PDA

View Full Version : Cooking flat only - tips?

SteveKing
04-25-2016, 11:27 AM
The wife bought a ~5# fully trimmed brisket flat the other day. I've never cooked just a flat before - always packers. Any tips or things I should know?

IamMadMan
04-25-2016, 12:15 PM
No, they cook in the same manner, cook until probe tender.

Ol'Joe
04-25-2016, 12:16 PM
I've bought the seasoned flats from Walmart before and had good luck with them, smoke them about 3 hrs, then seal in a pan, cook at about 300 for couple hrs, came out very good

Ribeye Republic
04-25-2016, 12:20 PM
I cook them the same way as a whole packer. Should take about the same amount of time as well.

KevinJ
04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
I cook them the same way as a whole packer. Should take about the same amount of time as well.What he said

Demosthenes9
04-25-2016, 01:51 PM
I cook them the same way as a whole packer. Should take about the same amount of time as well.

What he said

Yep. Don't get caught up in the "X mins per lb, this thing is taking forever" trap. When you cook a full packer, it is done when the thickest part of the flat probes tender. Therefore, the thickness of the flat is what determines the cook time, not the weight of the packer. If you completely remove the point and then hack off 1/3'rd of the flat as well, you've reduced the weight, but haven't changed the thickness of the flat. So, even though the slab of meat weighs 1/2 as much as a full packer now, it will take the same amount of time to cook

pjtexas1
04-25-2016, 03:28 PM
another vote for cook it like a packer and don't expect it to get done much quicker.