PDA

View Full Version : Adding Lump/Charcoal

Plowboy
12-27-2006, 02:26 PM
This might be a really dumb question...

When we add charcoal or lump to our Kingfisher we just toss it on top of the fire and let it light in the firebox. We only prelight in a chimney if there aren't enough coals left in the pit.

Any reason I shouldn't do this?

- Wasting fuel
- Giving an off taste (though I haven't noticed)
- Fluxing my fire by smothering it

thillin
12-27-2006, 02:51 PM
My understanding even adding in a handful of unlit briqs is fine. At least I do it. Lump is better than briqs, so you're fine. Just don't add more than what you have lit.

jpw23
12-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I've not had any problems doing that.

chad
12-27-2006, 03:03 PM
If you still have a decent coal bed - no problem at all.

I never add charcoal to my KF Gator - I just feed it more nice dry, seasoned, oak and keep on going. I used to add a lit chimney of charcoal to reestablish the coal bed - but I don't seem to have that issue any more. I guess I should add that I have a custom charcoal basket for my Kingfisher - it really helps keep the coal bed together.

Plowboy
12-27-2006, 05:11 PM
If you still have a decent coal bed - no problem at all.

I never add charcoal to my KF Gator - I just feed it more nice dry, seasoned, oak and keep on going. I used to add a lit chimney of charcoal to reestablish the coal bed - but I don't seem to have that issue any more. I guess I should add that I have a custom charcoal basket for my Kingfisher - it really helps keep the coal bed together.

I think a basket for ours would be a good idea, too.

chad
12-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Here's a couple of pics of my basket. I measured and had a local shop fabricate it. Only changes I'd make: leave out the divider as it just gets in the way - a circuitous burn of charcoal won't generate enough heat; and, make the legs about an inch higher.

I've recently run come sessions with just wood - lit off with the propane torch and I, naturally, had a whole lot less ash.

HoDeDo
12-27-2006, 07:33 PM
We roped the door, and welded angle iron in to allow the basket to slide over the ash pan. That way we dont have to drag out the entire guts to clean ash. The basket if loaded to the hilt, then hit with the torch ( or at least a hot can of coals poured on top) it will run for 4 hours without needing much tending. 3 hours in an uninsulated Gator.

Adding coals midstream has never been an issue. Lump catches very easily, and wont hurt your temps at all. Seasoned oak/hickory/pecan sticks work great also.

I'll ask Bobby if he has any charcoal baskes made - however, I'm not sure which firebox you have on your commercial.... is it the end firebox, or the side door/larger firebox?
Top or bottom pic?: www.kck.com/bbq/info/commercial_smoker.htm (http://www.kck.com/bbq/info/commercial_smoker.htm)

Brauma
12-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Chad, would it be OK to have the divider just lay in the basket? IOW, does it have to be welded in place? I have thought about making a divider for my basket that will just drop in for a long charcoal burn and then I can remove it for burning sticks.

Or, you could have 2 baskets.

Todd, my rule of thumb is: I feel free to add unlit lump anytime. I only add briqs pre-lit from a chimney (because of the nasty chemical binders - lump doesnt have the binders)

Plowboy
12-27-2006, 09:03 PM
We roped the door, and welded angle iron in to allow the basket to slide over the ash pan. That way we dont have to drag out the entire guts to clean ash. The basket if loaded to the hilt, then hit with the torch ( or at least a hot can of coals poured on top) it will run for 4 hours without needing much tending. 3 hours in an uninsulated Gator.

Adding coals midstream has never been an issue. Lump catches very easily, and wont hurt your temps at all. Seasoned oak/hickory/pecan sticks work great also.

I'll ask Bobby if he has any charcoal baskes made - however, I'm not sure which firebox you have on your commercial.... is it the end firebox, or the side door/larger firebox?
Top or bottom pic?: www.kck.com/bbq/info/commercial_smoker.htm (http://www.kck.com/bbq/info/commercial_smoker.htm)

We have the original Commercial with the door on the end.

HoDeDo
12-27-2006, 10:22 PM
He doesnt have a basket already made for that... I know he sometimes has them for the side door model. I'll ask what it takes for one, if you want. Just PM and let me know if you want me to dig anything up.

Bigmista
12-28-2006, 10:46 AM
I haven't had any problems adding lump outside of sparks. I consider that my own personal fireworks show1

chad
12-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Chad, would it be OK to have the divider just lay in the basket? IOW, does it have to be welded in place? I have thought about making a divider for my basket that will just drop in for a long charcoal burn and then I can remove it for burning sticks.

Or, you could have 2 baskets.

Todd, my rule of thumb is: I feel free to add unlit lump anytime. I only add briqs pre-lit from a chimney (because of the nasty chemical binders - lump doesnt have the binders)

You don't need the divider at all - I'm just waiting for mine to burn out since I'm too cheap to take it and have it cut out. I only use charcoal for a starting bed - I like the basket for maintaining control of the bed of coals...the divider was an experiment when I first bought the Kingfisher - but, it likes a real fire and I burn mostly oak with pecan and/or hickory when I can get it. Basically, the divider, for me, is superfluous.

You could certainly have a "drop in" divider. I think I paid something like $45 for my basket, so two would be an option.

Plowboy
12-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I haven't had any problems adding lump outside of sparks. I consider that my own personal fireworks show1

We've seen small grass fires under the firebox before.

Plowboy
12-28-2006, 11:39 AM
He doesnt have a basket already made for that... I know he sometimes has them for the side door model. I'll ask what it takes for one, if you want. Just PM and let me know if you want me to dig anything up.

I'll keep it in mind. We'll see if we keep this cooker or not first.

DeanC
12-28-2006, 12:11 PM
I'll keep it in mind. We'll see if we keep this cooker or not first.

The darkside beckons......

Plowboy
12-28-2006, 12:32 PM
The darkside beckons......

:icon_blush:

HoDeDo
12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I know that feeling.... My sponsor let me use an FEC for the 2nd 1/2 of last season. (BBQ Bonanza/Kaw Valley Companies) Pretty darn addictive. I figured it would have a steep learning curve.... but got a 6th overall, and an RGC @ Warrensburg, right out of the chute with it.

We'll see what toys they share with me this season. He's got the FEC's priced right, so I have been teetering on getting one for the deck. Then I can focus on stirring the pellets (have to pretend to do some work), instead of adding lump 1/2 way through a cook...

DeanC
12-28-2006, 02:59 PM
I checked out his website after finding the link you posted, he does have some good prices. I also saw a used one for sale in the back of the Bullsheet, I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around 1700.