PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Season is coming and need help with...

chaostheory
02-21-2016, 09:59 PM
With bbq season just a few months away I need to make so preparation. I need some suggestions on warming units to hold temp for a long period of time. like 10 hours. I know you can go with an alto sham but I looking for something a little more portable and less expensive. Something that can hold 15 briskets. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me out?

Bludawg
02-21-2016, 10:16 PM
There's a season for BBQ WTF???

Smoke on Badger Mountain
02-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth Blu! May be the OP means comp season.

chaostheory
02-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Well for me no, its year around. However, I can't sell bbq at the butcher shop here in the winter.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
02-21-2016, 11:30 PM
Well for me no, its year around. However, I can't sell bbq at the butcher shop here in the winter.

Ok, now I get it!

Wolverine
02-22-2016, 05:47 AM
10 hour hold would be time temp abuse, probably not a wise decision, hot hold is what ? four hours,

smoke ninja
02-22-2016, 06:03 AM
10 hour hold would be time temp abuse, probably not a wise decision, hot hold is what ? four hours,

We had a post some month's ago where a guy who did an 11 hr hold.
Said it was awesome

Name eludes ill look for it when get up

Lake Dogs
02-22-2016, 06:30 AM
I've done 10 hour holds twice. Neither were my original idea, they just worked out that way. Luckily we'd packed a lot of meat in the coolers (aka. warmers) and covered them in old (clean) towels before locking the tops down tight. When we opened them and began pulling the meat we were still burning our fingers... I will say that the meat was over-cooked, but luckly not complete mush by any stretch.

Richard_
02-22-2016, 07:06 AM

Where's your butcher shop ?

Ron_L
02-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Cambro sells CamWarmers designed to help keep food hot. You would have to have a way to heat it up at first, of course.

http://www.cambro.com/Products/Insulated_Food_Transport/Temperature_Maintenance_Tools/839/1033.aspx

Another option is the Winston CVAP holding cabinets. They have some smaller units on wheels.

http://www.winstonind.com/products/subcategory/category/holding_cabinets

Hillbilly BBQ
02-22-2016, 08:12 AM
If you get a warming unit, I saw a great deal on these as well.

Amazon.com: Carlisle PC300N03 Cateraide Insulated Front End Loading Food Pan Carrier, 5 Pan Capacity, Black: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511sbGOBvgL.@@AMEPARAM@@511sbGOBvgL

Thatgrimguy
02-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Aaron Franklin does it every.single.day. the 4 hours is for 40-140. You can hold over 140 indefinitely. Your risk isn't health, but quality degredation.

landarc
02-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Get an active holding unit, I know Cambro used to make them. Runs on electricity, a simple low heat element in a normal insulated Cambro unit. Holds at 140F to 165F. You can add a pan of boiling water to increase humidity.

Failing that, there really aren't better options than a Cambro or similar unit, there's a reason restaurants and caterers almost universally, buy Cambro units

landarc
02-22-2016, 09:53 AM
The CamTherm. It is a hot/cold unit, will hold hot food, can also hold food at 37F for cold storage. It's what I would buy if I did regular catering or vending.

chaostheory
02-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Franklin pulls his briskets off at 10 pm the night before and does not serve them until 11am the next day. its done all the time. The meat will only dry out if you keep it at a high IT for too long. If you get it down, you'll be fine. I need to be able to cook brisket take them off and then get ribs on early that morning for lunch. I think ill look into that warmer you mentioned landarc. That sounds like what im looking for. Ill let you know. Thanks fellas!!!

pjtexas1
02-22-2016, 07:05 PM
I've used one of the holding units. They ain't cheap, the off brands start at $1k.