PDA

View Full Version : Thermapen by ThermoWorks?

Ag76
12-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Have any of you guys tried the Thermapen by ThermoWorks? If so, how did you like it? Is there a better brand? This one looks good to me, but I thought I would get some opinions before investing in it.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

The Original
Super-Fast Thermapen
Read temperature in less than 4 seconds!
Fold away probe protects from breakage.
Wide range covers -58°F to 572°F.
Accuracy meets USDA guidelines in the food range.
Includes certificate with actual test data to prove your unit’s accuracy.
Big easy-to-read digits are far easier to read than other pocket thermometers.
Originally designed for professional users, the Super-Fast Thermapen is chosen by restaurant chains, health inspectors, quality managers and chefs all over the world. The clever pocket design replaces more costly and bulky handheld thermometers while using the same professional thermocouple technology. The Super-Fast Thermapen displays actual internal food or liquid temperatures in only 3 or 4 seconds. Other thermometers make you wait another 20 seconds or more to catch up to the Thermapen. That’s a huge difference in a fast paced commercial kitchen or when you’re over a hot grill. If you’re cooking an expensive cut of meat you want a perfect outcome. You don’t want a slow temperature reading that might be misinterpreted and your meat overcooked.

The reduced-diameter needle tip of the Super-Fast model only requires about 1/8” immersion so you can take the temperature of even thin burger patties. And, you’ll only leave a tiny, self-closing hole in your steak instead of the gaping “juice-drain” left by “digital BBQ forks” or the old dial-type meat thermometers.

The Thermapen automatically comes on when you unfold the probe and it shuts off when you close it for storage. An auto-off feature will save your battery if you leave the probe open over 6 minutes. Each unit includes a battery, a wrist-strap and a certificate of calibration with actual test data to show your unit’s accuracy at two temperatures.

Specifications
Range: -58°F to 572°F (-50°C to 300°C)*
Resolution: 1° C or F*
Accuracy: ±1% ±1 digit
Battery: 12 volt MN21 - 100 hours
Sensor: Type K Thermocouple
Display: 0.5" (12.7mm) LCD
Dimensions: 0.75" x 1.85" x 6" (19 x 47 x 153mm)
Weight: 3.1oz (87 grams)
*Order °C or °F. Units are not switchable.

To Order:

Super-Fast Thermapens
211-076 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F Gray -58…572F $85.00
Y-211-076 Special! 5 Super-Fast Thermapens + 1 Free Unit
(Gray color only) -58…572F $425.00
211-176 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F White -58…572F $85.00
211-276 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F Yellow -58…572F $85.00
211-376 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F Green -58…572F $85.00
211-476 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F Red -58…572F $85.00
211-576 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F Blue -58…572F $85.00
211-676 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F Brown -58…572F $85.00
211-776 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F Black -58…572F $85.00
211-876 Super-Fast Thermapen, °F Orange -58…572F $85.00
211-075 Super-Fast Thermapen, °C Gray (Celsius) -50…300C $85.00

Optional Accessories
10203 Wall Mount Holding Bracket $12.00
830-110 Thermapen Wallet, Vinyl belt pouch to store and protect your Thermapen $7.00
839-250 Replacement Thermapen Battery MN21 12V $3.00
836-022 Mini Tub, 2.75" x 5" wipe, single tub of 70 wipes $5.00
836-052 Large Tub, 5" x 5" wipe, single tub of 200 wipes $9.00

Protective Wallet
(830-110)
Plastic wall-mount holding bracket (10203)
Don't forget the anti-bacterial wipes
(836-022 shown) more info

Don’t take our word for it!
See what others say about the Thermapen in books, magazines, product reviews, forums and blogs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions about the Thermapen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probe folds out for use and completely away to prevent damage.

Choose a color!

The Super-Fast Thermapen - Certified by NSF in 2006

Get an affordable infrared thermometer specially designed for use with food

Original Oven Thermometer & Timer Only $19!

DeanC
12-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Best thermo I have ever bought, love it. I have one in the garage and one in the kitchen. The company is also great to deal with. I left one out in the rain and they replaced it.

YankeeBBQ
12-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Great tool buy it you'll like it

brian j
12-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Best thermo I have ever bought, love it. I have one in the garage and one in the kitchen. The company is also great to deal with. I left one out in the rain and they replaced it.
ditto. great thermometer.

MilitantSquatter
12-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Highly recommended. Used by many of us.

You can also use the search tool for Thermopen to see past discussions and reviews. I don't recall anyone having any major gripes with them.

TygerSmokes
12-22-2006, 09:30 AM
The Thermopen is great! Just make sure you close it before you place it in your back pocket. (not that it's ever happened to me...):lol:

voodoobbqIL
12-22-2006, 09:36 AM
it's the one to have in my opinion

bbqbull
12-22-2006, 10:01 AM
I have one and use the heck out of it. Its used when I bake chicken for our local parks winter month fund raisers.

nancee
12-22-2006, 10:02 AM
excellent service too. our 1st one was bad and they sent me an advance replacement fed x at no charge
nancee

it's the one to have in my opinion

qman
12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Yep, the Thermopen is the benchmark by which all the rest are judged.

Ron_L
12-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Mine is yellow. Makes it easy to find in the drawer with all of the other thermometers that I never use anymore!

Dean... I left mine in the rain, too, but I tried the same thing I use on other small electronics that get wet (yes, I leave stuff in the rain a lot, or i drop my cell phone in the river, etc.). I took out the battery and set it on the heating vent for three days. When I put the battery back in, it worked perfectly!

qman
12-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Mine is yellow. Makes it easy to find in the drawer with all of the other thermometers that I never use anymore!

Dean... I left mine in the rain, too, but I tried the same thing I use on other small electronics that get wet (yes, I leave stuff in the rain a lot, or i drop my cell phone in the river, etc.). I took out the battery and set it on the heating vent for three days. When I put the battery back in, it worked perfectly!

Great minds, Ron. Mine is yellow also. Does make it easy to find. Also makes it easy to spot and retrieve so it does not stay out overnight. :redface:

nmayeux
12-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I want one, but I think I just recieved my Christmas present on Monday! ;)

we'll smoke u
12-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I need to get one of these my self. I have not heard anything bad about them.I have used friends of mine and the quality seems to be top notch.

DeanC
12-22-2006, 10:00 PM

Good lesson for next time, thanks. I have a yellow one as well but still catch myself leaving it on the bbq table. I'm not sure but it may have something to do with my beverage choice. I found out tonight that my red one is missing altogether. My dumba#! may have lost it at the Chiefs game.

cmcadams
12-22-2006, 11:03 PM
I use mine for as the final say in temps... I even use it for bread to make sure it's done.

SmokeInDaEye
12-22-2006, 11:09 PM
I asked for one for Christmas. Can we collectively keep our fingers crossed that someone listened to me?

Bossmanbbq
12-22-2006, 11:30 PM
I love mine, dont know what I would do with out it, I have a gray one, bought mine over the summer and asked for mercy later with the bosslady...:mrgreen:

qman
12-23-2006, 08:04 AM
I use mine for as the final say in temps... I even use it for bread to make sure it's done.

I have been baking pound cakes every day this week, and using my thermopen for final test of done-ness too

SP
12-23-2006, 09:03 AM
I asked for a second for Christmas. One in my comp gear and one for everyday home use. They are the (insert favorite adjective ex. the bomb)
If you take stock in what Americas Test Kitchen says them you know they are the best for the money.

djmarko
12-23-2006, 09:33 AM
It's the best investment in cooking tools I ever made. I use it for everything, even deep frying.

Kevin
12-23-2006, 09:39 AM
I love mine, dont know what I would do with out it, I have a gray one, bought mine over the summer and asked for mercy later with the bosslady...:mrgreen:

I've found that it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Ag76
12-23-2006, 11:00 AM
I see that Kevin has been married for a while. He has it figured out. :-)

Norcoredneck
12-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Will let you know after Christmas, intercepted package delivered to the door. My wife loves me! (sometimes, no Spicewine yet).:lol:

scottyd
12-23-2006, 01:22 PM
is there a way to recalibrate these things?

Ag76
12-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Went to Linens 'N Things today to buy a Thermapen. They don't carry them, so I just ordered one online from the ThermoWorks website.

quad150db
12-24-2006, 03:39 AM
I am really hoping santa brings me one this year...

Kevin
12-24-2006, 04:18 AM
is there a way to recalibrate these things?
Yep. A quick google turned up with this document. You can also send it in to ThermWorks and for $35.00 they will calibrate it and provide an NIST traceable calibration certificate. If you use the thermo in a professional setting or are ISO registered, this would be valuable.

scottyd
12-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Yep. A quick google turned up with this document. You can also send it in to ThermWorks and for $35.00 they will calibrate it and provide an NIST traceable calibration certificate. If you use the thermo in a professional setting or are ISO registered, this would be valuable.

We have to recalibrate every week according to our HACCP program and USDA insp. these are nice but don't work for us in our day to day operations. But for everything else they are great, I bought a few for the plant to try them out but with out the option of being able to adjust the calibration we can not use them. 1 degreee off is still 1 degree off.

I love it for BBQ. I even got one today for christmas from the wife. so I am happy.

thanks kevin

sterlingsmoker
12-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Wife says I have to wait till my birthday:-D

lazyjacres
12-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Great Thermometer. I don't leave home with out it...........

The_Kapn
12-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Great Thermometer. I don't leave home with out it...........

Absolutely!
I brought mine to Brother-In-Law's house here in Austin.
He cooks a turkey in a roaster with cheap remote stuck in it.
Reads 165 and he starts to pull it.
"Just a minute--Let me play with my new ThermoPen".
130-135 all over the bird :twisted:
Disaster (or at least embarassment) averted.

He is ordering a ThermoPen for himself :lol:

Great tool!

TIM

Plowboy
12-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Mine didn't show up in time for Christmas because of the storm in Denver.

thillin
12-26-2006, 08:15 AM
I've used mine for just about anything in the past year. Would be without one anymore.

chad
12-26-2006, 08:19 AM
I just got a Thermopen for Christmas...I'd mentioned liking them many months ago while perusing the King Arthur Flower catalog (great catalog, by the way). Thankfully, my spouse "takes notes" during the year!!

I've wanted one for a while, but the cost always put a damper on my enthusiasm!!

Ag76
12-26-2006, 10:02 AM
We have to recalibrate every week according to our HACCP program and USDA insp. these are nice but don't work for us in our day to day operations. But for everything else they are great, I bought a few for the plant to try them out but with out the option of being able to adjust the calibration we can not use them. 1 degreee off is still 1 degree off.

I love it for BBQ. I even got one today for christmas from the wife. so I am happy.

thanks kevin

Scott:

Click on the link Kevin provided in the post above yours. It shows how to recalibrate the Thermapen.

nmayeux
12-26-2006, 05:45 PM
If you want an endorsement for this thing, you should have watched good eats last night. Alton used it over and over, and had a different color for each setting. Red, grey, and orange. Makes me envious!

SmokeInDaEye
12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Got a red one for Christmas. Haven't had time to cook anything but just walk around the house checking temps. "How cold do you think your cereal is?" "How warm you think a cat's butt is?"

scottyd
12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Scott:

Click on the link Kevin provided in the post above yours. It shows how to recalibrate the Thermapen.

I did that and printed a copy of it, works great, our USDA insp says we can now use the thermapens as we have to recalubrate every week.

Plowboy
12-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Got a red one for Christmas. Haven't had time to cook anything but just walk around the house checking temps. "How cold do you think your cereal is?" "How warm you think a cat's butt is?"

Speaking of cats...

http://www.stuffonmycat.com/

I'm not a cat lover, but this site is pretty funny.

Norcoredneck
12-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Got my Thermopen for Christmas, was sticking it in everthing without a pulse and bragging. My brother-inlaw works for Costco running their bakery dept. Of course the one he uses is way better than my "TOY". Later my sister asked my wife where she got it because her husband really wants one. Since I pulled up the website for my wife when she ordered it she did not know the name so she asked me. I wrote it down and gave it to my sister. Here it is (link not for true bretheren, just know it all relatives);
http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2255956 :mrgreen: .

chad
12-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Got my Thermopen for Christmas, was sticking it in everthing without a pulse and bragging. My brother-inlaw works for Costco running their bakery dept. Of course the one he uses is way better than my "TOY". Later my sister asked my wife where she got it because her husband really wants one. Since I pulled up the website for my wife when she ordered it she did not know the name so she asked me. I wrote it down and gave it to my sister. Here it is (link not for true bretheren, just know it all relatives);
http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2255956 :mrgreen: .

I got news for your b-i-l, Themopens are used in a LOT of bakeries. The thin probe is desired to avoid poking large holes in the crust. He probably uses the remote type with the control head clipped on his farkin' lapel...kinda like the key-rings for "management".:mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist!!:wink:

Plowboy
12-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Just found this Thermapen with different style probes. Even one for surface temp.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/thermapen_3_7.html