PDA

View Full Version : Best thermometer

MI Smoke
04-10-2016, 05:24 PM
I am done with Maverick, their probes suck 😫
Looking for suggestions?
I am willing to spend a few $$$, but it needs to last and be accurate.

geoff7877
04-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I stopped using probe thermometers all together. The probe wires are WAY to brittle. I use an instant read for anything low and slow. I'll pop it in when I'm spritzing.

Stingerhook
04-10-2016, 05:39 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto

ChrisH
04-10-2016, 06:05 PM
I just ordered an open box Thermoworks ThermoQ and a couple of probes for $160 shipped. I got their regular smokehouse penetration probe as it was half price, but they also sell an armored probe that is indestructible.

Their probes are spendy, but they make top notch equipment. I have my fingers crossed that they will be releasing a wifi based system, and was waiting patiently for that. Then they sent me the email with their open box specials and I couldn't wait. If and when a new system comes out, I will wait for a good deal and get that.

Their type K probes are interchangeable which is cool.

Ribeye Republic
04-10-2016, 07:51 PM
I just ordered a cyber q.

Towen7
04-10-2016, 08:56 PM
+1 for Thermoworks

Queencity
04-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Thermoworks therma here, steakhouse probes, using for about a year now and wouldnt have it any other way. Costs a couples bucks but well worth it!!

YearRound
04-10-2016, 11:05 PM
another vote for just about anything from thermoworks!

BBQ Freak
04-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Tappecue and it works perfect .

Leftwngr
04-10-2016, 11:51 PM
I have the older version of the thermaQ. I have a bunch of probes too that have been beat to hell and back that still work well. The needle probe is faster than my thermapen.

The chamber probe is pushing its last legs, but it still works fine.

I also have a few leave in probes and needle probe. The mini handheld seems to be my fave because it is small and magnetic.

Thermoworks makes quality stuff. I recently stocked up on thermopops during that sale. I give them as gifts to friends who are getting into bbq and keep one for when I travel.

zymguy
04-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Tappecue and it works perfect .
thats pretty interesting. Does it require much tech savvy ?

BBQ Freak
04-11-2016, 12:05 AM
thats pretty interesting. Does it require much tech savvy ?

it is very easy to use and it works off wifi so if I go into town and the pit drops in temp for the limit I set and I call and tell the wife to add a stick of wood to the pit till I get back but you do haft to have a android type phone .

tom b
04-11-2016, 12:13 AM
my therma pop is all i trust now

zymguy
04-11-2016, 12:17 AM
it is very easy to use and it works off wifi so if I go into town and the pit drops in temp for the limit I set and I call and tell the wife to add a stick of wood to the pit till I get back but you do haft to have a android type phone .

the amazon description claims apple software is available ?

mrjamessaitta
06-28-2019, 03:42 AM
In 2019, here are the 6 great thermometers (https://www.bbqqueens.com/best-high-end-meat-thermometer/) for you: https://www.bbqqueens.com/best-bbq-smoker-thermometers/

Ruck816
06-28-2019, 10:50 AM
I use a fireboard. It's awesome!

ArtBQ
06-28-2019, 02:53 PM
I got screwed by Maverick way too many times. On one cook I got so pissed at its inaccuracy that I threw it over my fence into the woods.

I now own a Thermaworks Smoke and a Thermaworks MK4. They are both worth the investment and will never let you down. My Smoke unit has taken quite a beating and one of the probe ports stopped working properly. Their customer service was amazing. Repaired the unit for $25 and sent it back to me very quickly.

The new Signals unit is very interesting, but pricey. Word on the street is that they have a stoker fan coming out sometime this summer that will attach to the Signals unit, so I am think that's going to on my Christmas wish list this year!

Rockinar
06-28-2019, 03:23 PM
Looking for suggestions?

Wireless, unlimited probes.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2eg738y.jpg

arclite
06-28-2019, 03:43 PM
I stopped using probe thermometers all together. The probe wires are WAY to brittle. I use an instant read for anything low and slow.

I also stopped using probes thermometers, unless I'm doing an overnight and want to get some sleep... which almost never happens.

A Thermapen is your best friend.

Nomamm
06-29-2019, 12:38 AM
Thermapen and FireBoard. It’s a great mix

Happy Hapgood
06-29-2019, 12:58 AM
Love my Thermapen for steaks and other high heat cooks and Ink Bird for smokes. Not Wi-Fi but Bluetooth with nice free phone app.

Ruck816
07-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Thermapen and FireBoard. Itís a great mix

I already had a Fireboard. My MK4 just got delivered today.

SmokinJohn
07-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Looking for suggestions?

Thermapen. British Racing Green. Fastest one they make.