PDA

View Full Version : CSR's - How do you do them?

THoey1963
04-06-2016, 07:12 PM
I was looking for something different to smoke and saw some Country Style Ribs. Thought I'd never done those. I know they are basically a pork but cut into long, thick slices. But, how do you do them. Marinade or brine? As far as rubs go, we like spicy, so I was thinking Slap Ya Mama, as HDD might be too much for pork. And, I might even sauce them. <GASP> Doing these Friday with some pasta salad, so plenty of time.

So, what's your favorite way? Pictures always appreciated.

Fwismoker
04-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Terry just check for sure if they're from the loin or the shoulder...check the package or post a pic

THoey1963
04-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Actually, from the Butt according to the sticker. Looking at them now, they were a little pricey. Should have just bought a butt and sliced them myself. But they do look nice and marbeled...

Fwismoker
04-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Anyway Terry the shoulder cut I like to cook like butts but take to probe tender and the loin cut CSR's I cook hotter and faster but not much past 145-150 (direct heat)

Q Junkie
04-06-2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah, that sticker says grill for 35 minutes. That is not what I would do. Like Fwismoker said. The cuts from the shoulder will take longer to get them to render and loosen up. The cut from the loin I could see grilling for 35 minutes. I have been using the sous vide lately for both types but the shoulder cuts take a lot longer.

Bludawg
04-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Pork Burnt Ends
cut 'em into 1-2" chunks skewer 'em rub 'em heavy cook 2 hrs at 275 pull the skewers pan the nuggets add more rub & sauce cook 'em to squishy. Pile high on a cheap white bun cramp it in yer pie hole and grin like a mule eatin briar's.

THoey1963
04-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Interesting Dawg...

Joe Black
04-06-2016, 09:07 PM
I rub them and put them on the grate at 250-275* for about 3 hours or until probe tender. Then I put them in a foil pan with a braise of 1/2 sauce and 1/2 apple juice. I use enough to get about half way up the ribs. Cover the pan with foil and back on the smoker to braise for about an hour. They turn out very tender and tasty.

cheez59
04-06-2016, 09:21 PM
This is how I do mine and they are awesome.

Mods feel free to remove the link if it is wrong of me to post it.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2012/09/st-louis-pork-steaks.html

Bob C Cue
04-06-2016, 09:41 PM
This is how I do mine and they are awesome.

Mods feel free to remove the link if it is wrong of me to post it.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2012/09/st-louis-pork-steaks.html

That's how many of us do it in St. Louis. Oh, so tasty!

mchar69
04-06-2016, 11:23 PM
I will say I did them with pineapple chunks between, and
DO NOT DO THIS. Iamadman has the chemistry for this and it did not work at all.
I like Bludawg's idea, you go to 160 ish or more.
I've smoked 2 butt's, at 160, I pulled one - cubed, sauced one while letting the other go. Threw the cubes into a small foil pan w/ rub and sauce, move it around, and foiled all.
A little off the flame.
Excellent +10.

THoey1963
04-06-2016, 11:56 PM
John, that recipe looks good. I will say I was kinda wanting to smoke these, not grill them. Want to play with the new toy (cabinet)...

But, I did save the recipe. We'll see if something else catches my eye...

Fwismoker
04-06-2016, 11:58 PM
John, that recipe looks good. I will say I was kinda wanting to smoke these, not grill them. Want to play with the new toy (cabinet)...

Absolutely! You can always give them a quick sear after the smoke too Terry.

THoey1963
04-07-2016, 12:02 AM
So, brown them, smoke them, braise them, and then sear them? :confused:

Fwismoker
04-07-2016, 12:15 AM
So, brown them, smoke them, braise them, and then sear them? :confused: No need to brown.

I prefer grilling/smoking from a distance but if I was going to straight smoke them indirect then yea finish with the sear. That slightly crunchy outside texture adds sooo much flavor.

DjPorkchop
04-07-2016, 12:22 AM
Pork Burnt Ends
cut 'em into 1-2" chunks skewer 'em rub 'em heavy cook 2 hrs at 275 pull the skewers pan the nuggets add more rub & sauce cook 'em to squishy. Pile high on a cheap white bun cramp it in yer pie hole and grin like a mule eatin briar's.

Pretty much how I do CSR as well. I usually do the pan thing until the get squishy in the sauce and toss them back over the heat for a few to set the sauce a little.

cheez59
04-07-2016, 06:03 AM

I completely understand and you know I do.:biggrin1:

Just do them like PSB. Smoke 'em to 160ish and then pan them with the beer and cook until squishy.

Bludawg
04-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Pretty much how I do CSR as well. I usually do the pan thing until the get squishy in the sauce and toss them back over the heat for a few to set the sauce a little. I drizzle 'em I don't braze 'em

Wesman61
04-07-2016, 11:13 AM
I go about it a different way. When I do Hawaiian plate lunch style cooks I grill huli huli chicken and put CSR in the crock pot with NOH brand kalua seasoning salt. It has a subtle smoke flavor like luau pig. Turns out great. My daughter is getting married Friday and I'm making Hawaiian plate lunch fare today for a lot of the guests. I'll post pics later.

THoey1963
04-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Thanks Wes, but again, I want to smoke these on my new cabinet.

I think I will smoke on the cabinet, then, if I don't get a bark on it, move to the gasser to sear. I plan to glaze with Stubb's spicy thinned with beer. New smoker seems to like 250*ish. Any idea about how long these should take? Just need to plan my start time to eat around 4 pm.

No brine needed? I don't normally brine butts, so I don't think so, but better to ask.

Wesman61
04-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks Wes, but again, I want to smoke these on my new cabinet.

I think I will smoke on the cabinet, then, if I don't get a bark on it, move to the gasser to sear. I plan to glaze with Stubb's spicy thinned with beer. New smoker seems to like 250*ish. Any idea about how long these should take? Just need to plan my start time to eat around 4 pm.

No brine needed? I don't normally brine butts, so I don't think so, but better to ask.

Sorry missed that part lol. I dont usually cook CSR on a grill so I'm not too sure about cook time. Good luck on the cook!

SmittyJonz
04-07-2016, 01:57 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3263955

SmittyJonz
04-07-2016, 01:59 PM
I prefer Loin Cut CSR rubbed with PlowBoys Yardbird then glazed at end with Sweet Baby Rays

THoey1963
04-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Thanks Smitty!

1911Ron
04-07-2016, 04:08 PM
I cut them up and smoked them till doneish take them off and put into a pan sauce them and finish them basically pork burnt ends, they are delicious!:biggrin1: