PDA

View Full Version : Removing Pork Tubes

Back9Q
05-12-2016, 07:43 PM
I look around a lot on pork turn in boxes to give me some ideas for future comps. I always turn in sliced MM and the Horn in my turn in boxes. I am wanting to get good solid pieces of the tubes but I am having a hard time finding them in a cooked butt. Everything just tends to fall apart. I know where they are at and everything I have searched for just shows location and not someone actually removing them. Is there a video on youtube or does someone on here have pics of the process?

Ron_L
05-12-2016, 07:51 PM
No video on removing them, but they are just under the fat cap. It's easier to find them if the butt is fat cap up.

Here is a video showing where they are...

https://youtu.be/g2zDpl-OQc8

Back9Q
05-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks Ron. I saw Malcolm's video on location. Never thought to turn fat cap up. Is there a chance of destroying them by pumping to much injection into the butt?

Ron_L
05-12-2016, 08:34 PM
I've never destroyed them :-D If you're injection is destroying the meat, you might want to try another injection :D

Thatgrimguy
05-12-2016, 08:38 PM
I find the tubes always dry out on me. I've never nailed them. Don't put them in the box unless they are perfect.

DUBBAGA
05-12-2016, 09:32 PM
I find the tubes always dry out on me. I've never nailed them. Don't put them in the box unless they are perfect.

When judging I have yet to have the tubes be the best of multiple types of meat presented, and more often than not result in a collective lower score when considering the "totality of the box". Due to this, when cooking at a comp, the tubes don't get used.