PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Beef??

skwerlee
02-13-2016, 07:03 PM
What's the word on the USDA Choice Premium Beef steaks from Walmart? I picked up a extra thick ribeye and a couple of extra thick top sirloin steaks. They look real good.

mikemci
02-13-2016, 07:09 PM
I don't know about their steaks but I've had good luck with the choice briskets.

mrboy
02-13-2016, 07:30 PM
USDA Choice is the same wherever you buy it. If it's Choice, it's pretty good, if it's Prime, it's excellent.

LYU370
02-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Choice is Choice. If the price is right I buy it.

mchar69
02-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Hey skwerlee - how about letting us know how you like them - I've only had the briskets and had no problems.

sknabnoj
02-13-2016, 11:17 PM
I've cooked my fair share of Wally World's Choice steaks, roasts and briskets. I've been happy with the reasonable prices and good meat...

RolandJT
02-14-2016, 12:14 AM
I think it's a really good brand.

Some of our local stores run better value specials, so I don't eat it much. The briskets are a good deal.

Smookey
02-14-2016, 05:13 AM
Make sure USDA Choice is written and the steaks have some marbling on them and it is a clean Walmart. Some of Walmart butcher shops are very dirty and they repackage the whole thing over and over. Walmart shoppers can not afford meat.

16Adams
02-14-2016, 06:12 AM
Walmart is a store not a breed.

smoke ninja
02-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Make sure USDA Choice is written and the steaks have some marbling on them and it is a clean Walmart. Some of Walmart butcher shops are very dirty and they repackage the whole thing over and over. Walmart shoppers can not afford meat.

How do you know all of this?

USMC
02-14-2016, 09:55 AM
I've had good luck with Walmart meats. Only thing I dislike is their beef ribs that have hardly any meat on them.

Bludawg
02-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Must be NEW YAWK CITY thing
I've had good luck with Walmart meats. Only thing I dislike is their beef ribs that have hardly any meat on them.
I can't find good dinos anywhere round here all they sell is sinew on a stick Walmart or not. I get beef & whole chickens from Walmart I won't by any pork products as its all Enhanced

16Adams
02-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Guys those beef rib shiners make a killer stock for green chile stew or Texas Red. Smoke/roast or broil seasoned with S&P or Lawreys. Then let them simmer overnight in a crock with beef boxed beef or chicken stock. Take off the table spoon of meat and enjoy or leave in the stock.

They suck for a beef rib feed IMHO. Takes 3 rack per person

If you have a store with a butcher and they have short ribs in the display they probably have the 4 bone "beef back" ribs in the freezer. Ask the suit behind the counter.

Bludawg
02-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Guys those beef rib shiners make a killer stock for green chile stew or Texas Red. Smoke/roast or broil seasoned with S&P or Lawreys. Then let them simmer overnight in a crock with beef boxed beef or chicken stock. Take off the table spoon of meat and enjoy or leave in the stock.

They suck for a beef rib feed IMHO. Takes 3 rack per person

If you have a store with a butcher and they have short ribs in the display they probably have the 4 bone "beef back" ribs in the freezer. Ask the suit behind the counter.
I agree with ya Adams my problem I have 3 limited choices Wal mart HEB & Brookshire Bro they don't know what a short rib is let alone a 4 bone rack.

Porcine Perfection
02-14-2016, 11:50 AM
I work on the cash registers in Walmart's on almost a daily basis. To be kind the stores in the Kansas City region have terrible meat. I have yet to find a brisket I would buy and their steaks look like they are a week old. I know from the things I read here that this must be a regional problem because I hear good things from other parts of the country.

Smookey
02-14-2016, 02:13 PM
because i used to work with some of these corp.

as for your all other questions please google the following words.

beef brand program usda

or see the following link

https://www.ams.usda.gov/services/auditing/certified-beef-programs/g2

smoke ninja
02-14-2016, 02:33 PM
because i used to work with some of these corp.

as for your all other questions please google the following words.

beef brand program usda

or see the following link

https://www.ams.usda.gov/services/auditing/certified-beef-programs/g2

I dont think i understand what your trying to say.

Can you corroborate anything you've stared in this thread?

aawa
02-14-2016, 04:10 PM

I'm just wondering what this whole Walmart shoppers can't afford meat thing is. Not all Walmarts are located in areas where poverty is rampant....

skwerlee
02-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Hey skwerlee - how about letting us know how you like them - I've only had the briskets and had no problems.

The beef I purchased from Walmart was very good. I have no complaints.

Dominic4927
02-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Walmart in my area has always had the best beef and pork around compared to their competitors. Not better than the butcher down the road but I never hesitate to buy any meat there. If the wife and I are having multiple guests for a cook out, that's where I'm shopping. I'm located an hour northwest of Philly if that means anything.

mchar69
02-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Full Packers at Walmart = excellent success for me...
you got a beef? F off, don't poison the well. Many enjoy WM beef.

mikemci
02-18-2016, 08:56 PM
I work on the cash registers in Walmart's on almost a daily basis. To be kind the stores in the Kansas City region have terrible meat. I have yet to find a brisket I would buy and their steaks look like they are a week old. I know from the things I read here that this "must be a regional problem" because I hear good things from other parts of the country.

Must be, I just picked up 2 very nice CAB choice briskets at my "Texas" Walmart. I've had many excellent briskets from there. Also, I guess I'm the only Walmart shopper that can afford meat! :crazy:

Smookey
02-19-2016, 01:12 AM
I'm located an hour northwest of Philly if that means anything.

Oley, PA or Olney, Philly ??? It means alot. If it is the later, probably the most clean part in your area will be a Walmart or shop rite store.

Mikeinctown
02-19-2016, 06:59 AM

That is one of the dumbest things I have read here on the forum. WalMart shoppers shop there because of many different reasons. For many it is convenient or open at hours they can do their shopping. In my community you'll find professionals of all ages shopping in there before and after work as well as on weekends. To imply that people with no money only shop there is just plain ignorant.

Heck I shop there because it is across the street from where I live and to buy the same items elsewhere would require a trip to several stores and cost ~20% more on average.

Dominic4927
02-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Oley, PA or Olney, Philly ??? It means alot. If it is the later, probably the most clean part in your area will be a Walmart or shop rite store.
Oley. Outside of Reading.

Smookey
02-20-2016, 02:00 AM
That is one of the dumbest things I have read here on the forum. WalMart shoppers shop there because of many different reasons. For many it is convenient or open at hours they can do their shopping. In my community you'll find professionals of all ages shopping in there before and after work as well as on weekends. To imply that people with no money only shop there is just plain ignorant.

Heck I shop there because it is across the street from where I live and to buy the same items elsewhere would require a trip to several stores and cost ~20% more on average.

Good for you. I do not know where you live to be close to a 100,000sf big box Walmart. But in the areas around New York City, and some areas in north and south Philadelphia, those Walmarts are ones of the most dirty stores you will ever see. I once filled a cart of groceries and looked at the quality of people and the cashier looks, I felt like I want to throw up an left the store. And yes the quality of shoppers in Walmart is different than wegmans' period. In Mt Laurel NJ for example, you have walmart next to target, next to costco next to Wegman's all on the same block. no body shops at that Walmart.
The walmarts in Philadelphia is where they take pictures for the people of walmart. it is not uncommon to see the naked butts of the customer in front of you

Smookey
02-20-2016, 02:10 AM

I want to add that I feel angry when the people in fornt of me at the only cashier open are all paying with food stamps while I have to pay from my wages. What are they buying? frozen large pizza, snacks, large candy, frozen chicken wings, junk, junk and more junk food. The produce bags are left for days until they start to be brown same as the repackaged meat.

Mikeinctown
02-22-2016, 07:57 AM
I want to add that I feel angry when the people in fornt of me at the only cashier open are all paying with food stamps while I have to pay from my wages. What are they buying? frozen large pizza, snacks, large candy, frozen chicken wings, junk, junk and more junk food. The produce bags are left for days until they start to be brown same as the repackaged meat.

We have a WalMart that I would describe as being in the hood here. It is at a place called Steelyard Commons. During the week I dare not go in that place during the day or evening, but if I go on the weekend in the morning, the place is as neat and tidy as a brand new store. I have to give the staff credit for all the work they do there because I've seen the place in a normal evening where it looks like a bomb went off.