PDA

View Full Version : Gardening for the grill

Artichoke
02-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Spring is coming! :clap:

I'm just starting a few early herb and onion seeds here in the frozen North, but the big stuff (peppers, toms, etc) comes later.

Can anyone recommend a good jalapeno from seed that is moderate heat, but consistent? I hate picking two peppers from the same bush, and getting one that tastes like nothing, and one that is lava.

dport7
02-10-2016, 05:44 AM
Iv'e tried a lot of different seed manufactures seeds. I've found inconsistencies in all of them, that is with all plants, not just peppers. Not to blame them totally, it could be the ground, weather, fertilizer, or any number of things. Although with peppers, I do get the same thing you do, one hotter than the other.
I'm leaning toward the soil conditions, and what the roots are getting for food, just don't know for sure.

Gonna start my herbs tomorrow and the veggies in a week or so.

Best to ya on your garden this year.

Artichoke
02-10-2016, 07:23 AM
And to yours.

Now that you mention it, the best results I ever had were little Italian hot cherry peppers raised on a long mound of horse-manure-compost soil. It was like raising them on a sponge. The roots stayed consistently at the same moisture level but drained perfect.

See if I can get my hands on that stuff again this Spring.

jimithing78
02-10-2016, 09:59 AM
I get all my seeds from Baker Creek. I've found their seeds very consistent.

http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/peppers/hot/

Started my pepper seeds indoors about a month ago :) We're having a mild winter so hope to put them out a little early this year.

Jeff H
02-10-2016, 12:28 PM
I've used various seed vendors over the years and would recommend most of them.

Johnnysseeds.com
pepperlover.com
buckeyepepper.com
CPI being one of my favorite. http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

I would not recommend bakerspeppers.com too much of a hit or miss on baker following through with orders. Not worth it.

Roguejim
02-10-2016, 12:47 PM
I've used various seed vendors over the years and would recommend most of them.

Johnnysseeds.com
pepperlover.com
buckeyepepper.com
CPI being one of my favorite. http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

I would not recommend bakerspeppers.com too much of a hit or miss on baker following through with orders. Not worth it.

Jeff H, are you a hotpepper.com member?

THE ohio boy
02-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Save your seeds from you best peppers of the year and use them next year......I do this with hot peppers of all kinds and my precious tomato garden. you will be getting the best from the plant that is best adapted to your specific climate.

Jeff H
02-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Jeff H, are you a hotpepper.com member?

Why, yes. As are you.

Hoss
02-10-2016, 04:50 PM
The TAM variety jalepeno is mild and consistent.I buy from Harris Seeds.

Dominic4927
02-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Always get my seeds from Pepper Joe's. Very consistent and quality pepper seeds. What I have noticed in the area were we live the climate makes a huge difference on how hot the peppers get. I had a hot humid summer with little rain and the peppers were on point. Years before with cooler rainy summers my peppers were more on the milder side than they should have been

Teleking
02-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Heat and pepper consitancy is based on cross pollination from different types of peppers planted to close to each other. Put ghost peppers next to sweet bells and let me know how that turns out.

oifmarine2003
02-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Save your seeds from you best peppers of the year and use them next year......I do this with hot peppers of all kinds and my precious tomato garden. you will be getting the best from the plant that is best adapted to your specific climate.

They have to be heirloom in order to save the seeds to use the following year. Any kind of hybrid breed won't work for that. I think.

Teleking
02-10-2016, 07:44 PM
They have to be heirloom in order to save the seeds to use the following year. Any kind of hybrid breed won't work for that. I think.

They will grow, how do you think peppers keep getting hotter year by year?

dport7
02-10-2016, 08:03 PM
And to yours.

Now that you mention it, the best results I ever had were little Italian hot cherry peppers raised on a long mound of horse-manure-compost soil. It was like raising them on a sponge. The roots stayed consistently at the same moisture level but drained perfect.

See if I can get my hands on that stuff again this Spring.

Yep, horse manure is very good, I go to the pasture and gather it for the compost pile and also layer some in around the base of the plants.
All the nutrients and minerals drain into the ground from watering, makes for good growth.

Artichoke
02-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Much thanks, guys, for the info, and for the links to seed catalogs I haven't seen before. :-D

Teleking
02-11-2016, 05:21 AM
Yep, horse manure is very good, I go to the pasture and gather it for the compost pile and also layer some in around the base of the plants.
All the nutrients and minerals drain into the ground from watering, makes for good growth.

To many weeds unless it's very well composted.

dport7
02-11-2016, 08:35 AM
To many weeds unless it's very well composted.

Yep, cow manure is best, because of digestion.

Gulfbeachman
02-11-2016, 09:44 AM
I get all my seeds from Baker Creek. I've found their seeds very consistent.

http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/peppers/hot/

Started my pepper seeds indoors about a month ago :) We're having a mild winter so hope to put them out a little early this year.

Thanks for posting a link....I too have had mixed results from plants bought from the big box stores.

The weather has been warm for us this year and am ready to plant.

It will be 80 today in Austin..thanks again!

Randall Lee
02-11-2016, 10:05 AM
I've all ways picked plants at the big box stores but like the Mammoth or the Mucho Nocho the larger growing peppers. One thing to remember about peppers is the picking time, once the peppers starts getting the darker ruff vane on the skin the hotter it is. If you let it stay until it starts to turn red the sweeter the flesh gets.

gsmith
02-12-2016, 07:21 AM
So I read through this thread yesterday, clicked on some of the links and started thinking about our garden. Then I went home, grabbed a beer and brought the dog out to exercise. 8º out, 10" of snow on the ground and my beer started icing up in my hand. I guess we still have a little ways to go... :laugh: