PDA

View Full Version : Diy swing grate for my Kamado

Rusty Kettle
01-23-2016, 04:56 PM
I had seen swing grates at my local ceramic grill store and I really love the idea. Problem was they don't make one for my vision grills series M classic Kamado. I went and bought some parts and repurposed a smokey joe grate.

I got a threaded stainless steel rod and some wing nuts and washers. I put two nice pork butts in pans and set them on the grates. I marked the rod for where to cut it so the lid would close. It's not as rigid as I would like but I don't think it will break. It lets enough air flow around the meat so that I don't think it will be an issue of it not cooking correctly.

I would rather have the actual one but for $13 and to have a workable one this will work just fine.

Let me know what you guys think.

Stingerhook
01-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Nice idea, do you mind if I copy on my kettle.

Rusty Kettle
01-23-2016, 07:12 PM
Nice idea, do you mind if I copy on my kettle.

Go ahead. I just copied the idea from a local store. His are better but since he doesn't make it for my grill I just made one for me. I have no plans to try and make money from it as it's not my original idea. Franco at Ceramic Grill works came up with it. He makes them for kamados. I think he made one for kettles too you can always give him a call. Better quality than we could manage at home. Unless you can weld and fabricate. If I could buy one for my Kamado I would get his. He has them for BGE and Kamado joe. Not sure about Primo. Probably has them for the grill dome too. He use to deal in Grill dome but got out of them. Real good guy. His store is not going to be in the same place in April not sure if he will reopen somewhere else or not. So I would call before April.

ebijack
01-24-2016, 04:30 AM
Nice!
I'm guessing that threaded rod might bend or the grate flex. Just a thought off the top of my head, put a piece of thick wall tubing or iron pipe slid over the top of your threaded rod between the 2 grates cut to length and sitting on your washers to help spread the load would stabilize that grate pretty well. The end cuts would have to be straight in order to not bind. I know my Acorn swing grate bent a bit when doing heavy stuff.

Rusty Kettle
01-24-2016, 06:50 AM
Nice!
I'm guessing that threaded rod might bend or the grate flex. Just a thought off the top of my head, put a piece of thick wall tubing or iron pipe slid over the top of your threaded rod between the 2 grates cut to length and sitting on your washers to help spread the load would stabilize that grate pretty well. The end cuts would have to be straight in order to not bind. I know my Acorn swing grate bent a bit when doing heavy stuff.

Now that's a great idea! I will have to try that and see if it helps. I am cooking with it right now so I can't change it yet but I will definitly look into that.