PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone here use MEATER, wire-free smart thermometer

woodpelletsmoker
03-16-2016, 03:16 AM
I find the kickstarter project https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom?ref=nav_search
and also I find youtube Meater: The First Truly Wireless Smart Meat Thermometer - YouTube
It can withstand 275C degree. “IT” includes electronics of bluetooth.
I discuss with our chinese engineers and we do not understand how electronics can withstand 275C. and how the bluetooth signal penetrates the smoker.
What a technical magic
Anyone here can give me a little know-how
Or Anyone does use it.
Thanks

effinUker
03-16-2016, 05:22 AM
When you contacted the people at Meater and asked these questions, what did they tell you?

sfrancis353
03-16-2016, 05:53 AM
They aren't shipping yet. I'm a backer, so once it arrives I'll give the 411. Right now they are saying they are planning on shipping in July (yes I know it says March)

woodpelletsmoker
03-16-2016, 06:43 AM
Bluetooth signal can hardly penetrate wall.
How can it penetrate steel plate of smoker.
Considering its size, it must have a very small battery, and it must be low energy type.
This makes our China engineers even puzzled.
Electronics on car can withstand 125C.
Usually soldering material on electronics is 250C.
Their electronics can withstand 275C.
Anyhow they are much superior to us technically.

palmtreefrb
03-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Considering its size, it must have a very small battery, and it must be low energy type.

I asked this exact question to the developers and they assured me that it will penetrate my chamber. It really does not need to travel far as most users will typically have the base very close to the smoker.

THoey1963
03-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Another backer here. Got the four probes with the base coming in July or so. We'll see how well it works...

Gore
03-16-2016, 12:17 PM

Leave the vents open. :thumb:

woodpelletsmoker
03-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Leave the vents open. :thumb:
Video shows probe inside electrical stove, which does not have a vent

Q Junkie
03-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Long answer:
I can not speak to the Blue Tooth being able to transmit through the smoker wall, but I think they are relying on the electronics being protected from the heat by being inserted into the meat. In theory the meat temp should not be getting too far above 210° F max because after that you have effectively burnt whatever you are cooking. Above 212° there is no moisture left in the meat. From an engineering standpoint I can only assume how they are doing this but I also invested in the Kickstarter because I think this is a problem that needs a solution.

Short answer:
Magic

woodpelletsmoker
03-16-2016, 08:46 PM
the electronics being protected from the heat by being inserted into the meat.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
If it is true, it is a joke.
Just think, you forget your smoking, the meat will be dry at last, the temperature will rise over 275C.
If you have a thin cut of meat, it can not protect the probe.
Hope both of us are wrong.
We will see in June or July

guero_gordo
03-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Only a software person could have come up with a product name that awful. ;-)

NyteGTI
03-17-2016, 03:31 PM

I'm not a backer and have nothing to do with meater, I just read this and think it's conjecture at best.

The "can't go through walls" comment completely depends on the class bluetooth used.. Class 1 can reach ~300ft, class 2 ~30ft, & old school class 3 ~10ft. Contrary to popular belief most bluetooth goes through walls (class 1 & class2). Most small electronics use class 2 which can go through walls. The meater looks to use that as well based on their claim of 10M which is the class 2 standard.

It just depends on how many walls, how thick, & material it is made from like any other wireless signal. If they're using class 2 it shouldn't have a problem getting through smoker walls & to the unit to then transmit via wifi.
I figure keep your base within about 15-20ft or so & honestly doubt it'll have a problem. Again this is dependent on which bluetooth class they're using.

woodpelletsmoker
03-17-2016, 10:16 PM
I'm not a backer and have nothing to do with meater, I just read this and think it's conjecture at best.

The "can't go through walls" comment completely depends on the class bluetooth used.. Class 1 can reach ~300ft, class 2 ~30ft, & old school class 3 ~10ft. Contrary to popular belief most bluetooth goes through walls (class 1 & class2). Most small electronics use class 2 which can go through walls. The meater looks to use that as well based on their claim of 10M which is the class 2 standard.

It just depends on how many walls, how thick, & material it is made from like any other wireless signal. If they're using class 2 it shouldn't have a problem getting through smoker walls & to the unit to then transmit via wifi.
I figure keep your base within about 15-20ft or so & honestly doubt it'll have a problem. Again this is dependent on which bluetooth class they're using.
It is beyond my knowledge.
Your smoker is made from steel.
Bluetooth thing is placed inside a metal box.
We chinese engineers do not know how it works

woodpelletsmoker
03-31-2016, 05:00 AM
My poor English.
I read again the kickstarter word by word.
Now I understand that It hinds the Bluetooth thing inside the meat.
I thought that its bluetooth was inside the black section!
Its bluetooth thing itsself can not withstand 275C as it claims.
If you forget your smoking, the meat will be dry at last, the meat temp. will be well beyond 100C. the bluetooth thing must be burnt.
It has raised 2 million of US dollars
Technically it is EASY.
I even have better plans/options.
By 20K US dollars I can find better engineers to develop it in China.
I had already have WiFi thermometer, the wGrill.
I need only to change the probe to wireless by bluetooth

THoey1963
04-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Nice...

Teemu demonstrates the reverse sear cooking method using MEATER - YouTube

ssv3
04-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Just got the update as well. We'll find out soon enough I guess.