PDA

View Full Version : First Kamado Calzones (Kalzones?)

m-fine
05-07-2016, 07:32 PM
So today marks my first week anniversary of Kamado ownership (Costco Pit Boss) and I decided to try calzones.

I used my new CGS spider flipped up to raise the main grid to the felt line, and then put a 16" stone on the second grid which sits about 3 3/4" higher. I also put a 14" stone on the lower rack to serve as a heat deflector. Cook temp was 600-640.

I made a basic dough this morning and filled with a mix of parmegian, romano, mozzarella, and ricotta and sausage. The top was coated with olive oil and a bit of minced garlic. Extra dough turned into breadsticks with oil garlic and parm. I started everything on parchment and then once the dough started to cook I pulled the paper. Nothing stuck and the crust came out perfect.

Two minor issues to improve upon for the next attemp. First, the garlic did not hold up to the heat too well and I am going to have to up my game on the external flavorings. Second, the cheese filling seemed mozzarella heavy in the mixing bowl, but when cooked the ricotta was a little more over powering than my family likes, so I will need to dial that back a bit more.

I have a lot of learning still to do and many more things to try, but so far I am really loving the ease and versatility of the Kamado.

Tips, tricks and recipes always welcome...

Stingerhook
05-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Yes please!

blazinfire
05-07-2016, 07:46 PM
I love calzones! Gives me an idea for a left over brisket calzone! sounds good!

m-fine
05-07-2016, 08:15 PM
I love calzones! Gives me an idea for a left over brisket calzone! sounds good!

Yeah, you can definitely do way better with the fillings, especially if you have some good leftover que! I wanted to keep this one very simple because my kids like a plain sausage and cheese calzone and I had no idea if it was going to work. The good stuff goes on once I know what I am doing, or at least once I think I know what I am doing. :loco:

blazinfire
05-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Yeah, you can definitely do way better with the fillings, especially if you have some good leftover que! I wanted to keep this one very simple because my kids like a plain sausage and cheese calzone and I had no idea if it was going to work. The good stuff goes on once I know what I am doing, or at least once I think I know what I am doing. :loco:

Well no need to wait to start the good stuff! Looks like your onto something already!! :thumb: