PDA

View Full Version : A-Maze-N Smoker Tray and Weber Lighter Cubes

redhawk
02-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Would using the Weber Lighter Cubes be sufficient to light the A-Maze-N smoker tray with pellets or sawdust? Not sure if I need to get the butane lighter or not or if the lighter cubes would actually be easier.

robinfresno
02-18-2016, 10:12 AM
I've used them before to light some stubborn pellets that kept going out on a cold windy day; just let it burn uncovered until the starter is totally gone before putting the lid on the smoker

SteveKing
02-18-2016, 11:59 AM
You can use an alcohol based gel to light it. I think Amaze-n even sells some. I use a cotton ball soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol and let it go, once I'm ready to cook I pull whats left of the cotton ball out.

Big George's BBQ
02-18-2016, 12:10 PM
Th wiener cubes light my lump in my Egg without a problem

redhawk
02-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Basically wondering if the cube would fit in the slot in the tray.

Smoking Piney
02-18-2016, 12:15 PM
I use the torch I have for soldering pipes.

Enrico Brandizzi
02-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Maybe you could get some bad smoke with white cube starter. Better the brown ones.

blazinfire
02-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Personally I bought a propane torch. I use it to light everything! Couldn't ask for a better tool for cooking on smokers and grills.

PNW Smoker
02-18-2016, 12:21 PM
I use the torch I have for soldering pipes.

yep, this works pretty well :)

airedale
02-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Would using the Weber Lighter Cubes be sufficient to light the A-Maze-N smoker tray with pellets or sawdust? Not sure if I need to get the butane lighter or not or if the lighter cubes would actually be easier.This begs the question: "Will the lighter cubes flavor my food?"

I think you'd have to experiment to answer this.

As others have said, a propane torch works just fine and leaves no taste behind. Used only for starting pellets a $3 bottle of propane should outlive the smoker tray. Just do not leave the nozzle screwed onto the propane bottle when you're not using the torch. Leaving it adds a gasket and a valve to the single tank valve, increasing the risk of a slow leak that will deplete the bottle.

tom b
02-18-2016, 12:57 PM
This begs the question: "Will the lighter cubes flavor my food?"

I think you'd have to experiment to answer this.

As others have said, a propane torch works just fine and leaves no taste behind. Used only for starting pellets a $3 bottle of propane should outlive the smoker tray. Just do not leave the nozzle screwed onto the propane bottle when you're not using the torch. Leaving it adds a gasket and a valve to the single tank valve, increasing the risk of a slow leak that will deplete the bottle.

Ahha, now I understand why that damn torch is always running out

airedale
02-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Ahha, now I understand why that damn torch is always running outYeah. If the bottle valve has not leaked between the time the bottle was filled at the manufacturer and the time you buy the bottle, it is probably good. But leaving the nozzle on the bottle causes the bottle valve to be pushed open and puts propane pressure against the big gasket between the bottle and the nozzle and puts propane pressure against the nozzle needle valve. Either or both of these can be leaky. Submerge the whole mess in a sink full of water and watch for bubbles if you are curious, but no bubbles is no guarantee against a future leak.

IamMadMan
02-18-2016, 03:26 PM
If you have a benz-o-matic torch in your tool box, that works as well.

THoey1963
02-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Th wiener cubes light my lump in my Egg without a problem

Say what?

airedale
02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
If you have a benz-o-matic torch in your tool box, that works as well.So that would be like a "mercedes benz"-o-matic?

FTFY: Bernz-o-matic. :-) That's by far the most common propane torch brand.

Happy Hapgood
02-18-2016, 05:18 PM
The Weber starter cubes are great. They will not add a bad taste to your fuel.

redhawk
02-19-2016, 10:53 AM
The Weber starter cubes are great. They will not add a bad taste to your fuel.

Didn't think so either. Going to give it a whirl and report back on how it works.

Sumpwitch
02-19-2016, 04:37 PM
You can use an alcohol based gel to light it. I think Amaze-n even sells some. I use a cotton ball soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol and let it go, once I'm ready to cook I pull whats left of the cotton ball out.

+1

Old pickle jar, bag of cotton balls, bottle of rubbing alcohol. Get 400+ "starter balls" for less than $6

I use them to clean off my maverick food probe/thermapen too.

redhawk
03-03-2016, 08:59 AM
So I used one weber starter cube under one of the corners of the tray and it lit it perfectly. I had a tall flame on the pellets when the cube was finished, which I let burn for 10 minutes before blowing it out. If you don't have a butane torch, I recommend the cubes as you just light it once and then can walk away while it lights the pellets.

robinfresno
03-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Also if you have trouble with pellets staying lit try microwaving 1cup of them for 1 minute. This worked for me recently as they kept going out after the part initially lit burned out. We've had a ton of rain and you could see the moisture on the inside of the pyrex cup when I popped them out of the microwave.