PDA

View Full Version : Why were Apple wood chunks the most expensive?

zymguy
04-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Was in the Menards today for woodchunks and apple were a couple dollars more than Mesquite and Hickory ???? Why?

Blythewood BBQ'er
04-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Western Wood says that they are harder to get and less wood available so that is why their's are more expensive.

BBQ Freak
04-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Apple wood is more rare because people want apples every year and do not want to cut them down for smoking .

4ever3
04-11-2016, 08:29 PM
They are slower growers and as freak said, they're grown for their fruit which it produces every year, it only produces smoking work once.

RolandJT
04-11-2016, 08:42 PM
See if there are any orchards in your area. Offer some ribs to the owners in exchange for wood trimmings.

I have 2 apples and a huge maple in my yard and the trimmings/prunings off just these and a couple of my neighbors huge maples go a long way.

I know several brethren have mentioned finding local orchard owners in various posts.

zymguy
04-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I have access to lots of property with maple, so that will prob be my primary wood.
I guess i was looking at it wrong, my thinking was apple can grow here , the other to had to travel alot further

BBQ Freak
04-11-2016, 09:40 PM
to bad you did not live closer and I would sell you some at a very fair price , my neighbor has a apple orchard and he wants me to cut five trees down but the only time he does let me is when they are dying and not producing anymore . he thought the soil he had was killing them but last year I was cutting one up and about a thousand ants poured out of it , lol .