PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Cut Chunks From Splits

Faston
03-23-2016, 10:42 AM
I have found that I can maintain much better temp control using chunks rather than full splits, probably due to the size of my smoker. I have been using a Harbor Freight miter to make chunks from splits but find it very dangerous. Last time I had a split get sucked up by the saw blade, stop the saw instantly and shear the teeth off the drive motor completely. I now have a new miter saw but am apprehensive to use it to make chunks. I also have a gas chain saw that I could use but have not come up with a safe method to hold the split while cutting chunks. What methods do you folks use to cut chunks from splits that you consider to be safe. I love my fingers!! :) Thanks!!

krex1010
03-23-2016, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure how you get your wood, but it's much easier and safer to cut unsplit rounds down to 4" lengths and then split these down to chunks. Otherwise I use a mitre saw for thin splits and for bigger splits I'll split them smaller with a maul and then mitre them or I'll use a chainsaw and stand on one end and make partial cuts from the end down towards the side I'm standing on, I don't cut all the way through, then flip it over and finish the cuts to make your chunks, the chunk that was under my foot is always longer but then I'll usually use a maul to chunk it down if I want.

Faston
03-23-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure how you get your wood, but it's much easier and safer to cut unsplit rounds down to 4" lengths and then split these down to chunks. Otherwise I use a mitre saw for thin splits and for bigger splits I'll split them smaller with a maul and then mitre them or I'll use a chainsaw and stand on one end and make partial cuts from the end down towards the side I'm standing on, I don't cut all the way through, then flip it over and finish the cuts to make your chunks, the chunk that was under my foot is always longer but then I'll usually use a maul to chunk it down if I want.

Thanks! I've been buying splits and maybe I should be buying rounds. Guess I should be looking at the Harbor Freight log splitters. I need wood right now so good opportunity to try rounds. Don't mind extra work at all as long as it's safer.

krex1010
03-23-2016, 11:23 AM
You can probably get a better price buy just getting some logs delivered, which you can then use a chainsaw to cut into small rounds and then chunk them up as needed....just know that unsplit wood, even firewood length rounds takes a loooooooong time to season, 4 or 5" rounds should season quickly though.

Twisted T's Q
03-23-2016, 11:29 AM
don't mean to get off point here but what is the problem running splits threw the brazo ? pit run to hot on splits ?

brimclau
03-23-2016, 11:43 AM
I use a chop saw (Harbor Freight) with just a 10" blade. I split them 1st to no larger than 3-4" in diameter, then cut in half on the saw. I have had it suck the split back up into the saw if I try to go too fast.

Just use a slow, steady descend with the saw into the log and it should be fine. Also make sure you have a decent blade installed.

Simp
03-23-2016, 11:44 AM
I get my oak in rounds . I have a friend who cuts trees. So we often trade a cook or two for wood. I usually take a 10 in round and cut into 4in sections and split into chunks with an ax not hard work at all

jrichv
03-23-2016, 01:14 PM
I use my oldest blade on a table saw. I cut them into 4-6" pieces in one or two passes and can then easily split them (if needed) with a hatchet. I can also use my miter saw at that point if more cutting is needed.

TheTeZ
03-23-2016, 03:30 PM
A table saw with a miter guage isn't a bad idea. But I generally cut them up on a miter saw. It isn't the safest, I whacked My finger real good with a stuck peice once. Not fun, but no real harm. I've started getting rounds, chop them pretty thin then with a hatchet break them up

Okie Sawbones
03-23-2016, 04:41 PM
Chop saw does the trick.

SoHappy
03-23-2016, 04:46 PM
You might want to try this. It will hold the split by itself between the "jaws". I have one and use it to cut small chunks. They also make a battery powered unit.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag126/spfd/alligator_zpsdxu243sw.jpg

Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Alligator-6-in-4-5-Amp-Electric-Lopper-LP1000/100465076

jwtseng
03-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Why not just make smaller splits? I use a HF log splitter for big splits and small rounds, then to make kindling and smaller splits for finer temp control I use this:

Amazon.com : Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41r94Q1GDIL.@@AMEPARAM@@41r94Q1GDIL

This and a rubber mallet keeps my axe/hatchet sharp and all ten fingers happy.

guero_gordo
03-23-2016, 05:44 PM
Maybe I'm missing the scale of what you're doing, but a hand pruning/bow saw will crank out quite a few fast enough and without the risks of FEM.

scrub puller
03-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Yair . . .

I sometimes take things for granted and don't realise how blessed I am.

At the moment I probably have twenty tons of trees pushed down just by my house . . . I'm just cutting them up to burn them and have a general tidy up.

The bit I set aside for winter wood or charcoal is cut into eight inch lengths with a chainsaw and then split with an axe.

Cheers.

revkab
03-23-2016, 09:19 PM
If ya got to cut the splits down to length with a chop saw, do yourself a huge favor - make an auxiliary fence outa a piece of scrap wood. Clamp it on good and snug, then carefully lower the blade through. What you will end up with is a fence with nearly zero throat to get the split sucked up into. Still, be careful. Uneven pieces of wood (i.e. splits) are liable to shift as they are cut and this can cause binding.

Faston
03-23-2016, 09:42 PM
don't mean to get off point here but what is the problem running splits threw the brazo ? pit run to hot on splits ?

It's that I get greater temp fluctuations when I run full splits. When I use chunks the temp of the smoker is consistently more linear.

Faston
03-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Sounds like many of you use a miter saw without problem. It's just losing control of a split and ruining a saw has made me wary of the dangers. Perhaps the use of good fence as suggested might help but truthfully it still seems risky. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

sfisch
03-23-2016, 10:04 PM
I have found that I can maintain much better temp control using chunks rather than full splits, probably due to the size of my smoker. I have been using a Harbor Freight miter to make chunks from splits but find it very dangerous. Last time I had a split get sucked up by the saw blade, stop the saw instantly and shear the teeth off the drive motor completely. I now have a new miter saw but am apprehensive to use it to make chunks. I also have a gas chain saw that I could use but have not come up with a safe method to hold the split while cutting chunks. What methods do you folks use to cut chunks from splits that you consider to be safe. I love my fingers!! :) Thanks!!

I can relate to that except when the saw kicked back on me, it took 2 of my fingertips off my left hand. Was.a.real mess. They were able to sew them back but i have no feeling in them.

BBQ Freak
03-23-2016, 10:09 PM
I use a vise mounted to a board to hold my splits to cut to the size , if I want them smaller i use a axe to chop them down .

Faston
03-23-2016, 10:11 PM
I can relate to that except when the saw kicked back on me, it took 2 of my fingertips off my left hand. Was.a.real mess. They were able to sew them back but i have no feeling in them.

So sorry to hear that!! I'm a guitar player and am particularly concerned about losing any part of my fingers. Thanks for posting.

tom b
03-23-2016, 11:46 PM
a saw

OlyQ
03-24-2016, 12:12 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/masterzito/Imageresizer.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/masterzito/media/Imageresizer.jpg.html)

DanB
03-24-2016, 07:58 AM
Hi Nice saw. Does Home Depot carry that one?
Never mind saw it on the HD website.
Would it cut 6" logs?
Thanks DanB

Deanr
03-24-2016, 08:26 AM
Try a bandsaw, a lot less safety issues.

canoe
03-24-2016, 10:56 AM
i use a mounted vice and use either my reciprocating saw or chain saw. i don't like using my miter saw, too dangerous for my taste.

OlyQ
03-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Hi Nice saw. Does Home Depot carry that one?
Never mind saw it on the HD website.
Would it cut 6" logs?
Thanks DanB

Do it all the time.

ITBFQ
03-24-2016, 12:13 PM
You guys and your chainsaws make me nervous. I got hit in the face by one when I was 17 - I was at work cutting a log in half and it kicked back on me. A plastic surgeon managed to put my shattered nose, cheek and upper lip back together with around 300 stitches. Needless to say, I am a little gun shy when it comes to chainsaws and some other dangerous equipment. Just be careful!

Faston
03-25-2016, 12:21 PM
You guys and your chainsaws make me nervous. I got hit in the face by one when I was 17 - I was at work cutting a log in half and it kicked back on me. A plastic surgeon managed to put my shattered nose, cheek and upper lip back together with around 300 stitches. Needless to say, I am a little gun shy when it comes to chainsaws and some other dangerous equipment. Just be careful!

Amen!!