PDA

View Full Version : Minion Method with Lump

yoursangoma
04-08-2016, 03:00 PM
I built my UDS last year and ran Kingsford charcoal all year. Decided to give lump a try this year. Went with RO and loved the smell/flavor that it put off during and after the cook. Only problem was that my temp would drop every so often until I hit the drum to get the lump to settle again. Did I do something wrong in the set up of my basket? Is there some way to pack the lump in there so I don't have to kick the drum every couple of hours? How much lump should I be starting at the beginning?

krex1010
04-08-2016, 03:05 PM
I've noticed what you have, and I think it's due to the inconsistent size and shape of lump...lately I've been mixing briquettes in with the lump, maybe a 50/50 mix and I like the way my wsm has been running. I know some folks are against using briquettes but I find a combo works for me.

Harbormaster
04-08-2016, 04:10 PM
You may want to try "packing" the lump into your charcoal basket. You want as few air gaps as possible when using lump. This will help to keep the lit lump in contact with the not yet but soon to be burning lump.

When I ran lump in my WSMs I had to pack it in as well.

Teleking
04-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Never had any issues just filling the basket with lump.

NightRogue
04-08-2016, 05:24 PM
I used lump in my UDS last weekend, and didn't have any issues. I packed them pretty evenly with hickory chunks.

RolandJT
04-09-2016, 11:37 AM
You may want to try "packing" the lump into your charcoal basket. You want as few air gaps as possible when using lump. This will help to keep the lit lump in contact with the not yet but soon to be burning lump.

When I ran lump in my WSMs I had to pack it in as well.

Instead of kicking the drum during the cook, put your lump in the basket, give a couple of kicks to get it to settle, rearrange to fill in the biggest hole, and pour some more in. A couple of repeats before you start cooking should get it packed in like Harbormaster suggests.

Blownmope
04-09-2016, 01:32 PM
I used to go thru the lump and break it to get it close to the same size then pack it, dont dump the dust or the really small stuff in, it kills the fire.