PDA

View Full Version : Cooking overnight

Tiger862
05-05-2016, 01:43 PM
As the title says looks like I will have to cook a Shoulder overnight. The shoulder is 12lbs. I was going to cook on Saturday and let rest then refrigerate until Sunday cause time for eating is 12 noon. Now Saturday is booked by unforeseen events and won't be back until 8pm. So anyone cook with Kettle overnight?. I hope I will be able to sleep couple of hours then check on it. Is this possible without a wireless temp monitor or should I just stay up and then rest when meat rest? Any opinions would be appreciated. I will using the Snake method and keeping at 250.

dadsr4
05-05-2016, 02:05 PM
If the snake method has worked well in the past for you, you should be able to at least nap some. Establish your temp, insure that it's steady, and go for it. Or set everything up to start the coals ahead of time, start the coals when you get home on Sat, go in and get your meat and start cooking. When you start getting sleepy, set your oven for 250, wrap the butt in foil, and put it in the oven.

mattmountz94
05-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Sounds tight on time to me.. Wouldn't have on till at least 9pm and at 250 shes gonna take awhile. To answer your question though i have done numerous overnight cooks with the kettle. I do have a maverick that i set for a low temp on the pit. I would just go to bed and set an alarm to go look in 4hrs or so. With my maverick set i sleep like a baby till the next morning when i go check. Only issue with the snake and the kettle is that it burns directly under the meat at certain stages of the snake.

krex1010
05-05-2016, 02:31 PM
I've done a bunch of overnighters with a kettle, I never used the snake method, I always banked coals off with some bricks and threw a dozen lot coals on top of unlit, I could get 4-5 hours burn time reasonably...you may be tight on time, especially if your temps drop while you sleep. You could always get it on by 9:30, let it take smoke for a 5 hours or so then put it in the oven around 2am get some sleep, then check your temps in the morning and if you're looking tight on time wrap it and bump your temps up. I won't tell anyone

Happy Hapgood
05-05-2016, 05:09 PM
If wind is up, it might take longer. Also, maintaining a constant temp will fit your timeframe. The Maverick ET-732 or the like is made for these situations.

Good Luck!

m-fine
05-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I've done a bunch of overnighters with a kettle, I never used the snake method, I always banked coals off with some bricks and threw a dozen lot coals on top of unlit, I could get 4-5 hours burn time reasonably...you may be tight on time, especially if your temps drop while you sleep. You could always get it on by 9:30, let it take smoke for a 5 hours or so then put it in the oven around 2am get some sleep, then check your temps in the morning and if you're looking tight on time wrap it and bump your temps up. I won't tell anyone

Ditto!

put it on, take a nap for a couple hours, check and refuel and repeat until it has had 4-5 hours of smoke and you are sick of waking up, and then stick it in the oven and get some sleep. Put it back on the smoke in the morning before anyone arrives and they will never know.

tnfan47
05-06-2016, 08:44 AM
I would put it on as soon as you can when you get home if you're cooking at 250. I never had any luck cooking overnight, the temp gets to high or to low when I dose off for an hour or two. The best thing you can do it stay on top of it. The oven idea that's been mentioned sounds good to me though.

Bludawg
05-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Man up if the pit is lit you need to be up never leave a fire unattended.

Tiger862
05-06-2016, 11:47 AM
BluDawg that is my exact thoughts and fears. Reason I asked is fear of having a black flame roast and no food. I was trying to convince myself if everyone has done this successfully they why can't I. Wife and I was talking and she stated I am getting to old to stay up for days as I am not young anymore. LOL I am retired and still only get 5 hrs or less and most nights is broken anyway so don't see a problem with staying up only fear is falling asleep and burning it. Any way I just took it out to defrost then season tonight to leave in fridge. I think I can do it another way and that is start tomorrow during day and take off grill-wrap-oven off-go to leave for appointment 3pm- get back between 7-8.30 pm (Hate appointments) put back on and finish. That will be approximately 4.5 hour cool down and then finish. I could get up at 4 am tomorrow and do whole process with the cool down then fridge overnight which will make it around 9 hours on grill. When I get mother's on Sunday get it in oven for couple of hours with water added and temps around 250 so it heats evenly. Just choices I have to make. Meat will be precooked this way with a slow cool down before refrigerator therefore should be safe for consumption next day. All seasonings and smoke will absorb in meat this way I won't be to tired to do rest of meal on Sunday.

mikemci
05-06-2016, 12:29 PM
If the oven is off, 4.5 hrs. in there, it will probably drop below 140* IT. Not safe. If you feel comfortable leaving the oven on at it's lowest setting, while away, the meat will stay at a safe temp.

Tiger862
05-06-2016, 12:55 PM
If the oven is off, 4.5 hrs. in there, it will probably drop below 140* IT. Not safe. If you feel comfortable leaving the oven on at it's lowest setting, while away, the meat will stay at a safe temp.

That is why I would put in Refrigerator and finish Sunday.

1buckie
05-06-2016, 01:07 PM
As the title says looks like I will have to cook a Shoulder overnight. The shoulder is 12lbs. I was going to cook on Saturday and let rest then refrigerate until Sunday cause time for eating is 12 noon. Now Saturday is booked by unforeseen events and won't be back until 8pm. So anyone cook with Kettle overnight?. I hope I will be able to sleep couple of hours then check on it. Is this possible without a wireless temp monitor or should I just stay up and then rest when meat rest? Any opinions would be appreciated. I will using the Snake method and keeping at 250.

While I can appreciate Bludawg's point about tendin of fire, I'll also ask:
Is your cooking area safe?

....I run on concrete pavers & if there's no high wind, have zero worries about letting them run overnite while sleeping.....

Six shoulders on five kettles, 10:30 PM to 7:30 AM, unattended, the dawgs wake me up when it's time to check....they just know somehow (good sense of smell, perhaps?)

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Jan29%20Danae%20%20dad%20002/Jan29Danaedad064.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Jan29%20Danae%20%20dad%20002/Jan29Danaedad061.jpg

Use the oven and/or a wrapped hold w/ foil & towels to make the timing work out right........

Tiger862
05-06-2016, 01:30 PM
I have to train my dogs better. I am still not sure but will start tomorrow one way or another. I even told wife I would set cell for 2 hours and sleep in my chair. Area is as safe as can be. I can put it on pavers which I should have thought about and set my camera on grill area so I can peek from my recliner. Roast is defrosting at this minute.

1buckie
05-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Feed them & they'll train themselves !!!

That's a lunker of a piece @ 12#.....have a great dinner !!!!

Tiger862
05-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Well decision is made or shall I say no choice. I was just advised that I have to grill Saturday for Daughter who is getting help with her problems. She wants grilled food from Daddy so I grill for her before I go visit her as she wants a plate of Pork Steaks and Baked Beans so grilling all day and sleeping at night is out. Grill Saturday and Sunday for 2 very special people in my heart. This is not going to be a sacrifice of sleep but a pleasure to do.

Tiger862
05-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Feed them & they'll train themselves !!!

That's a lunker of a piece @ 12#.....have a great dinner !!!!
They already know when I cook. They want their's first. LOL

Tiger862
05-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Getting ready for Tomorrow's cook.

Texan79423
05-07-2016, 06:52 AM
Blu Dawg. I am all about staying up and tending a fire, but..

I had an assassin pit I would load it up with lump put the meat on and walk off and leave it. That thing would cook for 18-30 hours untouched. Sleep all night if you wanted. My patio Primo pit will run untouched for 5-6 hours with out a fan. Set up a maverick and take a nap.

However my stick burner is my favorite pit. You have to tend it but that's BBQ'n. If your worried about somehow starting a fire outside the pit then you should not be cooking in that area.

Tiger862
05-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Don't know if I should start another post or continue with this one. Anyhow I got started with cleaning grill and seasoning the grill with apple chunks and Kingsford. I am just about ready for first cook. Will post updates.

IamMadMan
05-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Following your progress....

Tiger862
05-07-2016, 07:35 PM
One down. Second one on the grill. Temps are 250 grill temp. Now for a long night.

Tiger862
05-07-2016, 10:13 PM
3 hrs in and temps are never lower than 200 nor higher than 275 so it is perfect. Seems to go thru the charcoals quick thou. Internal temp of meat is 120 so a ways to go which is expected. Here are pics of what area looks like at night and roast at this time. I have a nice light on area so I don't think anyone with bad intentions will show up. LOL

Tiger862
05-08-2016, 08:25 AM
Cook went quicker than expected. Haven't sliced yet. Cooked at 250 and waited for stall but at 190 and 8 hrs let rest for 3 hours and refrigerated. Will have to reheat when we get there. I figured water in pan at 300 for couple of hours as I will check internal temp and get up to 165 hopefully and slice if it don't fall apart. Wanted slices but will see.

mikemci
05-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Good looking bark you got there. That should taste great. :thumb:

IamMadMan
05-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Looks awesome...

Tiger862
05-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Sliced perfect as well as nice smoke ring. Hit amongst everyone and picture is what is left.

m-fine
05-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Excellent! Now take a well deserved nap.