PDA

View Full Version : Select Brisket Help

Durangutan
02-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Having guests tomorrow and they want brisket. Picked up a 15 lb packer yesterday at a store that has always carried choice so, like the blockhead I am, I never looked at the packaging to make sure I was getting choice. Noticed this morning it's select. Off to the store I go to get the choice I'd intended. I'm going to smoke both tomorrow anyway. Question is, is there anything I can do help the Charlie Brown brisket? I was thinking I might mix up a simple marinade and inject it since time is short. Any suggestions?

chicagokp
02-19-2016, 09:34 AM
I probably wouldn't do anything different on the select brisket. Wrapping it may help, but I have turned out some pretty good select briskets. I don't like to inject.

SmittyJonz
02-19-2016, 09:48 AM
There ain't much difference in Selectt n Choice. Infact many Selects have better marbling than Choice because they grade the cow's ass or middle not his chest. If you do a decent brisket usually then proceed as usual.

Durangutan
02-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Okay, that's all good to hear. This may be a good opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison since I've always shied away from select as purportedly tough & dry. Thanks guys!

Bludawg
02-19-2016, 10:19 AM
I cook select most of the time. Cook it like you always do Meat is Meat. In the end the one one that will know is us.

Ron_L
02-19-2016, 11:23 AM
There ain't much difference in Selectt n Choice. Infact many Selects have better marbling than Choice because they grade the cow's ass or middle not his chest. If you do a decent brisket usually then proceed as usual.

Sort of :-D the carcass is graded by evaluating the color and texture of the lean in the ribeye exposed between the 12th and 13th ribs. It is entirely possible for a brisket from a select carcass to have better marbling that a brisket from a prime carcass. The odds are better with a higher graded carcass, but you need to look at each brisket and decide.

SmokinCW
02-19-2016, 11:45 AM
I would just make sure to go low n slow. I prefer no injection. I've had lots of select briskets that turned out great. Good luck.

mchar69
02-19-2016, 01:06 PM
I've had luck buying a floppy brisket, not a stiff one.

Durangutan
02-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Thanks again guys. I guess I've pooh-poohed select since I'd seen frequent reference to them as too lean but I'm sure gonna find out tomorrow. My shopping today yielded only one choice brisket pushing $90. Weak and fragile as my reputation may be it's not worth THAT much! I did find a better looking select brisket though and since my wife's co-workers will eat anything, I'll smoke both and send one to work with her and hope the guests enjoy the nicer of the two. Everybody's favorite brisket is FREE brisket anyway -right?

Burnt at Both Endz
02-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Thanks again guys. I guess I've pooh-poohed select since I'd seen frequent reference to them as too lean but I'm sure gonna find out tomorrow. My shopping today yielded only one choice brisket pushing $90. Weak and fragile as my reputation may be it's not worth THAT much! I did find a better looking select brisket though and since my wife's co-workers will eat anything, I'll smoke both and send one to work with her and hope the guests enjoy the nicer of the two. Everybody's favorite brisket is FREE brisket anyway -right?

If you wantta practice on the Wife's co-workers? When the brisket is about ready to come off the smoker, take a can of beef broth and put it in a pan on the stove with a tsp of garlic granules, tsp of onion power, tsp of cayenne pepper, and a table spoon of condense beef paste. Bring that to a boil, then let it simmer a while while the brisket gets done. Right before/as you let the brisket rest in foil, add the broth solution. As the brisket rests it will pull some of the liquid back into it. I even add a TBS of brown suger to the solution, but those Texan's will make fun of you/me. :becky:

Nuco59
02-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Carry on - don't sweat the small stuff. And I LOVE free BBQ- even when it's not "as good as mine" :-D