PDA

View Full Version : How to load up a BGE?

Crotonmark
05-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Thinking of buying a BGE.
Dumb question-how do you load charcoal and smoking wood into it?
The charcoal burning area seems so large that I can't figure out
Where to put the wood to create a good smoke
Can you guys help?
I've watched videos but it's not clear.
Also I trust you guys more.
Thanks
Mark

CopyNPaste
05-17-2016, 09:31 AM
Tips and Tricks on the Big Green Egg - YouTube

Crotonmark
05-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks.
I'll watch

Smoking Piney
05-17-2016, 09:52 AM
I mix the smoke wood chunks in with the lump when I load my Egg.

16Adams
05-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Absolutely not trying to change your mind. BGE's are quality cookers. All my friends and family have them. I have a BGE-Mini that gets quite a workout. BUT every one of my friends wish BGE made an oval design. Mine has a divider where I can load coals to one side and make an offset configuration. I mix lump and smoking wood chunks.

16Adams
05-17-2016, 09:53 AM
And a lit cube

Crotonmark
05-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Thanks.
I'll watch

Man those tips make this seem
Like a real pain compared to my weber

Big George's BBQ
05-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Use Lump Put large pieces in first and then medium size pieces This will help to promote airflow Go to the Naked Whiz site and click on ceramic cookers I have a Large BGE and love it Some people who have an extra large will divide the fire box and only fill half with coal- that way you can do a reverse sear easily If you get one you will love it Just remember if cooking at high heat when you open the lid only open a little at first and then all the way- called burping Prevents losing the hair on your arms

Crotonmark
05-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Use Lump Put large pieces in first and then medium size pieces This will help to promote airflow Go to the Naked Whiz site and click on ceramic cookers I have a Large BGE and love it Some people who have an extra large will divide the fire box and only fill half with coal- that way you can do a reverse sear easily If you get one you will love it Just remember if cooking at high heat when you open the lid only open a little at first and then all the way- called burping Prevents losing the hair on your arms

Thanks
Do you really need to replace the gasket annually?

Big George's BBQ
05-17-2016, 11:13 AM
I have had my Egg for several years The gasket could/should be replaced I have never done it and it cooks just fine I believe they make a high heat gasket that you can replace the original with

jwtseng
05-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Nothing really cooks with the ease and efficiency of a ceramic cooker, I have to say. It's different from an offset or a Weber, but you won't be disappointed in the investment. I actually moved away from cooking on my Primo as often and got a stickburner because I felt that cooking on the Primo was too easy...lol.

BGE is a good brand with a large accessories market. Primo has the edge with the oval design. But all ceramics function the same way. Use only lump and mix in chunks of smoking wood. With the efficiency of ceramics, people told me not to put as much lump in at once. But I will tell you, the biggest pain in the arse is having to reload a ceramic cooker in the middle of a cook. I always put more in than I think I will need. As long as your gaskets are making a tight seal (and yes, I do recommend replacing them often and being careful not to get sauces/drips on them or burning them off by keeping the lid open too long with a live fire), you will only burn as much charcoal as the cooker requires and the rest will be ready to burn for the next cook.

cheeaa
05-17-2016, 12:27 PM
If you have to reload your egg during ANY cook, you're doing it wrong. I've had an egg for several years now, and have never thought about redoing the gasket. I think people worry about it too much. Also, I have a both a Weber OTG and a large Egg and while I love the Weber, if I'm being totally honest, the Egg simply blows it out of the water in every conceivable way. You will not regret it.

Crotonmark
05-17-2016, 12:58 PM
If you have to reload your egg during ANY cook, you're doing it wrong. I've had an egg for several years now, and have never thought about redoing the gasket. I think people worry about it too much. Also, I have a both a Weber OTG and a large Egg and while I love the Weber, if I'm being totally honest, the Egg simply blows it out of the water in every conceivable way. You will not regret it.

What can you cook on a large vs XL?

Smoking Piney
05-17-2016, 01:25 PM

I opted for the XL just to have the extra cooking area. It's better to have the extra space than to be needing more.

On a full load of lump, my XL will run close to if not over 20 hours on a low and slow cook. My Egg is a little over a year old and the gasket is still in great shape. Some owners kill their gaskets prematurely by doing nuclear hot "clean burns", which are completely un-needed.

The BGE was a solid investment for me - worth every penny.

4ever3
05-17-2016, 01:48 PM
I was set on an XL BGE until Weber came out with the Summit Charcoal, have you looked at it?

Crotonmark
05-17-2016, 01:51 PM
I was set on an XL BGE until Weber came out with the Summit Charcoal, have you looked at it?

No to that weber. No one here liked it
How much is the XL all decked out?

Smoking Piney
05-17-2016, 02:07 PM

I paid $1300 last year for the EGG, nest, plate setter, and ash tool. The prices will vary by dealer.

Then I bought a Woo2 ring and a Flame Boss 200. I don't really feel the need for any more accessories.

Crotonmark
05-17-2016, 02:17 PM
I paid $1300 last year for the EGG, nest, plate setter, and ash tool. The prices will vary by dealer.

Then I bought a Woo2 ring and a Flame Boss 200. I don't really feel the need for any more accessories.

What is a Woo2 ring and a Flame Boss 200?
How much is the price for the XL over the L?

thanks

Springram
05-17-2016, 02:17 PM
nothing really cooks with the ease and efficiency of a ceramic cooker, i have to say. It's different from an offset or a weber, but you won't be disappointed in the investment. I actually moved away from cooking on my primo as often and got a stickburner because i felt that cooking on the primo was too easy...lol.

Bge is a good brand with a large accessories market. Primo has the edge with the oval design. But all ceramics function the same way. Use only lump and mix in chunks of smoking wood. With the efficiency of ceramics, people told me not to put as much lump in at once. But i will tell you, the biggest pain in the arse is having to reload a ceramic cooker in the middle of a cook. I always put more in than i think i will need. As long as your gaskets are making a tight seal (and yes, i do recommend replacing them often and being careful not to get sauces/drips on them or burning them off by keeping the lid open too long with a live fire), you will only burn as much charcoal as the cooker requires and the rest will be ready to burn for the next cook.

exactly true in all respects! Amen to all you said........

Smoking Piney
05-17-2016, 02:25 PM
What is a Woo2 ring and a Flame Boss 200?
How much is the price for the XL over the L?

thanks

The Woo Ring sits on top of the fire box to raise the grate level above the coals:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-xl-woo-ring-accessories-for-xl-big-green-egg/products/xl-woo-bge

The Flame Boss is a controller to remotely run your EGG - a great thing for long low and slow cooks:

https://www.flameboss.com/store/p/34-Flame-Boss-200-WiFi-Kamado-Smoker-Controller-Fits-Big-Green-Egg.aspx

I suggest you call some dealers and get some prices. The prices can be all over the map.

m-fine
05-17-2016, 02:31 PM

Large briskets, full racks of ribs, whole sides of salmon and similar large items may not fit on an 18" Large BGE without trimming them down. The XL or Primo oval definitely expands not only your total capacity but your ability to do long or wide items.

Crotonmark
05-17-2016, 02:57 PM
Large briskets, full racks of ribs, whole sides of salmon and similar large items may not fit on an 18" Large BGE without trimming them down. The XL or Primo oval definitely expands not only your total capacity but your ability to do long or wide items.

thanks - I will most likely go with the XL if I make the leap from my Weber Kettle

4ever3
05-17-2016, 03:12 PM
No to that weber. No one here liked it

Oh, alrighty then!

Right at $1500 here loaded out.

Smoking Piney
05-17-2016, 06:16 PM
thanks - I will most likely go with the XL if I make the leap from my Weber Kettle

The XL is a great choice, and that is the exact leap I made from my kettle last year. I smile every time I load lump into my Egg for a cook.

I cooked on kettles for over 30 years and they are great cookers, but to me, they can't hold a candle to a BGE for capability.

The BGE is a serious leap and investment, but it has kicked my cooking game through the roof. It doesn't cook like a kettle and it has a learning curve, but it's not rocket science and easy to get accustomed to.

You can't go wrong with a BGE.

jsperk
05-17-2016, 06:52 PM
I had a large Grill Dome and now I have a Big Joe. I wouldn't own a large, I just didn't like that size for cooking. I'm probably in the minority. I don't think a ceramic blows away a kettle. I like my kettle better for certain things. Then again whatever cooker I'm using that day is my favorite.
I do like how the big Joe has the split firebox for indirect cooking and you get the divide and conquer. I do like the oval shape primo has.