PDA

View Full Version : Question For Shirley Owners

clweed
02-24-2016, 03:23 PM
How much room is there between the baffle/deflector plate and the bottom grate? Is there room for a foil pan?

Thanks
Lee

Shagdog
02-24-2016, 03:40 PM
2 maybe 3"? Not a lot. It would need to be a shallow pan. A cookie sheet would work

Jason TQ
02-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Top of grate is right at 2" so less than 2 in underneath. What's the pan for? Easier clean up?
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j395/fnbish69/20160224_170625_zpsgtvrzdqi.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/fnbish69/media/20160224_170625_zpsgtvrzdqi.jpg.html)

TuscaloosaQ
02-24-2016, 05:06 PM
The distance can vary with really no adverse effects to the cookers performance.... But if you are wanting to put a foil pan of water... I would say thT is a no no.... For this reason all you will do is cause a heat sink and kill your radiate heat .... The reason i say this is someone once had a big pan of wAter in his cooker thinking he was adding moisture... When actually he was kiling his temps..... Reverse flows need no moisture inhibitors... They by nature create all the moisture needed in my humble opinion...

clweed
02-24-2016, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the replies, i was asking for easier clean up. But I guess most or some of the drippings will vaporize when it hits the plate.

Lee

Shagdog
02-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Some may, but the majority collects on the plate. The plate is made in such a way that it holds a lot. Then just tip the nose down slightly after your cook and open the drain. It's actually very easy to clean.

Fwiw, I've cooked 3 briskets, 3 butts, and a mess of ribs and it was barely enough Greece to cover the bottom of the plate. 30 seconds of open drain and it was all gone. If I'm ambitious I'll take a foot long piece of 2x4 and scrape the plate toward the drain, but it usually isn't necessary.

Jason TQ
02-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Some may, but the majority collects on the plate. The plate is made in such a way that it holds a lot. Then just tip the nose down slightly after your cook and open the drain. It's actually very easy to clean.

Fwiw, I've cooked 3 briskets, 3 butts, and a mess of ribs and it was barely enough Greece to cover the bottom of the plate. 30 seconds of open drain and it was all gone. If I'm ambitious I'll take a foot long piece of 2x4 and scrape the plate toward the drain, but it usually isn't necessary.

Yeah clean up is easy. Use the drain and you can even put a little water on the plate as is it cooling down to help move the grease. A lot of times I would just use a paint scraper after it cooled down completely to just scrap it all out of there. Plus aluminum pans on that baffle might melt with all that heat or stick to it I'd have to guess.

clweed
02-24-2016, 06:25 PM
?...Then just tip the nose down slightly after your cook and open the drain. It's actually very easy to clean.

Has anyone added trailer jacks to a patio model to help leveling and tilting the nose down for cleaning

BBQ Freak
02-24-2016, 06:33 PM
you might just cut a couple pieces of plywood to lay down and just roll the back to wheels up on to give you enough tilt

pjtexas1
02-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Yeah clean up is easy. Use the drain and you can even put a little water on the plate as is it cooling down to help move the grease. A lot of times I would just use a paint scraper after it cooled down completely to just scrap it all out of there. Plus aluminum pans on that baffle might melt with all that heat or stick to it I'd have to guess.

Stick maybe but not melt. I have used aluminum pans in the fb with no issues.

Shagdog
02-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Yea, there's nothing to make it level or tilt other than the ground. I just roll mine so the drain end is just off the pavement. It doesn't need to be much off of level to drain. Even at level, a couple swipes with a 2x4 and problem solved

clweed
02-29-2016, 05:38 PM
I just watched this video by Beefnip that answered all my questions about the baffle.

I thought the drippings drained to the bottom of the chamber.

Excellent video !

Lee

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZT6zjOrq-Y

BBQ Freak
02-29-2016, 07:14 PM
that video is what sold me on buying my first Shirley . :wink: