PDA

View Full Version : Drippings make smoke flavor?

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Noticed a few people describing drippings flashing on the coals as producing a "smokey" flavor. I've been been cooking over coals for a few years in UDS and bullet style cookers and always thought that smoke flavor comes from wood.

Back in the days of UDS vs WSM I've heard the flashing up of drippings described as a type of BBQ flavor but not as smoke. :twitch: Smoke flavor I thought was from burning wood or am I :crazy:

This is just more a curiosity thing... UDS folks and other people that cook directly over charcoal how would you describe the fatty vapor that flashes up from the coals and imparts that unique flavor?

Edonis13
02-06-2016, 05:24 PM
"BBQ flavor" is probably the best way to describe it. It is certainly different from straight up clean smoke.

Gore
02-06-2016, 05:26 PM
It is a smoke flavor, but not my preferred smoke flavor.

Jason TQ
02-06-2016, 05:28 PM
BBQ wafted steam flavored smoke'ness?

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 05:30 PM
It is a smoke flavor, but not my preferred smoke flavor. Grease smoke?

Mostly on here smoke is described as coming from wood. You got me thinking if grease was spilled on a fire it would sure as heck make smoke ...just not the type of smoke that most describe in this forum. Like if someone said my food didn't get enough smoke taste or it got too much of a smokey taste then you wouldn't think drippings... If that makes sense?

Happy Hapgood
02-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Weber gassers use what they call "Flavorizer" bars to cover the burners. When say HH steak liquid hits them you can hear and smell it. It vaporizes up to the meat again. I think it improves the taste...on a gasser.

Untraceable
02-06-2016, 05:33 PM
A good example is the "smoke" off a gas grill with flavorize bars. The drippings vaporize on contact and give that delicious smell.

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 05:36 PM
A good example is the "smoke" off a gas grill with flavorize bars. The drippings vaporize on contact and give that delicious smell. Yes good example, definitely not described as how us wood burners describe smoke from splits and wood chunks.

KevinJ
02-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Weber gassers use what they call "Flavorizer" bars to cover the burners. When say HH steak liquid hits them you can hear and smell it. It vaporizes up to the meat again. I think it improves the taste...on a gasser.
I 2nd this and when cooking on the gasser it's always as hot as I can get it.

Bludawg
02-06-2016, 05:42 PM
It's true BBQ flavor. If you ever had BBQ cooked on an open pit(Carolina style) it has a fuller flavor than that which is cooked in a smoker. I really like it that was the reason I built a UDS.

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 05:46 PM
It's true BBQ flavor. If you ever had BBQ cooked on an open pit(Carolina style) it has a fuller flavor than that which is cooked in a smoker. I really like it that was the reason I built a UDS.

:clap2: Exactly, If you wanted more of a "smoke" flavor to go with your BBQ flavor of the drippings you'd add some wood chunks. BTW, same reason I built a UDS

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 05:48 PM
I respectfully submit that the flavor from the drippings of a charcoal fire impart a unique taste that albeit different from a wood fire still provides what one could call a smokey flavor.

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 05:50 PM
I contend that the flavor from the drippings of a charcoal fire impart a unique taste that albeit different from a wood fire still provides what one could call a smokey flavor.

Please choose "smoke" in the Poll. If it's a smokey flavor to you how would you differentiate grease dripping flavor from wood smoke and wood chunk smoke flavor?

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 06:01 PM
I must say I did choose smokey prior to the submittal of my provocative commentary. This I fully attest to. Full regards to you sir.

fnjay
02-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Frankly smoke is a chemical combustion reaction.....you may like some and not others. I like the kind thrown uo from rendered fat (drippings). It's organic and carries a certain taste. To me meat flavors better than any wood.....wood is background in cookers set up as such...not that I don't throw that in also, but look at the difference. We are talking about rendered fat as a flavoring agent is all. I'd state without doubt that NOTHING is a better flavor enhancer than some good Animal fat. If I can infuse that even further into my smoke ring....Hell Ya!

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 06:38 PM
I must say I did choose smokey prior to the submittal of my provocative commentary. Nothing provocative from what I could see. :grin:

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Nothing provocative from what I could see. :grin:

Upon this we will most certainly agree to disagree.

I beg to move to a somewhat dfferent topic. I descried that at the time of my composition of this missive that you thanked every post but my two. Can I inquire as to the reason for this variation in your treatment of responders?

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Frankly smoke is a chemical combustion reaction.....you may like some and not others. I like the kind thrown uo from rendered fat (drippings). It's organic and carries a certain taste. To me meat flavors better than any wood.....wood is background in cookers set up as such...not that I don't throw that in also, but look at the difference. We are talking about rendered fat as a flavoring agent is all. I'd state without doubt that NOTHING is a better flavor enhancer than some good Animal fat. If I can infuse that even further into my smoke ring....Hell Ya!

I also think rendered animal fat is a great flavoring....lol to inside the smoke ring fnjay! :laugh:

smoke ninja
02-06-2016, 06:55 PM
We should remove the "thanks" button, it is leading to hurt feelings.

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Indubitably!

Ron_L
02-06-2016, 07:22 PM

I beg to move to a somewhat dfferent topic. I descried that at the time of my composition of this missive that you thanked every post but my two. Can I inquire as to the reason for this variation in your treatment of responders?

Might I inquire as to why you are typing SO FREAKING WEIRD???

:becky:

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 08:02 PM

I was hoping I didn't have to break out my big word dictionary.

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 08:10 PM

I's just tryin to half some fun. And The Irish just beat NC.

Roguejim
02-06-2016, 09:21 PM
I's just tryin to half some fun. And The Irish just beat NC.

Forsooth, he speaks higher english!

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Forsooth, he speaks higher english!

What you talkin bout Willis?

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 09:34 PM
:focus: Tomorrow I'm cooking over wood split fire vs charcoal fire. I would assume that the drippings truly flash with the fire being so hot and mix in with the wood smoke and combustion gasses but it's just such a "clean" smoke taste. There's a few of us that cook over fire...i.e Santa Maria grills, camp fires, bird barrels etc.. that I assume know what I mean.

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 09:47 PM
:focus: Tomorrow I'm cooking over wood split fire vs charcoal fire. I would assume that the drippings truly flash with the fire being so hot and mix in with the wood smoke and combustion gasses but it's just such a "clean" smoke taste. There's a few of us that cook over fire...i.e Santa Maria grills, camp fires, bird barrels etc.. that I assume know what I mean.

Sounds good. I will be doing wings tomorrow on the PBC. Really love the PBC wings and I too like that clean flavor. Congrats to ND!

Roguejim
02-06-2016, 09:58 PM
I'm headed in this same direction because I don't think my wife and I are completely won over by the charcoal/wood chunk flavor profile. Pork butts are okay this way, but I want to cook one over a wood fire. My UDS (Big Poppa Smoker), will be a Franken-Smoker by the time I'm done with it. It will burn straight wood, or charcoal. Why not? It's already been modified to hold 2 rebar inside, and a side table. Roti is next. Now, I'm just waiting for good weather to do the burn-in, and exterior paint.

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Sounds good. I will be doing wings tomorrow on the PBC. Really love the PBC wings and I too like that clean flavor. Congrats to ND! Not into ND basketball but they did good.

Personally from comparing the flavor of going over a wood fire to that of cooking over charcoal there's no comparison with regarding to that (clean) taste I'm talking about, it's totally unique. Nothing artificial like fillers that are in most briquettes, it's just as natural as you can get. Also the complete combustion of a wood fire, in addition to all the aromatic polymers from the wood that isn't in charcoal briquettes, plus it's largely open top cooking. Open top to closed lid is night and day.

Ugh...now I'm getting off track. Bottom line is when I say clean taste... that's only something that can be achieved with cooking with a real fire. Although I still have many charcoal cookers and even a gas grill...all of which has a purpose.

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Sometimes when I am doing wings I leave the lid off for a few minutes toward the end.

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 10:36 PM
Hey Keith: just pulling your leg above. I would like to taste that all wood cook you talk about. To me it seems like the concentrated smoke coming from a barrel would make the food taste too smokey like your clothes smell after sitting around a campfire. I wonder if people who are not as used to eating smoked meat would like it?

Fwismoker
02-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Hey Keith: just pulling your leg above. I would like to taste that all wood cook you talk about. To me it seems like the concentrated smoke coming from a barrel would make the food taste too smokey like your clothes smell after sitting around a campfire. I wonder if people who are not as used to eating smoked meat would like it?

Not sure exactly what you mean. Smokeninja can maybe step in and share his experience so far... I know he likes wood more now than charcoal both using his offset and wood barrel.

IamMadMan
02-06-2016, 10:52 PM
I save the drippings when I don't return all of them to the meat due to a larger volume of liquid.

I chill the drippings to skim the fat, and return what I want to the meat. The rest I vac-seal and freeze to add to stews, soups, beans, and other indoor cooking during the cold winter months when the snow/winds forbid the use of the smoker.. It also helps to make great gravy for meatloaf...

Skimming the solid grease eliminates the heavy greasy flavor, but adds a smokey and a BBQ flavor to other foods not cooked in a smoker.

jbounds286
02-06-2016, 11:12 PM

is it possible for u to ever stop crying? my god :laugh:

Bob C Cue
02-06-2016, 11:16 PM
is it possible for u to ever stop crying? my god :laugh:

:cry:

smoke ninja
02-07-2016, 07:27 AM

Not sure exactly what you mean. Smokeninja can maybe step in and share his experience so far... I know he likes wood more now than charcoal both using his offset and wood barrel.

Ok i cant speak so much to as what drippings do but i can say that a good all wood fire can take Q to the max.

First yes bob, the live fire barrel leaves your clothes a little camp fiery but the meat doesn't taste of it. Part of the formula may be that its open and stale smoke doesn't sit on the food. All i know is i can taste the difference between wood and charcoal, especially anything on a minion burn. Going forward im looking to build an open style pit that either burns wood or is fueled by coals from a separate wood fire.

I know its unpopular these days to not give credence to all methods but i feel strongly that the best real bbq comes from using all wood fire. Everything else is a facsimile. That's not about bashing other ways im just that high on what i call true Q

Fwismoker
02-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Ok i cant speak so much to as what drippings do but i can say that a good all wood fire can take Q to the max.

First yes bob, the live fire barrel leaves your clothes a little camp fiery but the meat doesn't taste of it. Part of the formula may be that its open and stale smoke doesn't sit on the food. All i know is i can taste the difference between wood and charcoal, especially anything on a minion burn. Going forward im looking to build an open style pit that either burns wood or is fueled by coals from a separate wood fire.

I know its unpopular these days to not give credence to all methods but i feel strongly that the best real bbq comes from using all wood fire. Everything else is a facsimile. That's not about bashing other ways im just that high on what i call true Q If there was a cologne called "camp fire" I wouldn't need it but If I did need it I'd buy it because it smells fantastic! :thumb:

I think more "" "" un "" "" smoke flavor comes out of charcoal cookers. What I mean by that is that most people will recognize the stale pronounced smoke taste coming off most charcoal cooks and not so much from a good wood fire cook because it's so clean and tastes so dang good. Never in a million years would someone that says they don't like smoke flavor ever complain of smoke flavor from a good wood fire cook.... ain't gonna happen.

BTW ninja you can speak to the drippings because it has to flash back up in the gasses and smoke. With everything tasting so good though it's hard to pin point where all the deliciousness comes from!

Fwismoker
02-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Looking at the poll the vast vast majority don't call smoke from drippings smoke flavor...its BBQ flavor, and a few of those most likely catch the drippings because they don't like that type of flavor.

Bob C Cue
02-07-2016, 09:55 AM
If there was a cologne called "camp fire" I wouldn't need it but If I did need it I'd buy it because it smells fantastic! :thumb:

I think more "" "" un "" "" smoke flavor comes out of charcoal cookers. What I mean by that is that most people will recognize the stale pronounced smoke taste coming off most charcoal cooks and not so much from a good wood fire cook because it's so clean and tastes so dang good. Never in a million years would someone that says they don't like smoke flavor ever complain of smoke flavor from a good wood fire cook.... ain't gonna happen.

BTW ninja you can speak to the drippings because it has to flash back up in the gasses and smoke. With everything tasting so good though it's hard to pin point where all the deliciousness comes from!

Do you guys know of any comp teams that use this method? Since it's fast and creates a great flavor I would think it would give them an advantage.

smoke ninja
02-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Do you guys know of any comp teams that use this method? Since it's fast and creates a great flavor I would think it would give them an advantage.

Comp bbq has rigid standards that move slowly. I dont think many are willing to risk taking a chance with the innovation of all wood direct fired chicken. :becky:
(What i mean is winning teams stick with what wins)
I really dont know anything about comp bbq other than what i see on tv and read on this board. Ive heard of a comp team using the pbc (patio daddio?) So its safe to say some are turning in comp Q that has flavor from drippings. Ive wondered myself how bird barrel style chicken would fair at a comp

Bob C Cue
02-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Comp bbq has rigid standards that move slowly. I dont think many are willing to risk taking a chance with the innovation of all wood direct fired chicken. :becky:
I really dont know anything about comp bbq other than what i see on tv and read on this board. Ive heard of a comp team using the pbc (patio daddio?) So its safe to say some are turning in comp Q that has flavor from drippings. Ive wondered myself how bird barrel style chicken would fair at a comp

Thanks for the response.. I know Keith also uses the all wood direct cook method with ribs. Do either of you also do butts and brisket that way? I wonder if I could use all wood in the PBC without damaging the seasoning or the exterior finish since you are cooking at such high temps.

Fwismoker
02-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Comp teams? Oh hell no. I only introduced the BB concept last year and the other way I use it non rotisserie with some add on features only a few people are privy to that.

As far as big cuts go yes I'm doing full racks of ribs, pork butts and brisket over the fire.

Fwismoker
02-07-2016, 11:30 AM
I wonder if I could use all wood in the PBC without damaging the seasoning or the exterior finish since you are cooking at such high temps.

Even if it wouldn't damage the finish I wouldn't do it... For one you'd have no way to feed the fire, it's almost to close to the fire for greasy chicken (I've done it in my Jimmy), You'd need to adapt a rotisserie ring... plus no way to grate cook.

Barrels are cheap, just buy a 55 gallon drum specifically for this.

Ron_L
02-07-2016, 11:36 AM

Of course winning teams stick with what wins. They'd be crazy not to :-D But, what wins changes continuously, so the consistent teams are willing to adapt as needed.

You're welcome to visit us at any competition to see how it's done and taste the food! I'll buy the coffee! :thumb:

LTG
02-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Open fires are not legal in contests. Lots of teams use drums and cook directly over the coals. Lump charcoal.

smoke ninja
02-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Open fire not allowed at a bbq contest but pellet grills and stokers are. :shock:

Must be a saftey/health thing?

Fwismoker
02-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Open fires are not legal in contests. Lots of teams use drums and cook directly over the coals. Lump charcoal.

Not that it matters but they're not talking open fire but rather a fire built in a bottom of a drum which I doubt would be considered open. It's all a moot point anyway because comp folks do what works for them and that's not gonna change anytime fast.

Bob C Cue
02-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Not that it matters but they're not talking open fire but rather a fire built in a bottom of a drum which I doubt would be considered open. It's all a moot point anyway because comp folks do what works for them and that's not gonna change anytime fast.

Darn comp people! wink:

Bob C Cue
02-07-2016, 02:48 PM

Darn double posts!