PDA

View Full Version : Issue with stoker - Stopped blowing mid-cook

socalsmoker
03-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Yesterday was my maiden voyage with the stoker.

After the temp stabilized, I went ahead and wrapped my ribs and left with my family to run some errands. As we were out and about, I checked my phone to monitor the status and saw the pit temp somewhere around 168 degrees and dropping. I panicked and, after we finished our errands, headed home. You can see around the 11am mark is when I was panicking and tried remotely changing the target temps for both probe and pit temp in a futile effort to try and trigger the blower on. I figured maybe there was no more fuel left even though I swore I put enough in, but that would be the only explanation of the temp steadily decreasing.

When we finally got home, I checked the smoker and there was still a full (but almost dead) set of coals in there.

The blower wasn't reacting to the temp drop and even though the target temp was set at 275, nothing was getting it to turn on.

Finally, I checked my StokerX program. I ended up stopping the cook. Took this picture that you see here. Then started a new cook. Moments later, the fan started blowing again and it was working. Really disappointed that something I thought was so stable crapped out the moment I trusted it and left the house. Also disappointed that I still don't know what caused this.

The big temp spike at 10am is when i removed the lid to foil the ribs. You'll also notice that the fan never kicked on again after I replaced the lid.

It's the next day and I still have no idea what happened. I also remember before I opened the lid, I was fiddling around with something on the stoker unit itself, something about a lid detection or something to do with that, but since i'm still so new with this unit I could have pressed the wrong button. I tried going back but never saw anything about a "lid" in the menu so maybe I was seeing things.

NCGrimbo
03-07-2016, 09:59 AM
If this happens again, connect to the Stoker via a web browser and check that the probes are still configured correctly. I've accidentally removed the relationship between the probe and the blower before and seen something similar to what you are showing.

Anytime I see something strange on the monitoring app I use, I immediately check the Stoker's web page to make sure all the probes are configured correctly.

Fwismoker
03-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Smoking meats isn't supposed to be this complicated is it?

socalsmoker
03-07-2016, 12:09 PM
If this happens again, connect to the Stoker via a web browser and check that the probes are still configured correctly. I've accidentally removed the relationship between the probe and the blower before and seen something similar to what you are showing.

Anytime I see something strange on the monitoring app I use, I immediately check the Stoker's web page to make sure all the probes are configured correctly.

you know, I think you're right! just before I foiled the meat, I decided to change the NAMES of my probes.

I changed it from "Pit Probe" to "WSM" and "Food Probe" to "Ribs", just for the hell of it... because the stoker was doing such a good job I got bored and fiddled around with something else which caused me to interfere and mess it up

Next time I smoke I'll do an experiment to see if changing the names of the probes mid-cook will cause the stoker to fail.

socalsmoker
03-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Smoking meats isn't supposed to be this complicated is it?

Ha no but I'm a techie at heart and welcome the added challenges technology brings to a good ol fashioned bbq

ssv3
03-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Can't help you on the Stoker as I have the CyberQ but looks like it spiked to about 300* and dropped. In the future there is no need to wrap the ribs even if it climbs over 300*+ if you aren't ready to wrap yet. 300*+ temps yield moister ribs and nice bark. Now temps dropping that low are a problem and I understand your frustration.

Leftwngr
03-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Ha no but I'm a techie at heart and welcome the added challenges technology brings to a good ol fashioned bbq

I can relate to this sentiment. However, as time has gone on, I find the tech stuff takes my attention away from the cooking stuff. For a home cook, I just roll with a couple therms and leave the forced air stuff in the drawer.

Maybe I'm just getting old.