PDA

View Full Version : $1.84 lb enhanced ribs from Walmart

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Going to put the Smithfield ribs I got from Wallyworld for $1.84 lb on the pellet pooper and give them a try. They look good out of the packet.

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Here they are rubbed down

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 02:00 PM
And on the GMG JB set at 275

Chitown_hillbilly
04-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Our Wally world just started carrying the Smithfields. There's a Tyson plant 100 miles down I80 and usually they have Tyson pork products. I'll probably cook a couple racks next weekend. Good luck with your cook.

Ribeye Republic
04-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Were those marked "enhanced"? I haven't been able to find any ribs at WW that aren't "enhanced".

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 02:10 PM
They were but for the price I will give them a shot

cheez59
04-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Good luck on the Wally ribs. You might like them but I sure didn't.

Bludawg
04-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Maybe it's the lighting but those Ribs are almost the same shade of red as the ham I have dry curing:shock:

16Adams
04-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Google "enhanced ribs". There's nothing evil about enhancement. If you brine or inject anything you're enhancing. Of course it would be nice to always have a choice- sometimes you do sometimes you don't. Smithfield brand took the place of Farmland brand. I don't know who bought who. $1.84--stock up and smoke

16Adams
04-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Maybe it's the lighting but those Ribs are almost the same shade of red as the ham I have dry curing:shock:

I'm going to plagiarize this and use it on my BGE uppity friends

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 03:03 PM
They were nice and pink, no different than ribs from the butcher you can tell how dark the foil came out in the pic that there was low light, in the second and third pics they have rub applied and are red.

cpw
04-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Those are the same ribs that Big Poppa and Shake N' Bake have been using on the comp circuit with great results.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Those are the same ribs that Big Poppa and Shake N' Bake have been using on the comp circuit with great results.

Stop it.....:-P

Burnt at Both Endz
04-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Smithfield brand took the place of Farmland brand. I don't know who bought who.

Not 100% sure, but I think"Tyson" owns, Farmland,Smithfield,Excel,Swift,and IBP :shock:

Bludawg
04-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Last I knew Excel was part of Cargill. IBP was bought by Tyson back in 07

Burnt at Both Endz
04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Last I knew Excel was part of Cargill. IBP was bought by Tyson back in 07

Them Excel stamped briskets at RD comes out of a Tyson box.

CakeM1x
04-11-2016, 03:40 PM
GFS have non enhanced 2 packs of spares for $1.99-2.19/lb everyday price.

cpw
04-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Stop it.....:-P

I'm serious...! if they're the "extra tender" ribs from walmart, that's what Big Poppa has been saying he started using this year.

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 03:56 PM
They are the extra tender and I just looked on their Facebook page and they have the Smithfield logo on it. Like I said I will give them a try if they are good I will buy some more if not back to Costco and RD.

Right on Q
04-11-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm serious...! if they're the "extra tender" ribs from walmart, that's what Big Poppa has been saying he started using this year.

:oops::doh:

GreenDrake
04-11-2016, 04:14 PM
I grabbed a couple packs of these just this weekend and did a silly little video on them. Honestly, these are pretty legit ribs. I think the enhanced lends to a little more salty finish so go light on the saltier rubs, but they turned out fantastic, for just goofing around and having fun trying them out. Here's the video
https://replayapp.com/v/8A2PcWEJdq/

MrGreenJeans
04-11-2016, 04:21 PM
The few times I have smoked them the results were too "Hammy".

PaPaQ
04-11-2016, 04:36 PM
The few times I have smoked them the results were too "Hammy".

Try this,

Do not rub until you put them on the grill and cut back on the salt.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-11-2016, 04:48 PM
I would at least look for some that had marbling in them, if I was to use them.....
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/FAQp8e.jpg

IamMadMan
04-11-2016, 04:52 PM
They are the extra tender and I just looked on their Facebook page and they have the Smithfield logo on it. Like I said I will give them a try if they are good I will buy some more if not back to Costco and RD.

If they have the Smithfield logo they also have phosphates for tenderness which isn't a bad thing, they use it in Brisket all the time. I've used them and you can't beat them for the price.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ms4As7Ga0Ow/VYbRiY-ughI/AAAAAAAADiI/hdd8_MoloZ8/s1600/smithfield%2Brib%2Bdirections.jpg

bgw99
04-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Bludawg's right sil works at cargill

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Pulling them off now, they got away from me a bit and a little darker than I would have liked

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 05:36 PM
She's not the prettiest but we will see how she taste shortly. Got done about 45 min quicker than I was expecting.

Bigbears BBQ
04-11-2016, 07:18 PM
They were fall of the bone and cooked a little more than I would have preferred but my daughter and wife loved them. As far as the hammy taste I did not experience that at all. Next time I will trim them down to St Louie's and put them on at 225. They were only on for 3 hrs and 28 min at 275

toymaster
04-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think"Tyson" owns, Farmland,Smithfield,Excel,Swift,and IBP :shock:

Smithfield Foods was acquired by a Chinese company in September 2013. Smithfield Foods is the world's largest hog farmer and pork processor. The hogs will still be raised here, but slaughtered and packaged for sale there before being sent back here. Probably one of the reasons why they are "enhanced"

dadsr4
04-11-2016, 08:13 PM
I used to stop at my local Save A Lot store for whole spares because they always carried the Farmland brand. All of a sudden, all they carried were Smithfield brand, so I bought them. Not the same quality at all. I complained and was told that that was what the got in. I now buy my ribs at Gorden Foods or Meijers. When my time and enjoyment are figured in, Smithfield ribs are not worth buying.

RolandJT
04-11-2016, 08:38 PM
I have used Wally ribs at <$2 and local heiritage Iowa ribs at $4.5.

I enjoyed both. (Definitely liked the more expensive ones better, but maybe not twice as much)

3Cases
04-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Smithfield Foods was acquired by a Chinese company in September 2013. Smithfield Foods is the world's largest hog farmer and pork processor. The hogs will still be raised here, but slaughtered and packaged for sale there before being sent back here. Probably one of the reasons why they are "enhanced"

You are correct that Smithfield was purchased by a Chinese company in 2013. But the idea of shipping hogs to China to be slaughtered and then shipping the meat back to the US is inaccurate.

That was an Internet rumor started by people who were upset that the larger producer of pork in the US (selling under the names Smithfield, Eckrich, Farmland, Armour, John Morrell, Kretschmar, Curly's, Carando, Cook's, Margherita, Gwaltney, and Healthy Ones) would sell out to a Chinese company.

It has worked out for all parties though. The company's stock went up, they hired more people, and China has a better supply of pork.

If there was an idea of making money by slaughtering the hogs outside of the US, it would make more sense to send it to Mexico and then back to the States. But that isn't happening either.

As for the "Enhanced" ribs... I have tried them a couple times. I thought they were a bit salty so I adjusted the rub. Came out just as good as the others I normally get. Seemed to cook a bit faster though.

JRDINCC
04-11-2016, 11:14 PM
My local Sam's Club just switched over to Smithfield pork loins. The old packaging use to say "Born Raised & Harvested in the USA. Now it only says Born in the USA. I left without buying anything.

hogzillas
04-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Only thing I hate about enhanced ribs/butts is that they can come out hammy at times & if you've a rub that's salty only makes it worse.

ichbin73
04-12-2016, 08:23 AM
The idea of shipping hogs to china to butcher defies all common sense. Sounds like a story made up by an anti group or a competitor. I used to get the hammy effect with ribs until I quit rubbing them hours before or overnight. Now I rub and immediately put on the cooker. Much better flavor profile.

NickTheGreat
04-12-2016, 09:24 AM
I'm not a rib expert by any means, but I've had some enhanced ribs turn out fantastic. And some turn out 'hammy.' But I like ham, so that wasn't hardly a bad thing!!! :wacko:

Fire Flinger
04-12-2016, 01:09 PM
I think most of this list has been covered but maybe not:
Excel = Cargill
Farmland aka Smithfield = Chinese Shuanghui Holdings
Swift = JBS S.A. (A Brazilian company)
IBP = Tyson

Nice discussion. I bought a few singleton Tyson baby backs from WM when P Poor Prior Planning struck and liked them. Then it was suddenly the Smithfield's in an unfamiliar package. Good to know that they generally get Brethren approval.

iamuzzyhunter
04-12-2016, 02:43 PM
I work at a Smithfield formerly Farmland pork plant. All the hogs we slaughter here are born and raised in the USA. It is also processed here as well.

16Adams
04-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Smithfield formerly Farmland St Louis cut spares I cooked yesterday. Wife has now had them three meals in a row. People want organic and have access- good. People like or don't mind enhanced- good. Peeps want both--still good.

To me, and don't pattern yourself after me- it's all about the smoke and the beer.

Bigbears BBQ
04-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Bought the leftover bones to work and gave them to my coworker / test dummy he said he preferred these over the others I have bought in to work both Cosco and RD mostly because they were fall off the bone and I usually make them bite through said taste was the same. I would buy them again for sure, they cooked a little fast 3 hrs 25 min at 275 But taste was spot on.

Grillard
04-12-2016, 04:12 PM
I think most of this list has been covered but maybe not:
Excel = Cargill
Farmland aka Smithfield = Chinese Shuanghui Holdings
Swift = JBS S.A. (A Brazilian company)
IBP = Tyson

And of course they all belong to Weyland-Yutani.

:grin:

Burnt at Both Endz
04-12-2016, 07:32 PM

:gossip:

Fire Flinger
04-12-2016, 09:06 PM

Right on! :clap2:

RubLover
04-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Hmmm - since they are already brined, would a brine in say KosmosQ Pork Soak be too much salt? The KosmosQ pork soak has many other flavors and I like to use it on RD ribs. Of course the answer most likely is "try it and see..."