06:30 PM
OK, I've done the search but here's the deal. the 1st anniversary of my close friend's passing is on Friday. His mom asked me to do brisket for it as she had my PBC brisket a couple weeks ago. I have to work :mad2: til 3PM. Gathering is around 5:30 Friday night.

I am going to cook a 6 lb flat on Thursday and reheat it on Friday after work while I do the baked beans she requested.

What is the best way to reheat so that everyone thinks it just came off the smoker and brought over to her house? I was thinking based on my search of the forum to get the broiling pan, fill the bottom with water, cover with foil and heat at 250* while the beans are in the oven. Good move or is there better?

I want it to come out perfect, this is a hard day for her and I want to go the extra step (shy of taking the day off, smoking it and bringing it over during the "rest").

All advice will be appreciated.

Norm
05-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Not a brisket expert but I did want to say your a good man for helping out like this.

pjtexas1
05-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Agree...nice of you to help out. I have been in this spot before. I would cook at night and have it ready early the morning of. Let it rest for 30 minutes uncovered, an hour would be better, then put it a 170 degree oven for 12 hours. Venting/resting is vital to completely stop the cooking process.

Bludawg
05-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Let it rest once it come off until the IT is in the 150's then wrap it in Plastic Wrap and cool it over night. 3 hrs before service preheat the oven to 250 put the plastic wrapped brisket in the oven and drop the temp to 170.

landarc
05-24-2016, 07:35 PM
There is a couple of things here.

One, at events like this, people are rarely that critical of the food. Don't sweat it being perfect, sweat it being there on time, and being a good friend.

Two, because of the fact that you have to work, you are going to have to cook it early. My preference when this is necessary is to cook it until done. If you wrapped, unwrap completely. If you didn't, then just remove and rest on rack. 1 hour rest. Then wrap in an oven bag (I use a doubled turkey roasting bag) or other suitably water and heat resistant bag and dunk in ice water. The faster you cool the roast the better it will hold it's quality.

Three, to reheat, you can use a pan, in an oven. Add 1/2 cup of liquid, can be water, beef broth, beer, etc...Wrap with foil and pop in to oven at 350F, with a thermometer, heat to 175Fish, remove, and travel. You can also remove the foil for the last 15 to 20 minutes, to crisp the bark a bit.

dcimike125
05-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks all.
The back story is My buddy David used to drive a tow truck with me part time. One night, a year ago Friday, I was covering for him and around 3 am I got a call from the local P.D. to pick up a motorcycle after an accident. Got on scene and recognized the bike as David's. Sadly, he didn't make it. He had a heart attack 2 blocks from his house and laid the bike down.

I miss him tremendously so I want this to go off perfectly for his mom who has taken over breaking my shoes about stupid things :wink:.