PDA

View Full Version : Dry brining a pork butt

Aceman
04-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Anyone do this? I was reading on amazing ribs to do it using kosher salt 12-24hrs before smoking. They recommend 1/2 t-spoon per lb. and to just "wet it" (after the 12+ hours) for the rub to stick, but not rinse it off.

My questions are...

Anyone do this, and if so, how's it work out?

Also, when it's in the fridge do/can/should you cover it? My wifey (and now me) have this thing about bacteria spreading in the open air.

Thanks again, Aceman

bluetang
04-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Not a dry brine per se, but salt only:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2328896&postcount=1

Thatgrimguy
04-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Anyone do this? I was reading on amazing ribs to do it using kosher salt 12-24hrs before smoking. They recommend 1/2 t-spoon per lb. and to just "wet it" (after the 12+ hours) for the rub to stick, but not rinse it off.

My questions are...

Anyone do this, and if so, how's it work out?

Also, when it's in the fridge do/can/should you cover it? My wifey (and now me) have this thing about bacteria spreading in the open air.

Thanks again, Aceman

It's much safer uncovered than covered. You harbor way more bacteria through letting the moisture stay stuck to the skin than you do by air drying. That's why commercial fridges all have wire racks.

geoff7877
04-20-2016, 09:46 AM
My fear would be ham. I do a traditional brine on butts every time and I'm super happy with the results. The dry brine is worth a shot. I'd love to see the results.

Couldn't you wrap it in plastic wrap?

ShadowDriver
04-20-2016, 09:55 AM
I've done this on a couple of turkey "crowns" in the past with good results. I've never tried a pork butt, but I'm interested to read/see how yours turns out!

RolandJT
04-20-2016, 10:52 AM
I've done a wet brine and a dry brine.

I found out that I strongly prefer no brine (just add the salt at the last minute).

That said, all 3 were good so do the experiment.

Do not cover or the effect ill not be a true dry brine.

Aceman
04-20-2016, 11:30 AM
"couldn't you wrap it in plastic wrap?" - geoff

That's a good question. Any thoughts on this?