PDA

View Full Version : First Shirley Cook, What I learned

Mattb82
01-31-2016, 02:15 PM
1. it's amazing
2. I'm in Love
3. Holding temp is really easy, seems like cheating or something

I also found I have three temp zones I really like. Mine is the traditional cylinder so I think it's a little different from the cabinets I see. On the firebox end is 15 degrees higher than the middle and 25 degrees hotter than the opposite end. My patio slopes down so I know that's causing it but I really like the zones it created.

Question I Have is how often are you guys cleaning grease and such off the baffle.

How often are you emptying ashes from the firebox. Immediately? Before next cook?

Thanks guys

chicagokp
01-31-2016, 02:18 PM
I generally clean the ashes out before the next cook. It's amazing to me how little ash there is.

I haven't cleaned the baffle, unless there's been larger debris on it. I usually tip it down (i have a trailer) and let everything flow to the grease drain when it's hot. Then I drain that into a coffee can.

They do seem like a dream to cook on.

pjtexas1
01-31-2016, 02:50 PM
They are the easiest stick burners. If you need to even out temps try leaving all the doors opened for 20 minutes while you start the fire.

tcv21
01-31-2016, 03:07 PM
I agree about the temp. Mine has been steady at 225 since 6 am this morning. No hot spots on my cabinet model.

jbounds286
01-31-2016, 03:13 PM
They are the easiest stick burners. If you need to even out temps try leaving all the doors opened for 20 minutes while you start the fire.

this

Jason TQ
01-31-2016, 03:23 PM
1. it's amazing
2. I'm in Love

I also found I have three temp zones I really like. Mine is the traditional cylinder so I think it's a little different from the cabinets I see. On the firebox end is 15 degrees higher than the middle and 25 degrees hotter than the opposite end. My patio slopes down so I know that's causing it but I really like the zones it created.

Question I Have is how often are you guys cleaning grease and such off the baffle.

How often are you emptying ashes from the firebox. Immediately? Before next cook?

Thanks guys

My first was a 24x60 cylinder and mine ran the oppposite actually. Far side (away from the firebox) was hottest and cooled off as it got closer to the firebox. I like the different zones as well as you could do different things. My driveway sloped down, but would always level the cooker. Play with the pitch or just set it even.

I tried what pjtexas mentioned, but it never worked. It obviously does for some folks so give that a try too. Never bothered me one side was hotter.

Mine was in my garage when not in use so if I didn't get to the ashes right away it didn't bother anything. But I would normally clean them out after the cook. I'd clean the baffle every 3-5 cooks depending on the buildup. You can drain it or I found when it was cool you could scrape it out with a paint scraper.

Mattb82
01-31-2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys. The slope of the patio is definitely causing the different temp zones but I'm really liking it. I moved the cooker around and it reversed the temp zones with it sloping the other direction. Just have to get the Tappaque setup And another run before Super Bowl

Papa Don
01-31-2016, 03:51 PM
I clean the baffle and the firebox right before the next cook.
My cooker is kept in a garage so no worries.
I don't know how anyone could not clean the baffle each time. With mine there is always a ton of gunk on it. All I do is scape it off though.

TuscaloosaQ
01-31-2016, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=Mattb82;3462070]1. it's amazing
2. I'm in Love

If there is a lot of grease and debris.. I let it sit a day or till it jells up.... Get a 4 inch wide paint scraper... Put on some rudder gloves with bag in hand and get at it... Want take long at all

Mattb82
01-31-2016, 08:53 PM
Thanks Paul. You guys did a fantastic job, couldn't be happier

BBQ Freak
01-31-2016, 09:05 PM
I always wait till the next day to clean out the ashes just to make sure the coals are all out and on the baffle it just depends on how much gunk is on it . if it has chunks I will scrape it with a putty knife and your good to go .