PDA

View Full Version : Success!

crow-p5
01-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Ok, after a very hairy Saturday evening with bad weather rolling in, I got the tarp hung over the smoker MacGuyver style using anything I could use as a post. I was so afraid that a good wind would knock it all down. I was so glad yesterday morning to find that, despite the wind gusting up, my contraption was holding. As the rain came down, I managed to keep my smoker dry the entire day. Temp control was a little trickier because of the weather, but I managed to keep it between 225 & 250. I smoked 2 racks of Memphis style ribs, 1 rack of Buffalo style ribs, a ham sausage fatty stuffed with M. Jack and pepperoni and covered in hot Cheezits as well as make 2 cheddar & cream cheese cheese balls covered in chopped pecans and I popped some parm & olive oil covered baby reds in the oven. Overall, things turned out good. We had a few ppl that weren't able to make it to the house this year. Before everyone left, we finished off 2 racks of ribs, 1 cheeseball and between me, my wife and my HS buddy James, we devoured the fatty in about 10 mins. I managed to get 6 pics of the day. The first is the smoker warming up under the tarp. The 2nd one is my lazy assistant napping on the job. The 3rd one is the fatty I made. The 4th one is during the devouring of the fatty. The wife didn't care much for me taking a pic of her still in her Publix apron :lol: . The 5th one is a pic of the Memphis ribs I made. The last one is a pic of the Buffalo style ribs. I wasn't too sure how they'd turn out. I though they turned out good myself. It was the first rack that got finished off.

SmokeInDaEye
01-01-2007, 01:05 PM
That's some good looking eats! Congrats on the tarp. Looked like it worked perfectly.

bbqbull
01-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Looks like total sucess on your Q.

ModelMaker
01-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I could eat sum dat!!!
ModelMaker

Leeper
01-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Are the Buffalo style ribs just standard pork ribs with Frank's hot sauce on them?

They sound and look good.

swamprb
01-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Any particular cooking method on the spares? Are you using water in the pan of the GOSM?

chad
01-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Congrats on a succesful cook session.

The food makes it worthwhile...Happy New Year!

jacob
01-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Good Job, them buffallo style ribs got my mouth watering.

frognot
01-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Congrats! Looks like some real fine que ya done up!

Arlin_MacRae
01-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Right on, Crow! Good lookin' eats, and tell mama we don't care what people wear when they eat BBQ.... :biggrin:

beerguy
01-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Wow, looks great. I havent seen that Ham sausage in over a year. IK figured they took it off the market. I always liked it, never got a chance to make a fattie out of it. Good eats.

crow-p5
01-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Are the Buffalo style ribs just standard pork ribs with Frank's hot sauce on them?

They sound and look good.

The Buffalo style ribs came out of a Steve Raichlen book that I got. It's a pretty basic rub with dry mustard, salt, lemon pepper and a few other spices. Then you cook a stick of butter and a half cup of Tabasco or any other hot sauce together and baste the ribs with it 3 or 4 times while it's cooking.

Any particular cooking method on the spares? Are you using water in the pan of the GOSM?

I'm keeping things pretty simple until I get the hang of using the smoker. I just used a dry rub on all the ribs and made some basic Buffalo sauce for the Buffalo ribs. I'm using water in the pan right now. I've thought about experimenting with apple cider or even beer in the near future.

Wow, looks great. I havent seen that Ham sausage in over a year. IK figured they took it off the market. I always liked it, never got a chance to make a fattie out of it. Good eats.

I got the ham sausage from a restaurant distribution company that opens their doors to the public every Friday. I managed to get it for $0.85 a tube. Don't know if I'll ever be able to find it again since. the items they carry change from week to week.

As for everyone else, thanx for all the compliments. I've really enjoyed using my smoker since I got it for Christmas. Some time this week, though, I'll have to grill something just so my grill doesn't feel lonely. :lol:
vbmenu_register("postmenu_330102", true);

bbqjoe
01-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I thought for aminute the fattie was made out of your lazy assistant.
Good pics.

jpw23
01-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Food looks great, your better half does not look too pleased with the camera though....might wanna watch yer back for a few days!

G$
01-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Maybe sacreligious question: Did you serve the Buffalo ribs with Ranch or bleu cheese? Never thought of a buffalo treatment on ribs, but now that you mention it ....

Kirk
01-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Good lookin grub crow. Don't you love it when a plan comes together?