PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma...Chuck Roasts...

on the hook
02-13-2016, 09:06 AM
OK....In a bind as we are having our kids over for our 39th anniversary and with the temps at 10 now and windchill below zero and forecast to go to about 5 and 15 below by dinner(?), I have a dilemma...I WANT to BBQ, but I'm NOT NUTS(questionable) and decided to do a couple nice chuck roasts...Problem is with 2, how??...1 in oven, 1 in crock, both in 1???...Use a roasting pan???....Anyway, I'm up for ideas...

Bludawg
02-13-2016, 09:43 AM
DO pepper stout beef in the oven, brown 'em off in the DO on the stove top scrape up the fond with the beer put the beef back in add the Peppers put a piece of parchment over the DO and put the lid on put the whole mess in the oven at 300 for 4 hrs or until pull tender.

smoke ninja
02-13-2016, 09:49 AM
DO pepper stout beef in the oven, brown 'em off in the DO on the stove top scrape up the fond with the beer put the beef back in add the Peppers put a piece of parchment over the DO and put the lid on put the whole mess in the oven at 300 for 4 hrs or until pull tender.

Whats the parchment for Dawg?

MisterChrister
02-13-2016, 09:57 AM
I love Q'd chuck roasts, BUT my absolute favorite is still cooked inside. I use a cast iron Dutch oven. Get the iron warmed to a medium/medium-high temp on the stove top. Cover the meat with a generous coat of olive oil, then sift the dehydrated onions out of a couple packets of Liptons french onion soup mix and apply the mix to the oiled chuck. JUST before you drop the chuck in the iron to sear , add a few Tbsp olive oil to the cast iron, put the chuck in and sear to a nice dark brown on all sides. Remove from iron, deglaze the iron with 1/2c beef stock or red wine, and leave the liquid in the iron. Line the bottom of the iron with a couple of coarsely sliced onions, to elevate the meat. Put the meat on the onions, cover, and put in oven for 6 hours at 250. Don't add potatoes and carrots to the mix, they generate too much liquid and your meat will end up braising in veggie water instead of steam roasting.

If you don't have a large enough iron Dutch oven, sear on the stove top in a skillet, deglaze as directed, and add liquid/onions/meat to a covered turkey roasting pan in the oven.

When finished, strain the liquids from the Dutch oven/roaster, and make a gravy.

Fwismoker
02-13-2016, 09:59 AM
I'd cook outside but don't expect you too. IMO the crockpot with some beef broth and add veggies later in the cook would be delicious.

There's just something about a slow cooker... yummy imo.

FireChief
02-13-2016, 10:04 AM
If you have 2, I'd go roasting pan all the way.

Bludawg
02-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Whats the parchment for Dawg? Gasket, keeps in all the goodness. You know how you can smell a pot roast cooking that is flavor your loosing. Adding a piece of parchment between the lid and the bottom locks it in.

LMAJ
02-13-2016, 11:29 AM
+1 on the Pepper Stout Beef

Smokin69th
02-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Gasket, keeps in all the goodness. You know how you can smell a pot roast cooking that is flavor your loosing. Adding a piece of parchment between the lid and the bottom locks it in.

Cooking Short Ribs tomorrow in a Dutch Oven. Thanks for the tip :clap::clap:

mchar69
02-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Gasket, keeps in all the goodness. You know how you can smell a pot roast cooking that is flavor your loosing. Adding a piece of parchment between the lid and the bottom locks it in.

I never knew that. Thanks.

Well, I have never wondered why this is THE premier BBQ site
on the web; selfless responses, help, and you name it.

frognot
02-14-2016, 12:42 AM

Just learned something new today. Thanks Blu!

Had peep's Pepper Stout Beef at last year's Spring Texas Bash and it was incredible.

WareZdaBeef
02-14-2016, 04:05 AM
Two words. Pressure Cooker.