PDA

View Full Version : bbq bean substitute

fantomlord
05-20-2016, 06:33 PM
ok, strange question probably, but...

kiddo is allergic to beans, but loves my baked beans. Looking for a substitute to use--any suggestions?

lentils? will they turn to mush?

chickpeas? (not sure if they're ok for him to eat--don't know if they're peas or beans, or neither...)

MisterChrister suggested hominy, and other stuff (kid has my phone right now, so I can't check)...sounded good, may give it, or a reasonable facsimile a try

other thoughts?

Titch
05-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Lentils are part of the same family ,so you need to check that out
You could make the Bean sauce and add the lentil a bit later.
or diced sweet potato ,but dont overcook it
Is it allergy or stomach intolerance?

BillN
05-20-2016, 08:10 PM
I like Titch's idea about the diced sweet potato, can get some of the same flavor profile from baked beans.

jermoQ
05-20-2016, 09:02 PM
Lentils and chickpeas are legumes just like beans. Ifhe is allergic to a certain kind of bean, then maybe substitute lentils or purple hull peas. I like the hominy idea though.

Okie Sawbones
05-20-2016, 10:38 PM
ok, strange question probably, but...

kiddo is allergic to beans, but loves my baked beans. Looking for a substitute to use--any suggestions?

Yep. Are you sure the kid is allergic to beans? Have they had a specific allergy test? True allergies can cause anaphylaxis e.g. like trouble breathing, a swollen tongue, dizziness, etc.

Food intolerance means your body is missing an enzyme you need to digest some types of food. If you're lactose intolerant, you lack enough lactase, an enzyme that lets you digest dairy products. If you're gluten intolerant, you can't process gluten, which is found in some grains including wheat, barley, and rye

When asked, as many as 30% of people will say they have a food allergy, but the vast majority of these people don’t have a true, life-threatening food allergy." The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases estimates that food allergies occur in 6% to 8% of children 4 years of age or younger, and less than 4% of adults.

Don't mean to butt into your business, pard, just throwing out some BS for you to ponder on.

fantomlord
05-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Yep. Are you sure the kid is allergic to beans? Have they had a specific allergy test? True allergies can cause anaphylaxis e.g. like trouble breathing, a swollen tongue, dizziness, etc.

Food intolerance means your body is missing an enzyme you need to digest some types of food. If you're lactose intolerant, you lack enough lactase, an enzyme that lets you digest dairy products. If you're gluten intolerant, you can't process gluten, which is found in some grains including wheat, barley, and rye

When asked, as many as 30% of people will say they have a food allergy, but the vast majority of these people don’t have a true, life-threatening food allergy." The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases estimates that food allergies occur in 6% to 8% of children 4 years of age or younger, and less than 4% of adults.

Don't mean to butt into your business, pard, just throwing out some BS for you to ponder on.

no worries...and we're very well versed in food allergies and sensitivities, and the differences, etc.