PDA

View Full Version : A "new" type of cast iron?

THoey1963
03-25-2016, 04:25 PM
I was torn between posting this in one of the other threads, but didn't want to derail their topic. Mods let me know if this should be moved or added to another thread.

Got my monthly update from the Meater Project and at the bottom, they had a link to another Kickstarter project for a new cast iron pan. I really want to get a couple cast iron pans, but the only thing stopping me is that the wife won't use (or want to move) a really heavy pan. Looks like these guys have come up with a good design. Watching it for now...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/field-company/the-field-skillet-lighter-smoother-cast-iron

Pyle's BBQ
03-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

cowgirl
03-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Lighter weight would be nice. Hope they are sturdy too. Thanks for the link Terry!

Norm
03-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing.

16Adams
03-25-2016, 04:46 PM
That is pretty. I am pretty much done except for obtaining gifting pieces. There is another company I think Australia making really nice pieces. Lodge has come out with a dishwasher safe line (or is about to)

My next project is going to get a new Lodge skillet, strip their pre season off to bare metal,and start over with flaxseed oil.

In my spare time :-))

NightRogue
03-25-2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info and link

lantern
03-25-2016, 06:10 PM
I jumped on it. A slick number 8 makes a perfect amount of cornbread for two.:heh:

Thanks for the heads up!

Okie Sawbones
03-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Interesting.

Happy Hapgood
03-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Oh Lord! 16Adams has already seen it! :doh: It's on! :becky:

16Adams
03-25-2016, 07:14 PM
I jumped on it. A slick number 8 makes a perfect amount of cornbread for two.:heh:

Thanks for the heads up!

Im out with rattleserpents. I've got a pretty good Iphone signal, but did not see how to aquire the#8. I am looking at a rattlesnake den with a 5-6 foot shed which is really cool.

Decoy205
03-25-2016, 07:15 PM
It's amazing how much work it takes to produce something "the old fashioned way" with some modern upgrades. I hope they can pull it off. I think I'd be a buyer.

lantern
03-25-2016, 08:45 PM
Im out with rattleserpents. I've got a pretty good Iphone signal, but did not see how to aquire the#8. I am looking at a rattlesnake den with a 5-6 foot shed which is really cool.

Sorry. I was just going off what size they said the field skillet was. I picked the package that's 90 bucks plus 10 for shipping. 100 total. Says that I'm in for their forth run.

They have some more expensive packages with multiple pans that are for earlier runs.

sknabnoj
04-04-2016, 10:20 PM
For those who love cooking with cast iron check out this Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/field-company/the-field-skillet-lighter-smoother-cast-iron

Looks great... It's new cast iron with the vintage feel and quality. I hate when I find these awesome kickstarters late but, I thought I'd share with the brethren in case anyone else wanted to jump on with me.

CT-Mike
04-05-2016, 02:25 AM
I officially hate you. I've spent more money due to this place and eggheadforum.com.

Sopchoppy
04-05-2016, 05:56 AM
I jumped in a week or so ago. A couple for my 2 sons who love to cook and one for their ole man who'd rather cook than eat and opts for cast iron as first choice. Scheduled to ship in July.

STLBBQer
04-05-2016, 10:39 AM
I have a ton of Lodge, but got my first carbon steel/black steel pan recently (Matfer Bourgeat 14"). It's pretty great. Gets hotter faster and can really put awesome crust on a steak. Weighs about half as much as a similar CI pan.

Histrix
04-05-2016, 11:49 AM
I have a ton of Lodge, but got my first carbon steel/black steel pan recently (Matfer Bourgeat 14"). It's pretty great. Gets hotter faster and can really put awesome crust on a steak. Weighs about half as much as a similar CI pan.

Cast iron skillets have their place of course but I really do prefer carbon steel pans for most uses.

I bought a couple of the Australian SOLIDTECKNICS' AUS-ION pans a few months ago and absolutely love them.

Okie Sawbones
04-05-2016, 12:49 PM

Does it hold the heat like Lodge, STL?

Firby13
04-05-2016, 02:20 PM
I had a Wagner 10" that was thin and smooth like that.
Was my favorite pan.
Used to pop on the electric stove on high for about 30 seconds, then shut off the burner and leave it to dry after washing.
One day something distracted me and I warped the hell out of it.:mmph:

1MoreFord
04-05-2016, 07:19 PM

Not enough mass for the heat sink effect. Not necessarily a bad thing as if you over heat one it will cool down faster.:wink:

STLBBQer
04-05-2016, 09:12 PM

It def holds heat, but nothing is like CI for retaining that heat. I've had to watch my heat because the carbon steel goes from warm to ass-searing temp in a blink. CI is more gradual.