PDA

View Full Version : Pork Butt - WSM

Smoke_at_Altitude
05-15-2016, 09:12 AM
It's Q day... doing my first butt on the new WSM ... I've done one on my kettle so I'm looking forward to a much more enjoyable cook with the WSM.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/gmjones2001/Weber%20Smokey%20Mountain/May%2015%20Pork%20Butt%20002_zps1h7nyfam.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gmjones2001/media/Weber%20Smokey%20Mountain/May%2015%20Pork%20Butt%20002_zps1h7nyfam.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/gmjones2001/Weber%20Smokey%20Mountain/May%2015%20Pork%20Butt%20004_zpsp0gywx6u.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gmjones2001/media/Weber%20Smokey%20Mountain/May%2015%20Pork%20Butt%20004_zpsp0gywx6u.jpg.html)

Brewdino
05-15-2016, 09:43 AM
So it looks like your going to have a good day. I do have a question, I am smoking 2 butts on a kettle for the first time (visiting son in the Air Force)
Any words of wisdom.

Smoke_at_Altitude
05-15-2016, 09:57 AM
So it looks like your going to have a good day. I do have a question, I am smoking 2 butts on a kettle for the first time (visiting son in the Air Force)
Any words of wisdom.

Cool on your son! I served in the USAF back in the day ... :)

I set up my kettle per this video: How I setup my weber kettle for a low & slow session - Pitmaster X - YouTube

I use firebricks to divide my charcoal .. using about 1/3 of the charcoal grate for fuel.

I also use two firebricks on my food grate as a heat shield, though I didn't do this with the butt.

Do you have a pit thermometer? I use a Maverick ET-733 now ... when I did my butt I didn't have it ... I used a $5 oven thermometer sitting on the food grate.

I got it done but it took a long time .. I wasn't monitoring/controlling my pit temp good enough ... this was my first long cook ever and I was surprised at how often and how much fuel I had to add. Having to open the lid to check pit temp. was a problem as well.

I used a snake/minion method ... I tried to mimic a slow and sear if you know what that is ... so a layered snake .. I think I added 10 lit coals to one end.

Since getting the Maverick I've done ribs on the kettle and it makes it so much easier to know what's going on inside your pit without having to take the lid off and lose all your heat.

Good luck!

Brewdino
05-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words, the boys a crew chief on KC-10s, really proud of him.
I bought the charcoal baskets from Weber and with foil heat shields the cook is in the 6th hr and looking good at 170. I like the fire brick idea, I was a little resource lite on base, thanks much for the input, I will let you know how things finish up

Schubox
05-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Congrats on the new WSM Altitude! Looks like you got a great start on the pork butt. Is the weather giving you any issues? Monument is really windy and pretty darn chilly. I've got a spatchcocked chicken brining and was planning on smoking it in the WSM this afternoon. This will be my first one cooked like this, I've only done cut up chicken parts so far.
I'm going for it regardless and will just have the oven as a backup plan in case the storms get really bad. Good luck with your cook! Love me some pulled pork.

Smoke_at_Altitude
05-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words, the boys a crew chief on KC-10s, really proud of him.
I bought the charcoal baskets from Weber and with foil heat shields the cook is in the 6th hr and looking good at 170. I like the fire brick idea, I was a little resource lite on base, thanks much for the input, I will let you know how things finish up

Sounds like it's going good! Keep us posted.

Smoke_at_Altitude
05-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Congrats on the new WSM Altitude! Looks like you got a great start on the pork butt. Is the weather giving you any issues? Monument is really windy and pretty darn chilly. I've got a spatchcocked chicken brining and was planning on smoking it in the WSM this afternoon. This will be my first one cooked like this, I've only done cut up chicken parts so far.
I'm going for it regardless and will just have the oven as a backup plan in case the storms get really bad. Good luck with your cook! Love me some pulled pork.

Weather was calm/cloudy this morning ...but now the wind has picked up ....

My butt seems to have stalled at 151 ....

I'm using Stubbs charcoal briquettes for the first time today ... was shooting for 225...this charcoal took more throttling on the vents to get there ...then I decided to let it run at 250 ... I'm at 244 now...

About 7 hours in ... want to hit 160 and wrap her up ....

Schubox
05-15-2016, 04:14 PM
Weather was calm/cloudy this morning ...but now the wind has picked up ....

My butt seems to have stalled at 151 ....

I'm using Stubbs charcoal briquettes for the first time today ... was shooting for 225...this charcoal took more throttling on the vents to get there ...then I decided to let it run at 250 ... I'm at 244 now...

About 7 hours in ... want to hit 160 and wrap her up ....

Awesome, sounds like it's going really well. Stubbs is great, I use it most of the time. The BBQ gods are smiling on me and the weather is cooperating! Smoking season is upon us Coloradans!

Gary Tomato
05-17-2016, 09:16 AM
I've always had great results with my WSM, looks like you will too!

angryelfFan
05-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Yep, much more enjoyable on the WSM. Looks like you are off to a great start.

BillN
05-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Man that is one pretty looking butt you got there.

Dmakkk
05-17-2016, 06:01 PM
WSM's Rock....

Happy Hapgood
05-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Indeed WSM's Rock. Check out this know all end all site for the WSM: www.tvwbb.com (http://www.tvwbb.com)

I too am a USAF vet. Go Mother MAC! Great looking butt!

Tiger862
05-17-2016, 08:38 PM
I took baskets apart. I was having heat issues in long cooks as coal was choking on the ash so I was working coals while I cooked. Took the metal band off the baskets and use the other piece with smaller side under pan as well as longer side as a divider. No more smothering temps. Just my experience with the baskets.