PDA

View Full Version : wrapping a shoulder

bubba27028
05-23-2016, 01:58 PM
have had a cpl people say that after 7 hours of smoking wrap and either oven it to 200 or just put it back in the smoker. I have 2 dumb question and please keep in mind I am a novice at this ...but want to learn

why do you not want smoke on the shoulder after 7 hours?

and number 2 question if I put the shoulder in a pan and cover it with foil is that the same as wrapping? or do I need to wrap foil 100 percent around the meat like a Christmas present?

MakeItHappenBBQ
05-23-2016, 02:12 PM
I personally don't wrap my pork shoulders at all.. Not during the cook at least.. Once they're done, I may wrap to hold them until it's time to eat.. I have wrapped a couple times in a pinch when I am pressed for time, but not a typical practice for me.

You should try both methods and see which you prefer IMO.

diggles
05-23-2016, 02:22 PM
I usually put them in a foil pan covered in foil after a while when it's got good bark, usually at the early point in the stall. Speeds up cooking time and I also usually crank up the heat at that point. The bark is softer than going naked the whole cook, but I don't mind.

yakdung
05-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Use this champion as your guide.
http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/04/slap-yo-daddy-bone-in-pork-butt-2/

G'Daddy
05-23-2016, 02:39 PM
I personally don't wrap my pork shoulders at all.. Not during the cook at least.. Once they're done, I may wrap to hold them until it's time to eat.. I have wrapped a couple times in a pinch when I am pressed for time, but not a typical practice for me.

You should try both methods and see which you prefer IMO.
Ditto :wink:

bubba27028
05-23-2016, 02:40 PM
so after 7hours (number I keep hearing a lot) if I wrap it there is no need for smoke? I was always under the impression that you kept smoke going at all times? that or I watch to much tv

Grimm5577
05-23-2016, 02:46 PM
I think the main purpose to wrapping a butt is for color. Some people like to keep a mahogany color and will wrap it when it achieves a color they desire.

fnjay
05-23-2016, 02:56 PM
You keep saying "7 hours", but realize this is no hard and fast rule. Its really just when the bark is at the point you like it, or some people like to look for an IT of 165. Mine is ready to wrap in 3-4 hours.

Anyway I like mine wrapped. I'm cooking it a little higher heat so the wrap helps to keep the bark from getting too far gone and crunchy.

I like a pan with foil over cause then I can just pull it right in that same pan when its ready. Once you wrap smoke aint getting t the meat so you can chuck it back on the smoker or finish in the oven and it wont matter. Check for doneness by seeing if the bone wiggles free easily.

bubba27028
05-23-2016, 02:57 PM
interesting im learning new stuff every day...I have been reading on the form that the wrapping mainly speeds up the temperature if your at a major stall or your running out of time or you are done and you want to keep it till munching time...im gonna keep my eye on this mahogany color

m-fine
05-23-2016, 03:17 PM
I usually don't wrap either. Wrapping as mentioned is primarily to speed through the stall and to stop the bark from getting overdone when cooking at high temps. As such a covered pan will work fine. Patiently cooking at a lower temp for longer time also works and is my preferred method.

KevinJ
05-23-2016, 03:37 PM
I like to cook a pork shoulder at 300 and will wrap it with Butcher Paper at 4hrs in because it will have the color I'm looking for. Last shoulder (9lbs) I did only took 5.5hrs, I did let the Smoker creep up to 320 after I wrapped it.

I'm not big on using foil other than for holding meat, that's just my preference but a lot of people like to use foil.