PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Wine Pairing Chart

Ron_L
04-07-2016, 06:47 PM
I found this interesting. While I enjoy wine I don't really think of having it with BBQ.

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/bbq-wine-pairing-chart-infographic/

On warm days and nights, there is nothing quite like a backyard BBQ. The smells of charcoal, smoke and meat cooking over an open flame are some of the most iconic scents of summer. But a great backyard BBQ would not be complete without great wine to wash down all the food. To help you take your BBQ to the next level, we’ve selected five of the most popular wine varietals out there, and paired them with some of the most popular BBQ dishes.

Don’t see your favorite BBQ dish on the list? Not to worry. Consider the dishes we chose as a guide that can help you in your selection. So, if you’re a fan of a dish such as shrimp on the barbie, simply select one of the wine choices we gave for lobster, as both are crustaceans. And, if you want to learn more about each wine we chose, we have a link to our Wine 101 about each below the infographic.

http://vinepair.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/wine-pairings-for-bbq.png

Clay-b-que
04-07-2016, 06:52 PM
That's way too complicated. It just needs to come out of a box if you are BBQ-ing!!!

Ron_L
04-07-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that all of those wines are available in boxes :-D

Grillard
04-07-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm not a big wine snob myself, but when you see the words "chilled Pino noir" you're dealing with an idiot, a lunatic, or a communist.

With that said, I think the best wine for most q is beer.

Ron_L
04-07-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm not a big wine snob myself, but when you see the words "chilled Pino noir" you're dealing with an idiot, a lunatic, or a communist.

That was the first thing I noticed, too :-D

Bob C Cue
04-07-2016, 07:02 PM

With that said, I think the best wine for most q is beer.

I'm not a wine expert but in my opinion:

As with most red wines, Pinot Noir is ideally served at slightly cooler than room temperature. It is a myth that red wines should be served at room temperature, which is too warm. Lighter bodied reds, such as Pinot Noir, are best served at about 55F.

You can store the Pinot Noir in a wine refrigerator at the same temperature, which helps the wine extend its longevity. If you store your Pinot Noir at room temperature, you can cool it to the appropriate temperature with two hours in the refrigerator, 15 minutes in the freezer, or five minutes in ice and water.

Don't overcool, or you will lose the subtler aspects of the wine. One of the reasons that traditional wineglasses have stems is to help you to maintain the appropriate temperature as you drink the wine. If you hold the glass by the bowl, your hand can warm up the temperature of the wine. Instead, hold the wine by the stem. If you are using stemless glasses, don't hold the wine in your hand. Instead, only pick it up when you take a sip of wine. Many manufacturers, such as Reidel, make wine glasses designed especially to enhance your enjoyment of Pinot Noir.

Champagne and blanc de noirs, which also contain Pinot Noir, should be served at between 43F and 48F. As with Pinot Noir glasses, hold Champagne glasses by the stem.

Ok, I confess I ripped this off from this site (http://wine.lovetoknow.com/wine-beginners/best-temperature-serve-pinot-noir-wine).

angryelfFan
04-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Wine snob checking in. :-P

Chilled red wine does not mean chilled as much as a white or sparkling wine. Red wines do actually taste better a little under room temperature. I am talking 60-65F. 10-15 minutes in the freezer will do it. No if you are taking it out of your 55F wine cellar you are about ready to go. You can notice the difference imho.

Bob C Que beat me to it, and a much better post at that:clap2:

cats49er
04-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Where does my Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill,and Night Train fall in there.And we must not forget Orange Driver.

SeenRed
04-07-2016, 07:20 PM
I think the best wine for most q is beer.

Amen brother...preach it!

Red

Grillard
04-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Wine snob checking in. :-P

Chilled red wine does not mean chilled as much as a white or sparkling wine. Red wines do actually taste better a little under room temperature. I am talking 60-65F. 10-15 minutes in the freezer will do it. No if you are taking it out of your 55F wine cellar you are about ready to go. You can notice the difference imho.

Bob C Que beat me to it, and a much better post at that:clap2:

Giving this sone thought, I Might be with you at 65 degrees. I'll give it a try.

But Bob is just showing off. ;):mrgreen:

tish
04-07-2016, 07:30 PM
I usually prefer a beer with my bbq, but occasionally I like some wine. I always drink wine with non-Q meals. This chart was interesting.

Jason TQ
04-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Yeah reds that are not cabs go with everything I'm eating. Even when a white pairing seems like the better option I like reds. Trader joes has some magical stuff

cats49er
04-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Can anyone tell what goes well with a big old fatty or some ABT's?And wings fall under the same heading as beer can chicken?

AClarke44
04-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Why isn't pinot grigio or cabernet sauvignon or merlot on the list??

Grillard
04-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Can anyone tell what goes well with a big old fatty or some ABT's?And wings fall under the same heading as beer can chicken?

Dos Equiis.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-07-2016, 07:54 PM
<sigh>.....I call Bull Chit on that pairing chart, a fine chilled Oaky Chardonnay goes with all that stuff, just sayin'.

fnjay
04-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Cisco? Maddog 20/20? Those reds?:-D

Cool chart though

cheez59
04-07-2016, 08:11 PM
In the immortal words of one of the greatest cooks of all time, Justin Wilson, "drink what you like with whatever food you are eating."

Cool chart for folks who don't know what they like though.

Happy Hapgood
04-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Where is Jug and Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill? :noidea:

rookiedad
04-07-2016, 08:21 PM
sweet tea... in a wine glass.

Okie Sawbones
04-07-2016, 08:32 PM
I used to be really big into wine. Scaled it back quite a bit. But I can tell you folks in Argentina love their BBQ, and their Malbec is a perfect match with heavier BBQ dishes. One of the better Malbec producers with bottlings under $25 is Trapiche. Give it a go some time.

Gersidi
04-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Nothing beats brisket with a little boxed baby duck sparkling rose wine heated up in the microwave to a simmer, and then drank from a kids sippie cup through a plastic twisty straw. Be careful when pouring because baby duck can stain overalls and chest hair.

Happy Hapgood
04-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Nothing beats brisket with a little boxed baby duck sparkling rose wine heated up in the microwave to a simmer, and then drank from a kids sippie cup through a plastic twisty straw. Be careful when pouring because baby duck can stain overalls and chest hair.

Welocme. Your going to fit right in here. :-D

BillN
04-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Thanks for posting, can't have beer anymore :sad: but can and do drink reds.

tom b
04-07-2016, 11:05 PM

farkin hillarious

kfdvm
04-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Pinot Grigio and Zinfandel are my favorite for a good q.

Rusty Kettle
04-07-2016, 11:23 PM
I like mead. Specifically strawberry jalapeno mead. My friend's recipe and it's only problem is he doesn't stop the fermentation so sometimes it explodes when you open it up and makes the whole house smell like booze. Its good just very volatile. Behind that a bottle of good old Rolling Rock makes me a happy camper.

Maylar
04-08-2016, 01:19 PM

Hard cider. Not the cloyingly sweet crap like Angry Orchard, I mean real home made cider. The cider I make is about 6.5% and semi sweet and it goes with absolutely anything BBQ. Cold and bubbly and yum.

For dinner, I like Merlot but out on the patio in the summer it's always cider.

dadsr4
04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
http://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/photo/F1k8k8AihcWlJQEdwGuZrg/l.jpg

Smoking Piney
04-08-2016, 01:52 PM
My wife and I are wine drinkers, but to me, Q calls for a well chilled beer or a good bourbon.

SmokinCW
04-08-2016, 02:32 PM

Now you made laugh out loud at work! The boss may suspect something :shock:

Bludawg
04-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Irish Rose pairs with everything that Night Train don't both are best sipped from the bottle.

capnkrusty
04-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Pinot Grigio and Zinfandel are my favorite for a good q.

I agree. Zinfandel should be on that list.

Smith's Pig Pen
04-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Just here in the Napa Valley alone, you could taste 100 different cabs, chardonnays, pinots and all the others on your vacation and not even be scratching the surface. Ive been been on an endless summer of BBQ and wine for more than 20 years.... And it's still awesome. I cook it, drink it, live it and never get enough. I've talked a lot of Q and wine pairings over the years with fellow foodies and brothers in smoke. Those charts are for tourists.

The best way for anyone wanting to explore this is to drink some really good stuff- site and varietal authentic, really well made wines with a good meal. Go big with the wine or don't do it. You can definitely find value wines but you're much better off $65 on a bottle of Caymus Napa Valley Cab then one of those often seen "leftover label productions with all that blah-blah-blah on the back. Really good wine says nothing on the back. I put 100 bucks in my pocket and let it rip. Sometimes that's 2 really nice wines and other times it's just one big daddy red or not quite enough. Dont be afraid to the local geeks and wine buyers....ask "what's the best" red, cab, sin, syrah (whatever) and you almost always get an honest answer.

There is some good, cheap stuff out there too. There's a Cab from here in CA that's dynamite for the money: Daou 2013. Parker rated it 90 points- Got it for 19 bucks. Had it with dry ribs and tritip... Sublime. Bought all I could get my hands on. Took the wife to Ruth's Chris last week and it was on the wine list for $85. For all que meats as well as sauced, Syrah, Zin, petite Sirah and Aussie Shiraz all go really well. Really nice cab loves brisket.

If I can help- shout any time

Bill-Chicago
04-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks Smith's Pig Pen,

I'm always up for trying a good Cab.

I've been on a bit of a Malbec and blended red kick lately.

Have you tried "Scaia Corvina" 2012? Nice smokey oak note on a good Italian red

chingador
04-08-2016, 04:15 PM
I don't worry about food/wine pairings too much. I normally drink a bottle of cabernet while the meat is on the pit. It goes just fine with sausage, boudain, stuffed jalepenos or whatever cooks snacks i have on the pit. Beyond that, drink what you like. Eat what you like. Life is too short to be douchy about wine pairings.

RolandJT
04-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Whoever made the chart really likes Provencal Rose and really doesn't like Cava.

That's about all I got out of it.

I usually drink beer or bourbon cooking/eating/cleaning up from BBQ.

When I do drink wine--I agree with whoever said that (red) Zinfandel is a great BBQ wine

Smith's Pig Pen
04-09-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks Bill- I'll be on the look for it. Couple mentions on Zinfandel.. There's a bunch of those 10-20$ range (pretty much duds). Zin should be rowdy, high in alcohol and should be like a berry pie and s'more being smashed in your face. It's the anti snob wine out here. Here are some reliables... Starting about 30 bucks:

Rombauer
Seghesio (they have a 15$ one but look for "Home Ranch or "Cortina)
Hendry Block 7&22
Robert Biale
Michael David (Earthquake is ok, but get "Lust or "Gluttony)
--------------------Heavy Duty Stuff-$$$$---Area51---
Turley
Lamborn
Outpost
Martinelli

Porcine Aviator
04-09-2016, 02:49 PM
I am with the beer guys on this-- can't beat it-- except some peaty single malt scotch doesn't hurt ( Lagavlin).

BUT, I bet you would like some fruity Pinot, it's a natural with pork. Trader Joe's sells a real sleeper for $6.99 that kicks the crap out of the Napa copy cats. Big and Bold. I would never pay $35 for a Napa want-to-be.

It's Maximilian, SKU #20666, and although the Germans are not known for their reds, this stuff is very close to the real thing: Burgundy.

Prost