PDA

View Full Version : Sous Vide Sirloin Roast for Sandwiches

mahenryak
01-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Hello. I put another sirloin roast from Costco in the hot water bath Thursday night, and intend to let it go for just under forty-eight hours, to be enjoyed Saturday night for dinner. But the primary purpose for doing this particular cook is not so much for the dinner, but that the Sous Vide really shines in tenderizing this cut of meat for sandwiches--to be sliced on Sunday. If you're into slicing your own deli meat for sandwiches like I am, then I can highly recommend this cook. Basically, I don't season at all, just trim off the fat and vacuum seal. I set the bath temp to 131. Anything over thirty hours is fine. I then season afterward just prior to searing the roast.

Food Safety Tip: When utilizing a hot water bath, do NOT do extended cooks of more than four hours at any temperature lower than 130F .

KORND4WG X
01-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Would like to see the finished product please :clap2:

I've never been able to hit the texture that I like with chicken or beef although I've I've only tried it a few times and only for ~2hrs at temp.

mahenryak
01-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Would like to see the finished product please :clap2:

I've never been able to hit the texture that I like with chicken or beef although I've I've only tried it a few times and only for ~2hrs at temp.

Okay. I will try to remember to take some pictures of the sliced meat on Sunday.

jsperk
01-22-2016, 06:23 PM
How many pounds is he roast?

mahenryak
01-22-2016, 06:55 PM
How many pounds is he roast?

It's a little over eight pounds.

jsperk
01-22-2016, 07:12 PM
It's a little over eight pounds.

So for a much smaller like 2 or 3 pounds that would be to long of a cook?

mahenryak
01-22-2016, 07:41 PM
So for a much smaller like 2 or 3 pounds that would be to long of a cook?

Probably so. It's more about the thickness of the meat. I know that when I first tried to do a sirloin steak I actually dried it out by going too long, and too long was around ten hours. On the other hand, I did preseason so this may have also contributed to the outcome. I should think something more like 12 to 14 hours might be what I would try for a two to three pound roast (just a guess). If I found that it wasn't as tender as I would like then maybe increase a little next time. Also, if you apply to much salt you risk drying it out. I've seen a recommendation to use about a third as much seasoning, if you must season, before hand. I always season afterward.

mahenryak
01-24-2016, 02:58 PM
Okay. Here are a few follow up pics. Everything turned out well. I do like the texture of a thirty-ish hour cook a little better than when compared to the forty-four hour cook. On the other hand, my wife is a fan of the forty-four hour cook. The bottom line is that you are left with sandwiches that are very tender either way.

ShadowDriver
01-24-2016, 03:07 PM
This is a great cook that we don't get to see very often... Appreciate that you're cooking for LONG time at a lower temp.... would be very interested in the texture you're achieving on the roast.

I'm rather envious of your slicer... that's a nice piece of kit!

mahenryak
01-24-2016, 03:58 PM
This is a great cook that we don't get to see very often... Appreciate that you're cooking for LONG time at a lower temp.... would be very interested in the texture you're achieving on the roast.

I'm rather envious of your slicer... that's a nice piece of kit!

Thank you very much. As far as the texture goes, I would recommend a thirty-one hour cook to achieve the maximum balance between the integrity of the meat, and tenderness, for a seven or eight pound sirloin roast. It is quite literally fork tender either way--but, again, the integrity of the meat is there at thirty-one hours and kind of slipping away a bit at forty-four hours. (I did the forty-four hour cook this time because of convenience.) I suppose it is a personal preference thing.

Edit: Once again, remember not to go any lower than 130 F for a long cook like this (actually, anything more than four hours).

jimstocks53
01-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Found this sous vide cook-time chart.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide