PDA

View Full Version : Are pellet grills complete sacrilege?

steved
04-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Are pellet grills complete sacrilege?
Forgive My ignorance. I cook with a WSM. It works great for me. And My limited skills. The pellets seem like an easy or lazy way to cook the simple stuff. OPINIONS?

Burnt at Both Endz
04-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Bunch of cheaters, heck I doubt their users could even grill a hotdog without a pellet grill.:help:

Pyle's BBQ
04-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Bunch of cheaters, heck I doubt their users could even grill a hotdog without a pellet grill.:help:

Or run a restaurant.

Thatgrimguy
04-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Or run a restaurant.

Or win national bbq comps

KevinJ
04-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Whatever gets you stoked on smoking and grilling I say go for it, to each his/her own.

16Adams
04-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Heat and Meat.

I don't have one, but am going to find a CL darling one day-

SDAR
04-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Have and still own just about every type of smoker/cooker available. The blind judges seemed to like the food coming off of the pellet too. I know I do. I don't usually smoke hot dogs though.

airedale
04-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Forgive My ignorance. I cook with a WSM. It works great for me. And My limited skills. The pellets seem like an easy or lazy way to cook the simple stuff. OPINIONS? I am sure that some thought the same when automatic transmissions were introduced for cars.

And then, of course, there was Ned Ludd ...

LYU370
04-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Cal, grilling a hotdog is sacrilege! :tsk: :tsk: Hotdogs are meant to be boiled and placed in a poppy seed bun, with yellow mustard, chopped onion, neon green pickle relish, tomato, pickle spear, sport peppers and celery salt! :thumb:

And NO KETCHUP! Ever! Unless you are 5.

http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/uploads/viennabeef_graphic.jpg

landarc
04-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Actually, hot dogs are best out of a Backwoods. Unbelievable!

I'd totally own a pellet cooker if I ever opened a restaurant.

Bob C Cue
04-17-2016, 10:15 AM
According to the latest research they are only 75% sacrilege.

However I would not mind owning one.

Dweverett
04-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Just to show you all, I think I'll smoke a hot dog on the pellet grill this afternoon. Might even put ketchup on it.

To the OP, I think all of the types of grills/smokers have their place and I'm not sure they are much "easier" than an insulated vertical for instance once in use. Particularly for those that put controllers on their charcoal units. Pellets are easier to start and clean up but I don't think that would put them in the cheating category.

Gore
04-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Sacrilege, definitely, they and those farkin' rotisseries, but those are just for BBQ wannabes. Heck, that's not even real BBQ. As long as we're at it, we should put ceramics in the same category. Those farkers have much too stable a temperature control to make REAL BBQ. I put UDS's in them also. Now don't even get me started on offsets. :tsk:

Grillard
04-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Sacrilege, definitely, they and those farkin' rotisseries, but those are just for BBQ wannabes. Heck, that's not even real BBQ. As long as we're at it, we should put ceramics in the same category. Those farkers have much too stable a temperature control to make REAL BBQ. I put UDS's in them also. Now don't even get me started on offsets. :tsk:

Real pitmasters dig real pits!

Gore
04-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Real pitmasters dig real pits!

... and they don't farkin' use matches or lighters to start their fires either. They can rub two farkin' sticks together if they can't conjure up a farkin' incendio spell. Anyone who uses matches or lighters is a farkin' loser BBQ wannabe. :tsk:

Chimneys? Weedburners? or "some oil on a paper towel"? :doh: Don't even think of going there! :hand:

Pyle's BBQ
04-17-2016, 10:46 AM

So basically you don't like BBQ.

Bob C Cue
04-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Crockpots are the only true BBQ cookers IMO.

16Adams
04-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Do pellet grill use lighter fluid???no?? No memories there- move along

Pyle's BBQ
04-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Eco friendly too!

Bigbears BBQ
04-17-2016, 11:11 AM
If you cant put out good food it doesn't matter what your cooking on

Grillard
04-17-2016, 11:17 AM

Don't be a bigot. The microwave is great for that frozen pulled pork from Walmart. Some of us don't have the skills and patience that old timey crackpot cookery takes.

LYU370
04-17-2016, 11:23 AM

The 0-5-.1 method for "Fall Off The Bone"TM ribs! Important tip at 4:57... If you like that smokey taste add a bottle of liquid smoke.

Fall off the bone BBQ Ribs - YouTube

PAPA T
04-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Had one 2 weeks. Got rid of it.no different than my house oven.
lump charcoal rules.

Okie Sawbones
04-17-2016, 11:50 AM
... and they don't farkin' use matches or lighters to start their fires either. They can rub two farkin' sticks together if they can't conjure up a farkin' incendio spell. Anyone who uses matches or lighters is a farkin' loser BBQ wannabe. :tsk:

Chimneys? Weedburners? or "some oil on a paper towel"? :doh: Don't even think of going there! :hand:

Har! Texans call down the lightning!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/Randybuckner/2_zpstdahas3x.jpg

Grillard
04-17-2016, 11:51 AM
Har! Texans call down the lightning!

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/Randybuckner/2_zpstdahas3x.jpg

The old ways are the best ways.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Do pellet grill use lighter fluid???no?? No memories there- move along

Mine used hand gel and a lighter today....:doh:, I sure hope the pork chops don't smell too bad!

tom b
04-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Best hot dog I ever cooked was on my pellet grill.

Don't knock it if you have not tried it.

Gore
04-17-2016, 01:19 PM
So basically you don't like BBQ.

No, not at all, but most people are too lazy to make real BBQ. They take the easy way out, like using pellet poopers or such things. You can only make real BBQ by making your own pit, and I don't mean a farkin' UDS. If you're going to do it right, you have to mine the ore yourself to make the pit. There are just too many shortcuts. Of course, it is essential to make your own charcoal from trees that you planted yourself. Most people are too lazy and buy farkin' charcoal from the store... and then they have the nerve to call it real BBQ. They might as well cook on a pellet pooper that they didn't even make themselves using pellets that they didn't carve themselves. :tsk:

Grillard
04-17-2016, 02:08 PM
No, not at all, but most people are too lazy to make real BBQ. They take the easy way out, like using pellet poopers or such things. You can only make real BBQ by making your own pit, and I don't mean a farkin' UDS. If you're going to do it right, you have to mine the ore yourself to make the pit. There are just too many shortcuts. Of course, it is essential to make your own charcoal from trees that you planted yourself. Most people are too lazy and buy farkin' charcoal from the store... and then they have the nerve to call it real BBQ. They might as well cook on a pellet pooper that they didn't even make themselves using pellets that they didn't carve themselves. :tsk:

Kids these days... Most of them don't even have the gumption to steal the pig themselves!

SoHappy
04-17-2016, 02:15 PM

You're a joke, right?

SoHappy
04-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Or run a restaurant.

Who wants to.

SoHappy
04-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Or win national bbq comps

Another joke.

frognot
04-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Kids these days... Most of them don't even have the gumption to steal the pig themselves!

That's why Texans BBQ is beef, not pork.

You gotta get off your horse to steal a pig.

cowgirl
04-17-2016, 03:05 PM
That's why Texans BBQ is beef, not pork.

You gotta get off your horse to steal a pig.

:laugh::laugh: Thanks for the laugh Charles. :-D

Art A
04-17-2016, 03:21 PM
The are a lot of ways to get from point A to point B. A being raw meat of any persuasion and B being smoked or grilled to perfection. I bought my first WSM almost 10 yrs ago. Thanks to this forum I have improved my skill immensely the last couple years. I recently bought a Yoder pellet smoker that can produce incredible bbq. Point being it doesn't matter how you get there...just as long as the end result rocks your socks. If someone were to say the only way to produce great bbq is by a certain method....well...that is simple arrogance. It doesn't matter how you do it....just do it well.

SoHappy
04-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Had one 2 weeks. Got rid of it.no different than my house oven.
lump charcoal rules.

Then you obviously didn't know how to use it. Sorry for you.

Smoking Piney
04-17-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm pulling the trigger on a Yoder pellet smoker soon. No sacrilege at all - just another way to get to Q nirvana. :-D

Eddiecalder
04-17-2016, 04:30 PM
I'd trade my 22" WSM, Big Steel Keg, Weber Q and PBC for a shiny new Mak 2 star general. Every Cooker I own was purchased for less than 50% off though (other than the PBC).

Mak 2 Star and a OTG and I'd be set.

mjpmap
04-17-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm not even going to touch which cookers/smokers are the best, but a quarter pound all beef hot dog from Gordon's on a low and slow smoker kicks @#$%.

Seefyre
04-17-2016, 04:40 PM
I love teasing my my pellet head friends by calling their pits "smokey microwaves". Even though I personally prefer the taste and hands-on that stick burning provides, I enjoy the ease and "set it and forget it" style of outdoor cooking from time to time. The high quality pellet poopers that can reach high temps and direct grill steaks and burgers are excellent.

BillN
04-17-2016, 05:20 PM
I seriously considered a pellet grill prior to ordering my LSG. However, the brand (I wont mention) that I was considering started getting some bad reviews after they went to Chinese manufacture, so I decided to go with a stick burner. Yet I would/will not hesitate to eat Que from a pellet grill or anything else cooked on a pellet grill.

Free Mr. Tony
04-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Cal, grilling a hotdog is sacrilege! :tsk: :tsk: Hotdogs are meant to be boiled and placed in a poppy seed bun, with yellow mustard, chopped onion, neon green pickle relish, tomato, pickle spear, sport peppers and celery salt! :thumb:

It would be tough to throw a Coney to the curb, but if I had to pick just one type of dog to eat for the rest of time it would be the chicago dog. Just something about them. Love that pic.

To the OP. I have a wsm, a pellet cooker (have owned several), and an offset. For the versatility alone the pellet would be the hardest for me to get rid of. It can do everything well,especially if you get one with direct fire access. If you run a clean fire in your cookers, it's really not that night and day difference between cookers that people say. Many will disagree, but I've put very similar food out on all types of smokers.

Okie Sawbones
04-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Tomatoes on a hot dog?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/Randybuckner/2_zps36cpcgyl.jpg

Free Mr. Tony
04-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Tomatoes on a hot dog?

Got to admit, that pic made me laugh. Ever had a Chicago dog?

Okie Sawbones
04-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Got to admit, that pic made me laugh. Ever had a Chicago dog?

Many moons ago...

LYU370
04-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Tomatoes on a hot dog?

That's as close as you are allowed to get to ketchup. :becky:

Sammy_Shuford
04-17-2016, 08:15 PM
OH, a sinner doomed to hell!

But these sure were good!

KevinJ
04-17-2016, 09:41 PM
OH, a sinner doomed to hell!

But these sure were good!

Come on Sammy you know you cook those on the Kettle, fess up :-P

Leftwngr
04-17-2016, 10:52 PM
Pellet grills have their place. I enjoyed my Rec Tec and as time went on I just enjoyed it less. I got more into things like fire management and varying my smoke types.

I also got away from electric gadgetry during cooks which further lessened my use of it.

I don't cook commercially, but if I did, I think pellets are a great option. Fast, good result, little mess, and easily controlled.

Not sacrilege by any means, just different. My personal definition of a "pitmaster" is of someone who can manage a fire and manipulate it to maintain an optimal cooking environment. There are varying degrees to this of course and all involve knowing your cooker. As easy as pellet grills are, you still have to learn to use it to maximize it. It may not be as advanced as a cinder block pit burning logs, but it still requires skill.

If you have the desire, means, space, and approval to do so... get it and add to the stable of cookers. Just another fun tool.

TailGateJoecom
04-18-2016, 12:33 AM

ppfffftttt, those Vienna Beef hot dogs are so bad that midwesterners are forced to throw a whole salad bar on top of them. It's impossible to even taste that hot dog under all that noise.

This is how a hot dog is meant to be cooked and served up, courtesy of Katz's

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55d91200e4b047d23d3aad32/55ea4a9de4b0c6e365242722/55ea4c60e4b0c6e365248d6d/1441418336125/kac_110908_phude_katz_hot_dog_2_600.jpg?format=ori ginal

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/55d91200e4b047d23d3aad32/55ea4a9de4b0c6e365242722/55ea4c5fe4b0c6e365248d5a/1441418335549/kac_110908_phude_katz_hot_dog_grill_600.jpg?format =original

Al Czervik
04-18-2016, 08:09 AM
I'm not even going to touch which cookers/smokers are the best, but a quarter pound all beef hot dog from Gorden's on a low and slow smoker kicks @#$%.

How did you manage an invite to this ultra exclusive culinary mecca? I've tried everything thing including dropping the Ninja card and still can't get a sniff... :tsk:

4ever3
04-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Forgive My ignorance. I cook with a WSM. It works great for me. And My limited skills. The pellets seem like an easy or lazy way to cook the simple stuff. OPINIONS?

Yes they are!!

No they aren't!!

Wait! What do I care?

I see no point in one personally, or the blowers for that matter, but that's me. Cook with liquid smoke in a crock pot if you want, it's up to you. The "real" definition of BBQ is different for everyone, kind of like the definition of being "broke." If Bill Gates went broke tomorrow and looked at me and said "Here, you take what's left!" I would feel like I hit the lottery!

Yendor
04-18-2016, 11:49 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/58374972.jpg

TheCougarGuy
04-18-2016, 12:09 PM
I don't think it is. Cook on whatever you like. If you like the results, that's all that matters.

cpw
04-18-2016, 12:18 PM
I'd say only about 25% sacrilege, but the convenience sure makes up for it. I've owned or own a UDS, 2 backwoods, an Akorn, a Lang, and 2 gravity fed charcoal smokers, and now a Green Mountain. I love the heck out of the GMG, and have probably used it more in the last 4 months than the entire year I had one of the backwoods. Plug it in, turn it on, and in 15 minutes I'm ready to grill or smoke whatever I feel like.

STLBBQer
04-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Nope. Just one more weapon in the arsenal. I sure loved playing with my kids in the yard yesterday while the smell of mesquite pellets and short ribs wafted through the air...

Grillard
04-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Yes they are!!

No they aren't!!

Wait! What do I care?

I see no point in one personally, or the blowers for that matter, but that's me. Cook with liquid smoke in a crock pot if you want, it's up to you. The "real" definition of BBQ is different for everyone, kind of like the definition of being "broke." If Bill Gates went broke tomorrow and looked at me and said "Here, you take what's left!" I would feel like I hit the lottery!

That's exactly what I would have said if I wasn't busy making stupid jokes!

geoff7877
04-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Two guys at work have traegers and love them. I'm all for cooking with whatever makes you happy but when they started talking about controlling them with remotes and iPhone apps I stopped listening.

My preference is to cook without gas assist or electricity. Wood, fire, food. That's what makes me happy. Building a fire and managing it.

Fillmore Farmer
04-19-2016, 01:19 AM
You guys got it all wrong.....

Pellet cookers definitely have their place. I have mine installed inline with my HVAC system. Now I can remotely use my cell phone to turn it on & off so when I arrive home I can walk into a nice hickory smoke fragrance. As an air freshener you just can't beat the simplicity of loading which woody fragrance you like best and then letting it fill your home, cabin or workshop with that nice woodsy smell.

Traeger's look really nice next to the Easy-Bake over in your child's playroom.

Fillmore Farmer
04-19-2016, 01:24 AM
You know the toughest part of owning a pellet smoker?......telling your parents and friends your

:cop:

Never mind, that's going too far, even for me....:heh:

LYU370
04-19-2016, 01:38 AM
Have used a Weber, stick burner, electric and now an FEC. Not really a pellet grill, but a pellet smoker. Wish I would have bought one years earlier. Now I know why they win competitions.

That said, I was waiting to see what the new Weber was going to be. I wish Weber had announced it a week earlier, I could have been a Kamado Joe owner by now. Now I need to see where the next Costco Kamado Joe roadshow is going to be.

NCGrimbo
04-19-2016, 10:00 AM
I've gone from this:
http://www.prepperforums.net/forum/attachments/diy/11180d1432311828-diy-flowerpot-smoker-uploadfromtaptalk1432311826455.jpg

to this:
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/images/models/1000/8433-1.jpg

to this (the red one is size I used):
http://www.2fatpolocksbbq.com/webimages/spice13.jpg

and now I use this:
http://www.yodersmokers.com/images/products/ys640_01.jpg

Some are easier to use, some require more attention, but they all produce great BBQ. So, I think it's the pit master, not the equipment that makes a difference.

And I do enjoy sleeping through the night when smoking a 14lb brisket at 225 instead of getting up every 2 or 3 hours to check the fuel on the stick burners I've owned. :biggrin1:

Rockinar
04-19-2016, 01:06 PM
The new Yoder crock pot when used with liquid smoke is the best cooker out there. That's how my grandpa use to do it back in the day.

DjPorkchop
04-19-2016, 01:23 PM
Im not predjudiced towards cookers. If you can cook good food on a stick burner, weber anything, cheapo charcoal grill from wally world, its all good as long as the food is good. Who cares what it is cooked on.

I dare that one guy to say he would turn down an awesome rack of ribs because they were cooked on a pellet pooper. You turn your back and he would be off and running in to the closet with them in a second.

SoHappy
04-19-2016, 01:31 PM
You guys got it all wrong.....

Pellet cookers definitely have their place. I have mine installed inline with my HVAC system. Now I can remotely use my cell phone to turn it on & off so when I arrive home I can walk into a nice hickory smoke fragrance. As an air freshener you just can't beat the simplicity of loading which woody fragrance you like best and then letting it fill your home, cabin or workshop with that nice woodsy smell.

Traeger's look really nice next to the Easy-Bake over in your child's playroom.

Not impressed.

SoHappy
04-19-2016, 01:32 PM
You know the toughest part of owning a pellet smoker?......telling your parents and friends your

:cop:

Never mind, that's going too far, even for me....:heh:

Why stop now. Continue to impress yourself.

STLBBQer
04-19-2016, 01:35 PM
The new Yoder crock pot when used with liquid smoke is the best cooker out there. That's how my grandpa use to do it back in the day.

Personally, my Grandpa would've laughed at any kind of smoking machine or anything that made it easier to BBQ, including something that plugged in with a fan to help burn wood splits. If it wasn't a handmade brick pit, he didn't have a need for it.

zanna5910
04-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Times change, get on board or get left in the dust. In a battle of Indian or Arrow, I think its the Indian that makes the food great.

In 50 years there is going to be a thread like this 'Is this bbq laser sacrilege?' and someone is going to be like 'Yes, use a pellet smoker like the good ole days' and then SmittyJr will say 'Do they make a vertical bbq laser?' and then the thread will die.

Jorge
04-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Times change, get on board or get left in the dust. In a battle of Indian or Arrow, I think its the Indian that makes the food great.

In 50 years there is going to be a thread like this 'Is this bbq laser sacrilege?' and someone is going to be like 'Yes, use a pellet smoker like the good ole days' and then SmittyJr will say 'Do they make a vertical bbq laser?' and then the thread will die.

Just put a bunch of flashlights in an old drum.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Just put a bunch of flashlights in an old drum.

Star Wars: Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader vs Darth Sidious - YouTube

STLBBQer
04-19-2016, 03:44 PM
I've often wondered if pellet grills would be better received if they were more inefficient, required the feeding of pellets every 30-45 minutes, and resulted in over-smoked meat if you weren't careful. That seems to be the division.

BBQchef33
04-19-2016, 04:17 PM
You're a joke, right?

Another joke.

Who wants to.

Then you obviously didn't know how to use it. Sorry for you.

Recognizing that everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion, if your opinion comes across as antagonistic, bad karma, insulting or hurtful to another member, or person, keep it to yourself. Any meaningless post that is nothing more than a negative comment or is strictly there to antagonize, will be edited or deleted. Any post with no redeeming quality or deemed negative by moderators will be deleted. In other words, you are NOT allowed to be a jerk just to chit stir or piss people off. Understanding the fine line between friendly jabs or wise cracks, and obnoxious comments, use discretion. Moderators do not have time to be putting out flame wars.

:mod:

landarc
04-19-2016, 04:26 PM
It has a lot to do with people who have worked to learn a craft and feel that their knowledge is compromised by a tool that makes an aspect of their craft less important. Just as there are many BBQ cooks who will either not share their craft, or worse, mislead beginning cooks, in order to feed their own need to protect their knowledge.

Forellan
04-19-2016, 11:39 PM
For me it is a question of time. A pellet pooper allows me the ability to enjoy the passion of preparing good food and sharing this with family and friends while still making time with my kids a priority. I fully intend to master an offset smoker when things slow down and I have more free time. Things do slow down, right?

sfrancis353
04-20-2016, 05:52 AM
I almost went with a pellet pooper, but instead decided to spend the extra money and go with a gravity fed. I use a fan controller, so it's basically set and forget also. Main reason I did what I did was:

A) The gravity fed ones seem to be heavily insulated and therefore weather isn't going to be much of a factor
B) The main complaint I hear (whether true or not) is that on some poopers, people don't get much of a smoke characteristic in their meat.
C) I don't have to rely on electricity. Yes I use a fan controller, but if I were to not have power it would be easy enough to just play with the ball valve until I got the temp I wanted. One of my big fears was doing a comp, have one of the electrical components go kaput and be up the creek without a paddle.

That being said, I don't think there is such thing as cheating in BBQ. There is a constant race to build the better mousetrap and this will continue (can't wait for those friggin laser beams, I'm sure Franklin is working on one as we speak). The two main goals are: producing quality eats and having fun in the process.

jestridge
04-20-2016, 08:21 AM
One step at a time, I just start using charcoal

NickTheGreat
04-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Complete posers. If you aren't smoking with a hole in the ground and chunks of wood, you're just a hack.

I mean, charcoal? Too lazy to burn your wood down to coals yourself???

landarc
04-20-2016, 10:44 AM
For me it is a question of time. A pellet pooper allows me the ability to enjoy the passion of preparing good food and sharing this with family and friends while still making time with my kids a priority. I fully intend to master an offset smoker when things slow down and I have more free time. Things do slow down, right?

No, they speed up once you get to a certain age. It's all downhill. Fast. :shocked:

jestridge
04-20-2016, 12:42 PM
when I was a younger man, I burn my coals down , but not much anymore, but still cook with wood, when Ii get too old for that, my bbq days will end, yes there is a difference cooking with wood

Yendor
04-20-2016, 01:07 PM
So WOOD pellets aren't made of wood? I'm cornfused.

Yendor
04-20-2016, 01:32 PM
And I know at least half of you would eat these. They were cooked on a pellet pooper.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Lou_zerr/3_31_121095.jpg

The other half would request that they get some without sauce.

chefman316
04-20-2016, 01:54 PM
We use a combination of a Backwoods Competitor, Rec Tec Pellet, and Weber Kettle...they all have advantages and disadvantages, but its more about doing what you can with what you got..

4ever3
04-20-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't care what they were cooked on, or if they're wet or dry Yendor, just pass the plate this way please!

gtr
04-20-2016, 02:21 PM
I dig my pits with my hands - shovels are for wimps. And you gotta bite the jugular of whatever animal it is you want to cook - no knives, guns, etc. you losers!

Gotta go and start preparing dinner - I got the chick from "Quest for Fire" coming over tonight. :thumb:

Pitmaster T
04-20-2016, 02:22 PM
No, electrics are.

Al_T
04-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Having a pellet smoker has allowed me to continue cooking BBQ. I'm at a stage in my life that I cannot afford the time to tend a stick burner. What I found out the food that comes off of my Yoder is every bit as good as it came off my old stick burner. In the end BBQ is about good meat, with appropriate spices, cooked at the proper temperature till the meat reaches proper temperature and donness with a good quality wood fire, and it always comes out good. It does not matter if the wood was a pellet or a piece of raw wood. Too many people make great food with a pellet smoker for it to be sacrilege or not Real BBQ.

landarc
04-20-2016, 04:26 PM
I dig my pits with my hands - shovels are for wimps. And you gotta bite the jugular of whatever animal it is you want to cook - no knives, guns, etc. you losers!

Gotta go and start preparing dinner - I got the chick from "Quest for Fire" coming over tonight. :thumb:

No pics, didn't happen!

I mean it. And not of you!

gtr
04-20-2016, 05:34 PM
No pics, didn't happen!

I mean it. And not of you!

She's a little more of a Goth chick than I remember her being - but then again I was smoking opium that night (talk about low n slow...:wacko:)

http://media.tumblr.com/b7b27bd30600421f78aecafd6c1b52e3/tumblr_inline_mryiex1atl1qz4rgp.jpg

I do remember she was a pioneer with positions though. :thumb:

Porcine Aviator
04-20-2016, 06:08 PM
I am always entertained by these pellet discussions, having used a pellet smoker for about ten years.

Pellet smokers will not produce the "woody" smoke flavor that is produced by a stick burner for a very simple reason: The combustion in a pellet smoker is produced in a very different way than in any natural wood burning system. Sawdust, whether in pellet form or otherwise, will not burn in an efficient and clean manner without supercharging. The originators of pellet stoves for home heating performed an extensive amount of experimenting to produce the system we use today in the smoker version. I am somewhat familiar with these experiments. The thrust of their effort was to comply with EPA emission requirements. The result is-- while good for home heat stoves-- the removal all the good constituents we want in BBQ smoke.

Even if you light pellets in an auxiliary smoke generator, like the Smoke Daddy, you must inject air to create cleaner smoke.

This is why the one thing that is universal in all pellet stoves is a combustion fan. The fan creates a bellows affect that forces the pellets to burn, but at temperature gradients that are much higher than normally aspirated wood. Without the fan, there would be copious amounts of creosote and very little heat. There is a little more to the story but that's for another day. In other words, the pellet does not burn as normal wood does and because of the elevated temperatures created, constituent flavor gases are virtually removed.

If you don't believe this statement, try disconnecting the combustion fan on a pellet stove and watch what happens. I like my pellet unit but it simply cannot duplicate the results of a properly run stick burner.