PDA

View Full Version : LSG Vertical Offset Rotisserie

GLF5
01-21-2016, 06:01 PM
I've never done any rotisserie cooking but I'm intrigued by it. I wonder if I can somehow install a rotisserie in the warming oven above the firebox. Maybe drill a hole, front to back and insert the spit rod through the holes. Would have to figure out how to mount the motor and such.

What do you all think? Is it possible?

Free Mr. Tony
01-21-2016, 06:05 PM
If there is no direct heat source that the meat is rotating past, it kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. The whole point is to get the direct, indirect, direct, indirect over and over again.

ssv3
01-21-2016, 06:59 PM
I've never done any rotisserie cooking but I'm intrigued by it. I wonder if I can somehow install a rotisserie in the warming oven above the firebox. Maybe drill a hole, front to back and insert the spit rod through the holes. Would have to figure out how to mount the motor and such.

What do you all think? Is it possible?

I have seriously given it thought but have yet to set the wheels in motion. I want to install one in my LSG oven also and it's doable with the right tools IMO. For the motor I think you can attach/install a bracket to hold it during use.

ssv3
01-21-2016, 07:04 PM
If there is no direct heat source that the meat is rotating past, it kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. The whole point is to get the direct, indirect, direct, indirect over and over again.

There actually is a removable plate on top of the firebox from the inside of the oven for full access to direct fire. You can also control the proximity of the fire since the firebox has 3 rails inside it for bottom, middle or top position of the fire grate.

Free Mr. Tony
01-21-2016, 07:09 PM
There actually is a removable plate on top of the firebox from the inside of the oven for full access to direct fire. You can also control the proximity of the fire since the firebox has 3 rails inside it for bottom, middle or top position of the fire grate.

In that case then heck yes! I am somewhat familiar with the LG design, but have not studied them. I figured it was a small opening for some airflow. Didn't realize it had full fire access. Thanks for pointing it out.

ssv3
01-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Plate on and plate removed

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UAg74tf1SPI/VFBZyEyPBdI/AAAAAAAAKlc/ttuKFZr-hpo/w1118-h629-no/20141028_180022.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wUXMaa85dZ4/VFBOy4fmLnI/AAAAAAAAKko/ZDwOUGhk6U0/w900-h600-no/IMG_0462.jpg

FB levels to raise or lower the fire or whatever

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-M2by2hAc6GE/VFBaCsFCcWI/AAAAAAAAKmU/WefOL5aI-BU/w1118-h629-no/20141028_180803.jpg

Fwismoker
01-21-2016, 07:14 PM
I love the idea... the only thing is how to get it on and off the mounts. I know it can be done but just not as easy as having the slot on one side where you can tilt it to put the spit in the motor and bring the handle side down in the opposite bracket.

ssv3
01-21-2016, 07:27 PM
I love the idea... the only thing is how to get it on and off the mounts. I know it can be done but just not as easy as having the slot on one side where you can tilt it to put the spit in the motor and bring the handle side down in the opposite bracket.

Good point Keith! I was thinking something along the lines of modifying the spit handle to be removable? Secure the meat, slide the spit end into the motor, then bring the handle end out, reattach the handle and place it on the bracket. Just an idea. Like I said I have to tinker with it.

GLF5
01-21-2016, 07:30 PM

This is true. Getting the meat on and off the spit would probably require a second set of hands.

Before I start drilling hole's I'll have to do plenty of research to make sure it's even possible.

Fwismoker
01-21-2016, 07:47 PM
A komodokamado set up would be ideal so the cooking chamber can stay sealed.

htrisna
01-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Get a Carson Rodizio and put it on a Kettle and call it a day.
You don't want to drill your precious LSG and create leaks

dwfisk
01-22-2016, 06:32 AM
Not really very difficult if you size the spit rod correctly. OneGrill spit rods are made with handles, counterweights and bushings that all come off quite easily and their universal motor mount is very straight forward. Placing a loaded spit rod in your cook chamber, will be a lot like loading my Santa Maria Ranch Grill, not very difficult for one person.

If it were me, I'd plan on a spit that is 3" longer than the OD of your cook chamber for the motor end and another 3"-4" for the handle, counterweight and bushing; call it cook chamber width plus at least 6", but not to long. The diameter of holes you will need to drill will be governed by the bushing diameter, I think they are about 1" to 1-1/4" so a 1-1/4 bimetal hole saw should do nicely.

To load, you will have the handle, counterweight and bushing off, insert the motor end first (but don't install the motor yet) and push it through the "motor hole" far enough to get the "handle end" through its hole. This means that whatever you are cooking needs to have the same 3"-4" clearance you allowed on the handle end of your spit rod. At this point your loaded spit rod is in the cook chamber just sitting in the holes you drilled. Attach the motor in its bracket. Install the bushing from the outside with it aligned in the hole with the bushing just running in the hole. Add the counterweight and handle and your in business.

The OneGrill site http://www.onegrill.com/ has plenty of info on options for spits, bushings and motors. Personally, I would go with all stainless.

EDIT: I'm thinking left to right (instead of front to back) will work better.

smoke ninja
01-22-2016, 07:36 AM
Instead of running rod through it how about a smaller length rod that goes inside the box.

Think Ronco set it and forget it showtime rotisserie.

Dont know about how/where to mount motor but at least you can get it in out easily

ssv3
01-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Not really very difficult if you size the spit rod correctly. OneGrill spit rods are made with handles, counterweights and bushings that all come off quite easily and their universal motor mount is very straight forward. Placing a loaded spit rod in your cook chamber, will be a lot like loading my Santa Maria Ranch Grill, not very difficult for one person.

If it were me, I'd plan on a spit that is 3" longer than the OD of your cook chamber for the motor end and another 3"-4" for the handle, counterweight and bushing; call it cook chamber width plus at least 6", but not to long. The diameter of holes you will need to drill will be governed by the bushing diameter, I think they are about 1" to 1-1/4" so a 1-1/4 bimetal hole saw should do nicely.

To load, you will have the handle, counterweight and bushing off, insert the motor end first (but don't install the motor yet) and push it through the "motor hole" far enough to get the "handle end" through its hole. This means that whatever you are cooking needs to have the same 3"-4" clearance you allowed on the handle end of your spit rod. At this point your loaded spit rod is in the cook chamber just sitting in the holes you drilled. Attach the motor in its bracket. Install the bushing from the outside with it aligned in the hole with the bushing just running in the hole. Add the counterweight and handle and your in business.

The OneGrill site http://www.onegrill.com/ has plenty of info on options for spits, bushings and motors. Personally, I would go with all stainless.

EDIT: I'm thinking left to right (instead of front to back) will work better.

Thanks Dave!

A lot of good information. :thumb:

Fwismoker
01-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Yea what Dave said would work just much more of a PITA vs when you can cut the slot...but of course that can't be done in this situation.

I'd definitely see if that kamodo-kamado roti setup would work with the LSG offset warmer. This is their chicken setup but it has regular type spit also I think. Rotisserie Chicken On Komodo Kamado Refractory Grill / Smoker / BBQ - YouTube